Defenseman Lawrence Pilut has been called up to Sabres

Brawndo

• Brawndo changed the title to Defenseman Lawrence Pilut has been called up to Sabres
43 minutes ago, RochesterExpat said:

Normally I'm hesitant to see an AHL defenseman get recalled, but I'm kind of excited to see Pilut play.

Yeah if this was Laaksonen or any of the 30 game NHL gets on the Amerks I’d be anxious.  Larry Aviator may not come out of the lineup. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, matter2003 said:

Dahlin said he saw Joker smiling after the game but hadn't checked on him yet...that would suggest something good maybe?  I don't think you would smile with a broken jaw...

image.thumb.png.26b0135f2b3bfc51809d5789663dbe68.png

If he's got a chipped or cracked bone in his face it will probably keep him off the ice for a bit.  And as I said yesterday:  Next time we see Joki on the ice he will be in a full cage helmet.

• Agree 1

46 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Pilut may not see the ice though.  I think Boomer is back in if he can tough it out.  He had a shift in the 3rd period of the game he went down in so that makes me think it’s just soreness/swelling/bruising and after a few days rest he might be ready to go for Saturday.

He might not.  But he's better IMHO than Fitzgerald & Power, Bryson, or Larry could slide to the right side.

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, Taro T said:

He might not.  But he's better IMHO than Fitzgerald & Power, Bryson, or Larry could slide to the right side.

Fitzgerald suiting up/making the team ahead of Pilut I think says something about how they feel about handedness on D, save Dahlin 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Fitzgerald suiting up/making the team ahead of Pilut I think says something about how they feel about handedness on D, save Dahlin 

Fitzgerald suited up because there was no room to pull up Pilut without waiving someone and didn't get sent down because he (& Bryson too) needed to clear waivers to be sent down but Pilut doesn't this year.

Haven't heard Jokiharju is on IR, but expect he is & he's out until the Chicago game.  (Has to be on IR 7 days from the date of the injury.)  Either that, or Quinn or Sheahan is on a plane back east right now.

We will not see eye to eye on the handedness discussion.  IF Lyubushkin can go tomorrow, we'll get a glimpse at Granato's thoughts on it.  If not, let the discussion rage on.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Taro T said:

Fitzgerald suited up because there was no room to pull up Pilut without waiving someone and didn't get sent down because he (& Bryson too) needed to clear waivers to be sent down but Pilut doesn't this year.

Haven't heard Jokiharju is on IR, but expect he is & he's out until the Chicago game.  (Has to be on IR 7 days from the date of the injury.)  Either that, or Quinn or Sheahan is on a plane back east right now.

We will not see eye to eye on the handedness discussion.  IF Lyubushkin can go tomorrow, we'll get a glimpse at Granato's thoughts on it.  If not, let the discussion rage on.

Oh this was confirmed? I saw this stated as a theory for part of why they made the decision 

As for seeing eye to eye on the handedness discussion - it doesn't really matter. The proof is in the pudding - the Sabres, as well as all teams, generally suit up d-men on their proper hand - the data is not arguable. We can debate till the cows come home WHY that is, but, it is. 

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Oh this was confirmed? I saw this stated as a theory for part of why they made the decision 

As for seeing eye to eye on the handedness discussion - it doesn't really matter. The proof is in the pudding - the Sabres, as well as all teams, generally suit up d-men on their proper hand - the data is not arguable. We can debate till the cows come home WHY that is, but, it is. 

Yes, Granato stated publicly that he believes Fitzgerald is a glorified AHLer who will never outright win a competition to be top 6 on a quality NHL team.  <_<

How would you ever get a guy like Adams or Granato who isn't going to throw anybody that wants to be here under the bus to confirm that the players he kept up might not have outplayed somebody that was sent down?  A good leader will never publicly admit something like that.  You aren't even going to get a horse's arse like Tortorella to publicly admit that. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Taro T said:

Yes, Granato stated publicly that he believes Fitzgerald is a glorified AHLer who will never outright win a competition to be top 6 on a quality NHL team.  <_<

How would you ever get a guy like Adams or Granato who isn't going to throw anybody that wants to be here under the bus to confirm that the players he kept up might not have outplayed somebody that was sent down?  A good leader will never publicly admit something like that.  You aren't even going to get a horse's arse like Tortorella to publicly admit that. 

Link?

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

I don't know man. They also seem pretty comfortable with Samuelsson and Bryson on their off-hand as well.

(I know two games played with 5 isn't going to change your mind)

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't know man. They also seem pretty comfortable with Samuelsson and Bryson on their off-hand as well.

(I know two games played with 5 isn't going to change your mind)

This honestly needs to be put to bed, I'm tired of arguing about it and failing to get my point across due to my own inability to coherently explain what I am trying to say, in this case. 

My only point is that, handedness is a factor, not something that is not a factor, or negligible. 

My point isn't that better talent can't overrule handedness. 

My point is that, there's no way the handedness on D, for all teams, so *thoroughly* leans towards proper side that it's *not a concern*. It's a thing, and the Sabres put a degree of emphasis on that factor. 

To what degree? Don't care to belabour that point anymore. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.