GDT: Panthers @ Sabres 10/15/2022, 1pm, MSG, ESPN+, BSFL, WGR

PromoTheRobot

4 hours ago, Thorny said:

Keeping Tuch on line 2 in an effort to balance out a top 6 doesn’t appear to be working. Thompson I think needs Tuch, and Mittelstadt leaves a lot to be desired as a 2C looking to centre a 2nd scoring line in compliment to line 1. We just don’t have the high end talent right now to balance the lines I don’t think, at least for now I’d return to a loaded up top line and hope the rest can capitalize under the shelter of a working first unit 

Skins - Tage - Ollie
Mitts - Cozens - Tuch
Quinn - Krebs - Peterka
Z - Asplund - Okie

I think this is what Granato will go to with his first line shuffle.

The top line will figure it out.  Mitts is trying but bless his heart it's not clicking; try him on the wing with play-driving linemates.  Q -K -P played as a line in the AHL playoffs, no?  Give them sheltered minutes but let them grow together.  The fourth line is solid.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Skins - Tage - Ollie
Mitts - Cozens - Tuch
Quinn - Krebs - Peterka
Z - Asplund - Okie

I think this is what Granato will go to with his first line shuffle.

The top line will figure it out.  Mitts is trying but bless his heart it's not clicking; try him on the wing with play-driving linemates.  Q -K -P played as a line in the AHL playoffs, no?  Give them sheltered minutes but let them grow together.  The fourth line is solid.

I don’t think Krebs, Peterka and Quinn will be on a line together. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I don’t think Krebs, Peterka and Quinn will be on a line together. 

They already have been in the regular season.

I think the benefit of it is that putting Krebs at center with wingers that are younger than him and with whom he's already played, will activate Krebs and his play; it will make him a driver not a passenger.

1 hour ago, Doohickie said:

I think the benefit of it is that putting Krebs at center with wingers that are younger than him and with whom he's already played, will activate Krebs and his play; it will make him a driver not a passenger.

If you need specific wingers to be a play driver, you're probably not a play driver.

The pp drop pass needs to die. 

You can tell we're a young team at times with the breakdowns you see. While Tages pass to no one was awful, I saw a similar pass several times by others and someone was there so I think that was a double miscue..

Power was fine but there's a little gun shy in his game right now. 

Krebs and Mitts along the boards was brutal. 

Tuch is terrifying in a good way. That's a man who's 100% power forward. 

I agree with others that Thompson looks off. It might be just a timing thing. 

Quinn needs more toi. He was surprisingly decent but then wouldn't see the ice for long stretches. 

Lyubushkin is fun. Met his wife and kids oddly enough... or there was someone else there speaking Russian with two kids wearing 46 "daddy" jerseys. 

Rasmus Dahlin... my word is he fun to watch. Samuelsson is a good compliment to him. Dahlin talked ***** every whistle it seemed especially to Tkachuk. 

Olofsson looks better live than on TV. He did some creative skating to find space. 

Cozens was good, he made lots of small plays and he's starting to use his body way more. Also, he is like mini Tuch. 

The crowd was meh in terms of energy. 

Comrie was fine but the book on him is clearly over the shoulders. I worry about the same with Levi. I can't blame Comrie for this game though, again he saw point blank shots and stopped quite a few. Nothing felt cheap.

Overall, Florida looked like a team that just made a deep playoff run. They don't have a great defense but clog center pretty well. Buffalo again seemed to start slow but got better in time. I hate Jokiharju with Power and think Lybushkin needs to be there, that said, Bryson and Boosh works well. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 4

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I caught only chunks of the game. I thought Thompson’s line looked better than in Game 1. Nah?

They did.  They need to be better still. It felt like that line just isn't clicking right now as opposed to being bad or lazy or something else. They kept just missing plays so hopefully that gets cleaned up and we get Angry Tage too.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Doohickie said:

I mean as a regular thing. Two of the three haven’t been stellar so far so it seems like the blind leading the blind. We’ll see though.

Florida is one hell of a talented team. I was surprised how chippy they played though..... Mitts, Joker and a few others need to toughen up their game. (ya can't be afraid to get a bloody nose. It's part of imposing your will)   ... It's only game two and I think it's gunna be a lot of fun watching these guys evolve and hopefully flourish this year. .. GO SABRES 

• SDS unpinned this topic

My game notes:

- Like the Ottawa game, the Sabres were well outplayed and outchanced in the first period, but played better in the 2nd and 3rd, in which they were pretty competitive.  If Skinner buries either of his point-blank opportunities, it's a different game.

- Overall though the Sabres were fortunate not to lose that game by 3 goals.  Florida was clearly the better team.

- I think DG was unhappy with the team as he did a fair amount of line and D combo shuffling later in the game.

- I thought Mitts took a step back from his performance vs Ottawa and was pretty lousy -- although DG evidently didn't think so as MItts led all forwards in ice time.

- Cozens and JJP created a few chances but were not as effective as they were vs Ottawa.

- In order for the Sabres to beat a Cup contender like Fla., they need to get much more from their top forwards than they got yesterday.  The passing, entries, etc. were generally crappy and shifts with sustained offensive pressure were few and far between. 

- Tuch was by far the Sabres' best forward yesterday.  I want him back with TT and Skinner, who were pretty ineffective again yesterday although they did create a couple of great chances that Skinner didn't cash in.

- Dahlin was their 2nd-best player if not their best.  I loved his battles with Tkachuk, who is going to supplant Marchand as public enemy #1 very soon.

- Bryson played well again in his limited role.

- Comrie wasn't bad but he wasn't a difference-maker like Anderson was vs Ottawa.

- I did like their team spirit and willingness to mix it up, although I'd like to see it from a few more guys.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, ddaryl said:

So basically what you both are saying , as a collective, if all us Sabres fans, whom are watching sed game, focus on the same action, or object, and master this ability, we can influence the outcomes of sed games. 

And if we can do that with hockey games imagine what else could be done.

Or maybe I'm just high...

Pretty much, yeah.

22 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

One win isn’t a streak.

Don't worry. We're done.

• Haha (+1) 1

Only read the 1st 3-4 pages of this thread.  Sorry in advance for repeats of what was already posted.

Didn't hear what the official attendance was (guessing ~12k), eyeballing it would say there were actually 7-8k in the building but would believe it if somebody said ~6,500.  Very disappointing, but before the STH wait list started October games were a tough sell (though never this tough) so still expect to see attendance pick up mid-season.  But they still need to lower the PA system from an 11.  Waaaay too loud.

Comrie kept them in it early but gave up a bad one on the 4th.  No idea how that was credited w/ 2 assists because it was the Sabres D-man fumbling the drop back to Comrie that set up Montour.  Grrr.

No idea how Knight got across to (kind of) rob Skinner.  Still believe that puck was in the net but haven't rewatched it yet.  The review request must've come from TO, because the Sabres didn't take a penalty nor did they lose their timeout.  That wasn't clear at the time in the building.  That 3-4 minutes between that non-goal & Montour's goal was the difference in the game.  What should've been 3-3 became 4-2 & just too much for the Sabres to come back from against this team.

Skinner got robbed again in the 3rd but not as badly.

Granato talks about playing w/ "no fear" and he walks that talk himself sending 3 rookies (not positive Krebs is still a rookie, but he essentially is one still whether it's official or not) out for the last 44 seconds of the 1st period.  And having them out w/ the Bryson pairing in the 2nd a time or 2.

Those of us wanting to see Power & Jokiharju broken up got our wish after Power turned the puck over in the 2nd setting up a 2 on 0 that Comrie played masterfully.  But, be careful what you wish for as instead of bumping Henri down to the 3rd pairing, it caused Granato to go back to his favorite pairing ever - Dahlin-Jokiharju.  (Long guttural Lurch moan.)  Can't say Granato isn't loyal to guys he believes in - Jokiharju, Mittelstadt, & Krebs continue to get key opportunities much to fan dismay.  His loyalty was getting rewarded by the end of the year last year.  Can it happen again but much earlier in the year this year?

Power looked much better when paired with Samuelsson.  Expect that'll be a thing until Granato gets to the point of trusting Lyubushkin on that 2nd pairing.  (Which unfortunately brings back Dahlin & Henri as a thing.  Grr.)

Can't say Granato wasn't trying to find something that would work as 3 of the 4 lines were shuffled a lot.  Should everybody stay healthy wonder if Hinostroza gets into a game on the road trip.  Expect the lines would be stronger if he were in for Krebs or Quinn at present.

Liked that Quinn threw a hit or 2 as the game went on.  Had a real nice one on Cousins & tried to hit a D-man behind the Cats net in the 3rd.  He had been getting abused in game 1 & earlier in game 2.

Comrie kept them in it early & gave them a chance.  But only 3 shots through 18 minutes of the 3rd when down by a goal is indicative of where this team is relative to the Swamp Cats.  

Way too many penalties.  Though some were questionable.

Tkachuk is a piece of work.  For a guy that plays with "an edge" he sure does lose an edge an awful lot.  (Usually drawing a penalty in doing so.)  He's what Gudas would be if Gudas could actually play hockey.

In the "no Schlitz, Sherlock" department, Spencer Knight is good.  Didn't expect South Florida to become a goalie factory, but fully get how they decided Levi was expendable.  Especially because it got them their 1RW.  Sabres did a good job against that line at even strength but they still got chances.  That's a very strong line.  (Again, NSS.)

Dahlin had himself a game.  His rush into Florida's trap set up the Girgensons goal and then his goal was a great shot.

Thought Florida's plan of icing the puck HARD to set up a breakaway was, umm, interesting.  It never worked & they abandoned it after the 1st.  Wonder if that's something they'll normally be trying or if they saw something about the Sabres D & forecheck that they thought they could exploit.

Good effort.  But they have to be upset with it.  They rarely generated great scoring chances and the Cats created a lot of them.

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Thorny said:

Keeping Tuch on line 2 in an effort to balance out a top 6 doesn’t appear to be working. Thompson I think needs Tuch, and Mittelstadt leaves a lot to be desired as a 2C looking to centre a 2nd scoring line in compliment to line 1. We just don’t have the high end talent right now to balance the lines I don’t think, at least for now I’d return to a loaded up top line and hope the rest can capitalize under the shelter of a working first unit 

They scored 2 and 3 goals plus 2 empty netters through 2 games. I think it's working fine.

10 hours ago, SABRES 0311 said:

I mean as a regular thing. Two of the three haven’t been stellar so far so it seems like the blind leading the blind. We’ll see though.

But they clicked in the AHL.  The thought is put them in the combination where they've been successful.  Donny seems to be trying it here and there (after PP/PK sequences I think); let's see if it becomes a more regular thing.

2 hours ago, nfreeman said:

Like the Ottawa game, the Sabres were well outplayed and outchanced in the first period, but played better in the 2nd and 3rd

I think this is somewhat by design; Donny Meatballs said he is encouraging them to "just play" but is making corrections in the locker room.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Didn't hear what the official attendance was (guessing ~12k), eyeballing it would say there were actually 7-8k in the building but would believe it if somebody said ~6,500.  Very disappointing, but before the STH wait list started October games were a tough sell (though never this tough) so still expect to see attendance pick up mid-season. 

image.thumb.png.0e6ad39a507409c7249a8bd809c04476.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Can't say Granato isn't loyal to guys he believes in - Jokiharju, Mittelstadt, & Krebs continue to get key opportunities much to fan dismay.

I think this early in the season he's still working to "develop" them.  I don't think it means he believes in them; it's that he's given them the opportunity to grow into their roles.  If they don't grow eventually there will be changes.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Only read the 1st 3-4 pages of this thread.  Sorry in advance for repeats of what was already posted.

Didn't hear what the official attendance was (guessing ~12k), eyeballing it would say there were actually 7-8k in the building but would believe it if somebody said ~6,500.  Very disappointing, but before the STH wait list started October games were a tough sell (though never this tough) so still expect to see attendance pick up mid-season.  But they still need to lower the PA system from an 11.  Waaaay too loud.

Comrie kept them in it early but gave up a bad one on the 4th.  No idea how that was credited w/ 2 assists because it was the Sabres D-man fumbling the drop back to Comrie that set up Montour.  Grrr.

No idea how Knight got across to (kind of) rob Skinner.  Still believe that puck was in the net but haven't rewatched it yet.  The review request must've come from TO, because the Sabres didn't take a penalty nor did they lose their timeout.  That wasn't clear at the time in the building.  That 3-4 minutes between that non-goal & Montour's goal was the difference in the game.  What should've been 3-3 became 4-2 & just too much for the Sabres to come back from against this team.

Skinner got robbed again in the 3rd but not as badly.

Granato talks about playing w/ "no fear" and he walks that talk himself sending 3 rookies (not positive Krebs is still a rookie, but he essentially is one still whether it's official or not) out for the last 44 seconds of the 1st period.  And having them out w/ the Bryson pairing in the 2nd a time or 2.

Those of us wanting to see Power & Jokiharju broken up got our wish after Power turned the puck over in the 2nd setting up a 2 on 0 that Comrie played masterfully.  But, be careful what you wish for as instead of bumping Henri down to the 3rd pairing, it caused Granato to go back to his favorite pairing ever - Dahlin-Jokiharju.  (Long guttural Lurch moan.)  Can't say Granato isn't loyal to guys he believes in - Jokiharju, Mittelstadt, & Krebs continue to get key opportunities much to fan dismay.  His loyalty was getting rewarded by the end of the year last year.  Can it happen again but much earlier in the year this year?

Power looked much better when paired with Samuelsson.  Expect that'll be a thing until Granato gets to the point of trusting Lyubushkin on that 2nd pairing.  (Which unfortunately brings back Dahlin & Henri as a thing.  Grr.)

Can't say Granato wasn't trying to find something that would work as 3 of the 4 lines were shuffled a lot.  Should everybody stay healthy wonder if Hinostroza gets into a game on the road trip.  Expect the lines would be stronger if he were in for Krebs or Quinn at present.

Liked that Quinn threw a hit or 2 as the game went on.  Had a real nice one on Cousins & tried to hit a D-man behind the Cats net in the 3rd.  He had been getting abused in game 1 & earlier in game 2.

Comrie kept them in it early & gave them a chance.  But only 3 shots through 18 minutes of the 3rd when down by a goal is indicative of where this team is relative to the Swamp Cats.  

Way too many penalties.  Though some were questionable.

Tkachuk is a piece of work.  For a guy that plays with "an edge" he sure does lose an edge an awful lot.  (Usually drawing a penalty in doing so.)  He's what Gudas would be if Gudas could actually play hockey.

In the "no Schlitz, Sherlock" department, Spencer Knight is good.  Didn't expect South Florida to become a goalie factory, but fully get how they decided Levi was expendable.  Especially because it got them their 1RW.  Sabres did a good job against that line at even strength but they still got chances.  That's a very strong line.  (Again, NSS.)

Dahlin had himself a game.  His rush into Florida's trap set up the Girgensons goal and then his goal was a great shot.

Thought Florida's plan of icing the puck HARD to set up a breakaway was, umm, interesting.  It never worked & they abandoned it after the 1st.  Wonder if that's something they'll normally be trying or if they saw something about the Sabres D & forecheck that they thought they could exploit.

Good effort.  But they have to be upset with it.  They rarely generated great scoring chances and the Cats created a lot of them.

I think numbers all season will still be way down. Box office prices IMO are high, and the great attendance numbers in the last 20 years were due to crazy numbers of STH at a more reasonable price. 

9 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I think numbers all season will still be way down. Box office prices IMO are high, and the great attendance numbers in the last 20 years were due to crazy numbers of STH at a more reasonable price. 

Prior to the 1st lockout, they'd get ~11k fans for Atlanta on a Wednesday in October, or going back slightly further 12k for the Whale on a Tuesday in November.  They'd have anywhere from 14k to a full house on the weekends.  Could always tell if there were fewer than 15k tix distributed walking towards our seats because the beer kiosk at our entrance wasn't staffed if there were fewer than that.

By Christmas/ New Years the weekends were nearly all sold out & sometime in February that'd be the case weeknights too.

Really expect something similar to that this year.  The crowds won't be much smaller (w/ the exception of outliers like a weeknight Yotes game) & typically will be more like at the opener than last "night" on the weekends.  And would expect a few games against some of the big draws to likely sell out though your point about pricing might depress turnout at those.  (Our prices seem about 50% more than when the crowds were bigger, but in the past 2 years, what ISN'T up 50%?)

If the Sabres are close to a playoff spot, expect actual "good" crowds when we get to the February doldrums.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.