Granato's Comments on Jacob Bryson

nfreeman

If Bryson had a good game great. I also understand they are going to want to give Power more ice time than him, no matter how they perform. What I don't get is if he had such a good game, why so little ice time. He by far and away had the least ice time of the D-men, and was even considerably lower than his average from last year.

14 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

If Bryson had a good game great. I also understand they are going to want to give Power more ice time than him, no matter how they perform. What I don't get is if he had such a good game, why so little ice time. He by far and away had the least ice time of the D-men, and was even considerably lower than his average from last year.

The ice time is the Power Effect. Bryson was average 18 and 19 min/game almost every month until April last season. Power arrives, Bryson is down to 14:22 ATOI to wrap the season. And that's OK. Power is a top 4, Bryson is a #6. He can still provide meaningful minutes, skate in speedy matchups, and make smart decisions that allow Boushh to go play wrecking ball from time-to-time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SDS said:

Why did they highlight his 2nd most frequent matchup?

Also, the math is weird, unless not all the matchups against DeBrincat were 5 on 5, in which case it should say so...tweets are not the best medium for some content.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Because Dahlin & Samuelsson played a ton of minutes & Mule would've had more had his stick not broken.  And Jokiharju & Power still got regular Granato-level 2nd pairing usage.

Actually expected that Bryson had even less ice time than he ended up getting.

Bryson was only out for 1 PK IIRC and din't get any PP time.  That's ~16 minutes of actual game time taking overlaps into account.

2 hours ago, Weave said:

Does that pass the eye test?  Lol

Ha. I need to check my bias because I was getting all puckered when Bryson was out there. But I think that was mostly a product of a 1st period where the Sabres generally looked bad.

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

Power was the one that stood out as struggling. 

I mean woof. He looked every bit like a rookie d-man.

2 minutes ago, Lanny said:

I think in this case it is because DeBrincat is a notable player. 

image.thumb.png.7668678e4cc88844fecba62d66dfa0f1.png

https://www.naturalstattrick.com/game.php?season=20222023&game=20013

That site indicates that DeBrincat was Bryson's most frequent matchup in all situations (12 times, Giroux second with 11) and also 5v5 (10 times, several with 9). Not sure what that tweet is about.

39 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:
2 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

Power was the one that stood out as struggling. 

I mean woof. He looked every bit like a rookie d-man.

Consider that when he came to the Sabres, he was at the end of a playoff run at the college level.  Everything was working and natural and it carried over.  Yesterday was the beginning of his season and it will take a little longer to get up to NHL speed for him, I think, than most veterans of the league.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Eleven said:

That site indicates that DeBrincat was Bryson's most frequent matchup in all situations (12 times, Giroux second with 11) and also 5v5 (10 times, several with 9). Not sure what that tweet is about.

Time on ice, 5 on 5

Edited by Lanny

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.