Around The NHL 2022-23 Regular Season

Brawndo

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Interesting move... not like Ottawa needs cap space, or to free up roster spots, or is up against the contract limits.

Moreover, Zaitsev had a 10 team NTC.  Guess Chicago wasn't on the list.

Capfriendly shows 5 D active (including Zaitsev) for the Sens.. are both D on IR could come back and they'd still only be at 21 on the roster.

I've got to be missing something.

Rogers crew (Friedman) says Otters are looking for D but nothing is imminent.

Seems Chicago is looking to get towards (above) next years cap floor.

1 hour ago, LTS said:

Interesting move... not like Ottawa needs cap space, or to free up roster spots, or is up against the contract limits.

Capfriendly shows 5 D active (including Zaitsev) for the Sens.. are both D on IR could come back and they'd still only be at 21 on the roster.

Rogers crew (Friedman) says Otters are looking for D but nothing is imminent.

Seems Chicago is looking to get towards (above) next years cap floor.

3 hours ago, LTS said:

I can't really figure this out ,myself.  Ottawa is shedding one more year of cap hit on a serviceable, but expensive, defenseman, AND two picks, for nothing?  It's weird.  I can't really think that Ottawa needs room to take on a superstar--and Ottawa had cap room to begin with.

Strange. 

20 minutes ago, Eleven said:

I can't really figure this out ,myself.  Ottawa is shedding one more year of cap hit on a serviceable, but expensive, defenseman, AND two picks, for nothing?  It's weird.  I can't really think that Ottawa needs room to take on a superstar--and Ottawa had cap room to begin with.

Strange. 

But before that move they only had $16 MM in cap space with 6-9 spots to fill including needing to re-sign DeBrincat next season.  Stutzle's and Zub's raises kick in.

Talbot isn't under contract next year either.

11 hours ago, Taro T said:

But before that move they only had $16 MM in cap space with 6-9 spots to fill including needing to re-sign DeBrincat next season.  Stutzle's and Zub's raises kick in.

Well that's it, then; Ottawa paid a pretty heavy price though.

1 hour ago, French Collection said:

Ryan Johansen out 12 weeks for the Preds after suffering a skate cut to his lower leg.

Not that he is having a great season but he is their 2C. I think they go into sell mode shortly.

Wow...must have cut a ligament or something in the ankle. Thats a nasty cut to be out 12 weeks

23 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It’s interesting to note that today on Marek, Elliot indicated Ottawa is hard in the market for a d-man. They want to try for the playoffs, is what Friedman said 

Friedman also said that though the Otters are looking, there is nothing imminent on that front for them.

17 hours ago, Taro T said:

That makes more sense.  If I am reading it correctly they have about $20M in projected cap space.  DeBrincat isn't going to get much of a raise.. if any is he?  He's barely above Batherson in scoring and Batherson is signed at far less than DeBrincat is making this year.

They've gotta be looking to bring someone in.. but then you'd think they would use Zaitsev for the trade?  I guess we'll see what happens.  Your explanation make the most sense so far. 🙂

• Thanks (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

I'm guessing Orlove moves into the top 6 (probably top 4) and Forbort comes out for Boston.

An upgrade yes. But is it enough of an upgrade for what they gave up?  If you are in a win-now-at-all-costs this year mode ANY upgrade might be worth it I guess.

It does give you security in case of an injury to your back 6 though, whoever gets knocked out of the top 6 now can come back in and be very little of a downgrade in case of an injury.

Edited by mjd1001

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I'm guessing Orlov moves into the top 6 (probably top 4) and Forbort comes out for Boston.

An upgrade yes. But is it enough of an upgrade for what they gave up?  If you are in a win-now-at-all-costs this year mode ANY upgrade might be worth it I guess.  To those who think Orlov is gret this is a good move from Boston. I don't think hes great, to me he is 'good', but not 'great'.

It does give you security in case of an injury to your back 6 though, whoever gets knocked out of the top 6 now can come back in and be very little of a downgrade in case of an injury.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.