GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 10/4/22 7pm. MSG, WGR

Brawndo

13 hours ago, sabresouth said:

This was the canes last pre season game. I doubt they were playing their ahl roster. Overall  pleased with the play of some of our young players. They will be fun to watch this year

Teams rarely play their NHL lineup on the road in the preseason, even after they've had their initial cut downs.  Usually use that last preseason road game to figure out their bottom 6, 3rd pairing, & spares.

Kokataniemi was one of the few "name" Canes that played & the goalie is their #3.  (They drafted him w/ the pick they got for Skinner.)

Will be interesting to see who Granato dresses on Friday.  Doubt it is as close to what we see on Thursday as last night's lineup was.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Since when is a 100-points mediocre? This isn't the 21- team NHL where 16 teams got in.

Mediocre.  Middle of the pack.  Meh.  The 16th team to make the playoffs out of 32 is almost the definition of mediocre.  (Especially when you figure oftentimes that team has the 17th or 18th best record.)

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Teams rarely play their NHL lineup on the road in the preseason, even after they've had their initial cut downs.  Usually use that last preseason road game to figure out their bottom 6, 3rd pairing, & spares.

Kokataniemi was one of the few "name" Canes that played & the goalie is their #3.  (They drafted him w/ the pick they got for Skinner.)

Will be interesting to see who Granato dresses on Friday.  Doubt it is as close to what we see on Thursday as last night's lineup was.

I remember years ago my dad and I got free preseason tickets for Detroit at Toronto.

The Leafs sat out Sundin, Tucker, Mogilny, Roberts, McCabe, Kaberle and I believe Belfour was the goalie and they sat him as well. Leafs fans were furious.  The next night they played all of them in Detroit. 

It was such a stupid move. Always play your stars at home in preseason for the fans.

Edited by Flashsabre
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

Mediocre.  Middle of the pack.  Meh.  The 16th team to make the playoffs out of 32 is almost the definition of mediocre.  (Especially when you figure oftentimes that team has the 17th or 18th best record.)

Making the playoffs in the east you can't be mediocre. Not when you need to play .609 hockey to even get a sniff.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Making the playoffs in the east you can't be mediocre. Not when you need to play .609 hockey to even get a sniff.

THAT's what it would've taken to beat out the 8th place team.  0.518 beat the 9th place team outright.  So, for 1/2 of the teams in the east last year, 0.518 didn't just get you a sniff, it got you in.  Mediocre all day long was good enough because 1/2 the teams weren't even mediocre.

Also, sub-0.600 hockey, not only got teams a sniff in the west, it actually got 2 teams in & 2 others had a "sniff" as well.  Mediocre all day long.

Hard to say the lowest playoff seeds in the east were more than mediocre as 1/2 of the Conference was downright bad.

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

THAT's what it would've taken to beat out the 8th place team.  0.518 beat the 9th place team outright.  So, for 1/2 of the teams in the east last year, 0.518 didn't just get you a sniff, it got you in.  Mediocre all day long was good enough because 1/2 the teams weren't even mediocre.

Also, sub-0.600 hockey, not only got teams a sniff in the west, it actually got 2 teams in & 2 others had a "sniff" as well.  Mediocre all day long.

Hard to say the lowest playoff seeds in the east were more than mediocre as 1/2 of the Conference was downright bad.

Uhhhh, you have to beat the 8th place team to make the playoffs, not the 9th.  Besting the .512 Islanders gets you 9TH PLACE.  You have to be better than the .610 8TH PLACE Capitals to make the playoffs last year. #NotMediocre.

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Since when is a 100-points mediocre? This isn't the 21- team NHL where 16 teams got in.

Mediocre is another word for average. 

When half the teams make the playoffs, yes, mediocre is the rough barometer for making the playoffs.

You only need to be, generally, ~ the 16th best team out of 32 to make it. 

Top 16 could all have 164 points and it wouldn’t matter: it’s not the totals that are relevant, merely relative point totals. Though, of course, 100 last year being the 8th seed in the East was quite uncommon. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Point totals aren’t relevant. If the good teams are really good and the bad teams are correspondingly bad, middle/mediocre is still the same place. The point totals are inflated, this is inflation. Ie the bad teams are so bad it’s easier to get points.

Dunno how many threads (Malone) there are going to be where I need to explain how math works 

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Point totals aren’t relevant. If the good teams are really good and the bad teams are correspondingly bad, middle/mediocre is still the same place. The point totals are inflated, this is inflation. Ie the bad teams are so bad it’s easier to get points.

Dunno how many threads (Malone) there are going to be where I need to explain how math works 

Mediocre, by definition, is a disparaging term.  The 8th playoff seed Capitals were .610 pts%, or if you prefer the "DeLuca .500" yardstick, .537 wins/losses. That makes them, by definition, above average.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

4 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Definition of mediocre: "of only moderate quality; not very good."
Definition of average: "constituting the result obtained by adding together several quantities and then dividing this total by the number of quantities."

Mediocre, by definition, is a disparaging term.

Needless straw man considering I explained to you I was using mediocre as a synonym for average, which, by way of the English language, is accurate 

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/mediocre

”not very good; of only average standard”

1 minute ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Mediocre, by definition, is a disparaging term.  The 8th playoff seed Capitals were .610 pts%, or if you prefer the "DeLuca .500" yardstick, .561 wins/losses. That makes them, by definition, above average.

No. Again, see my “how math works” post

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Needless straw man considering I explained to you I was using mediocre as a synonym for average, which, by way of the English language, is accurate 

https://www.oxfordlearnersdictionaries.com/definition/american_english/mediocre

”not very good; of only average standard”

If you're "not very good" then you are bad. Mediocre is not a compliment.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

7 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

If you're "not very good" then you are bad. Mediocre is not a compliment.

It’s not my problem if you desire to take a negative inference when it, by definition, doesn’t need to be there. “Good” is also NOT “very good”. It’s merely good. The definition speaks for itself, it literally said “average.”

Why are you arguing me on this? Can’t you just take it in good faith that by mediocre I meant average? When I’m taking the time to spell it out for you? Do I need or have some hidden agenda where I’m actually trying to disparage the team by using the term “mediocre”? 

It’s the term I used. I have OCD, when you have OCD you tend to adhere to strict definitions. It says average in the definition. I frequently use the term “mediocre”, on this board, to denote average.

As for whether being ~16th out of 32 means you are generally around average, mid pack, whatever term you want to use: the math is inarguable

Edited by Thorny
  • Thanks (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Uhhhh, you have to beat the 8th place team to make the playoffs, not the 9th.  Besting the .512 Islanders gets you 9TH PLACE.  You have to be better than the .610 8TH PLACE Capitals to make the playoffs last year. #NotMediocre.

And the 8th place team DID beat the 9th.  ANY of the teams above that ONLY needed 85 points to get into the playoffs.

The Bruins only needed 85 to make the playoffs.  The Swamp Cats only needed 85 to make the playoffs.  Etc, etc.

• Thanks (+1) 1

19 hours ago, inkman said:

I’ve really had enough of Hamilton for the rest of my life.  His player interviews are boring, out of place and not based on any facts at all.  It’s ***** God awful.  

NEEDS TO GO TO ROCHESTER. 

Yes and Dahlin needed to be traded and the Bills should have taken the other Josh

give the kid some rope.  he’s gonna make mistakes and it will take a few games for him to adjust to being a full time NHL player 

How’s going back to the AHL going to help him? He needs to learn what he can and can not get away with in the NHL 

patience my good man!  

9 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Yes and Dahlin needed to be traded and the Bills should have taken the other Josh

give the kid some rope.  he’s gonna make mistakes and it will take a few games for him to adjust to being a full time NHL player 

How’s going back to the AHL going to help him? He needs to learn what he can and can not get away with in the NHL 

patience my good man!  

I don’t think JJ needs to go to Rochester because he’s not ready (he probably isn’t), he needs to go there to get meaningful minutes in key roles.  I don’t see that happening in Buffalo.  Hope I’m wrong. 

1 hour ago, Taro T said:

And the 8th place team DID beat the 9th.  ANY of the teams above that ONLY needed 85 points to get into the playoffs.

The Bruins only needed 85 to make the playoffs.  The Swamp Cats only needed 85 to make the playoffs.  Etc, etc.

But those points don't just evaporate. If Florida only has 85 points. Those 30-some points end up on other teams.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.