GDT: Carolina at Buffalo 10/4/22 7pm. MSG, WGR

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Pimlach said:

In might mean average, but to me it has a less than average connotation. 

• Promo is an average employee. 
  • Taro is a mediocre employee.  

Which would you prefer?  

I think @PromoTheRobotis merely pointing to an example of the bastardization of words and their meaning in modern culture. Regardless of the literal dictionary definition, words like mediocre have taken on negative connotations over the years. Ignorant is another such word, imo. Words and meanings evolve like everything else. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think @PromoTheRobotis merely pointing to an example of the bastardization of words and their meaning in modern culture. Regardless of the literal dictionary definition, words like mediocre have taken on negative connotations over the years. Ignorant is another such word, imo. Words and meanings evolve like everything else. 

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

It’s pointless because Promo is refusing to acknowledge the spirit of what is being said, no matter how many times it’s been explained that the argument can move beyond one’s chosen choice for the definition of mediocre. It doesn’t matter what mediocre means to anyone else in this case: we have explained that we are using it as a synonym for average.

Why we need to litigate the definition of mediocre is beyond me 

This is my last post on the matter.

As @K-9 pointed out, there are definitional meanings and there's meanings the general public uses. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • dislike 1

2 hours ago, K-9 said:

Yes,  that’s what I was highlighting, the connotation of today. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.