Sean Monahan and 2025 1st traded to Montreal for nothing, do you wish the Sabres did it?

LGR4GM

• LGR4GM changed the title to Sean Monahan and 2025 1st traded to Montreal for nothing, do you wish the Sabres did it?

If we are dreaming in a vacuum, yes I do it.  Then I either retain 50% and trade him, or even just buy him out if I want.

In reality, I understand why Sabres might not do it.  Don’t want to upset team chemistry, don’t want to burn $4M+ in exchange for a late 1st three years from now.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

If we are dreaming in a vacuum, yes I do it.  Then I either retain 50% and trade him, or even just buy him out if I want.

In reality, I understand why Sabres might not do it.  Don’t want to upset team chemistry, don’t want to burn $4M+ in exchange for a late 1st three years from now.

Montreal gets the 1st though right?

Just now, French Collection said:

I would have done it. 
If the chemistry was not working, you retain 50% and move him ASAP. If he wasn’t helping much and not worth an extension you move him at the deadline.

Idk if you could move him. Guy got traded for nothing. 

1 hour ago, Weave said:

Added depth for 1 season?

No assets given up?

Cap space weaponized for more assets?

Im not paying his salary.  Of course I would do it.  

Exactly this.

And if things didn't work out in Buffalo with him he either becomes additional assets at some point this season or becomes the Amerks best C in ages.

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, sweetlou said:

If Monahan had Buffalo on NT list then Buffalo has other issues it needs to deal with.

How to attract players to play in Buffalo? 

TLDR: Now a Series

- - - 

Location, location, location.

Players care about the location that pays the most, the location where they’ll win the most, and the location they like best for more subjective reasons like lifestyle and weather/family concerns. 

The Sabres will be at a disadvantage relative to most teams when it comes to point 3, but the first two points are in their control. We need to draft and develop well to win regardless in this league. If we do that well enough, and keep some paint dry for when we need it, IMO we’ll have enough of the “good team” quota filled that the gap we look to fill WITH those players we try to attract from the outside will be small enough that lacking on point 3 won’t stop our strong standing in location points 1 and 2 from being enough to facilitate the additions we need. 

Sorry if that’s confusing but it’s basically the same as the drafting idea where the easiest way to ensure your prospects succeed is managing what is asked of them to achieve success. If they are stepping into a solid environment, less will be asked of them and they’ll more likely succeed. 

It’ll be easier to attract players when we need them less. Right now we are needy. An unappealing stench.

- - -

There will always be free agent value out there for the Sabres, when the time is right. It’s all about the squeezing and pressurizing, manipulating of the toothpaste tube through smart team building and then winning - forcing what we need out of that market while at the same time *making* it attainable. Adams can squeeze value out of that market by tightening the screws where he can control. 

Edited by Thorny

Would I have taken that trade?  Sure.  But I'm not going to look at every transaction in the league and think Kevyn had a realistic shot at making the same deal.  One team simply can't make all the moves.

Kevyn has a plan and is sticking pretty close to it.  After the last decade I'd much rather see a coordinated team build, even if it does take a while, than pulling the trigger willy-nilly to acquire a bunch of players that become dead ends (see also XGMTM, JBot).

Edited by Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, sweetlou said:

If Monahan had Buffalo on NT list then Buffalo has other issues it needs to deal with.

How to attract players to play in Buffalo? 

For real?  How to attract players?

I’d say start by winning some games.  Maybe make the playoffs once.  Stuff like that.

Buffalo isn’t a big or glitzy city, but a lot of NHL players don’t really mind that, especially FA age guys who are thinking about their family life.  It’s also very close to southern Ontario where a lot of players are from, so that’s a potential asset.

What a player is drawn to will vary from individual to individual, but I’m pretty sure that no players want to go to a perennial loser if they have a choice.  Winning is a prerequisite to being a FA destination, regardless of any other factors.

• Like (+1) 5

35 minutes ago, Thorny said:

We need to draft and develop well to win regardless in this league. If we do that well enough, and keep some paint dry for when we need it, IMO we’ll have enough of the “good team” quota filled that the gap we look to fill WITH those players we try to attract from the outside will be small enough that lacking on point 3 won’t stop our strong standing in location points 1 and 2 from being enough to facilitate the additions we need. 

You’ll need to show me how to use that dry paint you’ve been hanging onto.  

The response that I expect/deserve:

Come On Reaction GIF

• Haha (+1) 1

Would I have made the trade, sure

However Monahan may have been unwilling to come to Buffalo to begin with. Additionally I’m unsure where we’d line him up. 

At his best he was a 1/2C but hasn’t been at that level in a few years. He’d potentially be better than all but Thompson at center but he could also be worse than all of them. He’s looking to save his career and that would require biggish minutes on a 2nd or 3rd line that we really can’t provide without stripping a youngster of the same opportunity. 

Immediately trading him would of been a potential answer but with his value being so negative; would even 50% garner anything?

Technically we could of bought him out at some point as well but that isn’t a great look to be honest. 

7 hours ago, Curt said:

For real?  How to attract players?

I’d say start by winning some games.  Maybe make the playoffs once.  Stuff like that.

Buffalo isn’t a big or glitzy city, but a lot of NHL players don’t really mind that, especially FA age guys who are thinking about their family life.  It’s also very close to southern Ontario where a lot of players are from, so that’s a potential asset.

What a player is drawn to will vary from individual to individual, but I’m pretty sure that no players want to go to a perennial loser if they have a choice.  Winning is a prerequisite to being a FA destination, regardless of any other factors.

Krebs said he liked it here over Vegas because there's trees. Buffalo is poor but it's not as bad as some make it out. 

• Haha (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.