2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

On 3/2/2023 at 11:41 AM, LGR4GM said:

Is this a surprise?  These number are very similar to Scott Cullen, formerly of TSN, was writing about a decade ago.  

Bottomline: Any pick outside of the second is a lottery ticket and a prayer. Even 2nd round picks have limited value.  It’s why trading a 2nd for a Jordan Greenway makes sense.  

It’s also why drafting only one D with 10 1st and 2nd rd picks over 3 years is a mistake.  You don’t have what you don’t draft in the 1st two rounds. 🙂

On 3/10/2023 at 9:19 AM, French Collection said:

I have just started reading a few scouting reports.

Reinbacher is a RHD with good size that plays a solid game at both ends. He is 18 playing pro in Switzerland.

He is the D that stands out given the Sabres longterm needs. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/9/2023 at 12:38 PM, LGR4GM said:

I've talked some on this and it's a major reason the Leininen pick not only angers me but also greatly concerns me. 

Am more frustrated with the Rosen pick but understand how they felt with Levi and Portillo in the wings that they didn't want to spend the draft capital on Cossa or the other one that went high (Wahl, Wahlstrom).  Really wanted THAT pick used on a goalie.

The Leininen pick will be a good referendum on their goalie modeling.  They said he was far and away the guy they thought was the best in that draft class.  If he isn't, time to rework that model.

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

Am more frustrated with the Rosen pick but understand how they felt with Levi and Portillo in the wings that they didn't want to spend the draft capital on Cossa or the other one that went high (Wahl, Wahlstrom).  Really wanted THAT pick used on a goalie.

The Leininen pick will be a good referendum on their goalie modeling.  They said he was far and away the guy they thought was the best in that draft class.  If he isn't, time to rework that model.

I listened to Seth Appert on Sabres Live yesterday.

He said that Rosen was playing as good or better than Kulich, he just wasn’t getting rewarded with as many points. Maybe this is a coach trying to pump a prospect’s tires but he said Rosen was denied points with like 8 shots off of posts in the past few games.

There is hope yet.

I wonder if Tomas Suchanek gets drafted this summer.

He attended the Sabres development and rookie camps this past year.

He turns 20 in April. 6’2, decent numbers in the WHL. He has performed well internationally for Czechia.

He could be worth using the 7th round pick they got for Asplund.

1 minute ago, French Collection said:

I wonder if Tomas Suchanek gets drafted this summer.

He attended the Sabres development and rookie camps this past year.

He turns 20 in April. 6’2, decent numbers in the WHL. He has performed well internationally for Czechia.

He could be worth using the 7th round pick they got for Asplund.

The 7th is 2025, not 2023 (or even 2024). Sorry.

The Sabres recent spat of lousy play has the team in the 11th draft slot, just ahead of Det.  We have been passed by Ott, Wash and Fla.

At 11 who are our best choices?  Does KA go with another forward?  That is where the depth in this draft is, but D like Pellikka and Reinbacher should also be available. Pellikka is a puck mover who needs help with his in zone coverage, while Reinbacher is already a solid 2 way D.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

The Sabres recent spat of lousy play has the team in the 11th draft slot, just ahead of Det.  We have been passed by Ott, Wash and Fla.

At 11 who are our best choices?  Does KA go with another forward?  That is where the depth in this draft is, but D like Pellikka and Reinbacher should also be available. Pellikka is a puck mover who needs help with his in zone coverage, while Reinbacher is already a solid 2 way D.

Is it 10 spots you can move up or 9? 

BPA 

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reinbacher it is.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we win the lottery, will people here give KA credit for drafting Bedard, or because winning the lottery was luck and drafting Bedard a no-brainer they'll say KA doesn't get credit?   

The latter.  That is obvious, isn't it?

• Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

If we win the lottery, will people here give KA credit for drafting Bedard, or because winning the lottery was luck and drafting Bedard a no-brainer they'll say KA doesn't get credit?   

Hard to say 

14 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

We aren't winning the lottery. We'll most likely draft 8 to 11. At least Adam's is becoming consistent 🤣 

On 3/12/2023 at 3:50 PM, Scottysabres said:

We aren't winning the lottery. We'll most likely draft 8 to 11. At least Adam's is becoming consistent 🤣 

And if he doesn’t trade up to get a better draft spot… Whoever he picks there is most likely going to be a damn good prospect.

6 hours ago, tom webster said:

I have a question, because of being Russian and contract status, how far does Matvei Michkov slide and given their depth in the system, isn’t Buffalo a prime landing spot if they could trade up? What would you give up?

I wouldn't trade up in this draft tbh. I think it would cost too much (GMs are greedy) and I think as good as Michkov is, the Sabres have similarish guys around so it isn't worth the risk. If Mitchkov slid all the way to say 17th... Im in.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't trade up in this draft tbh. I think it would cost too much (GMs are greedy) and I think as good as Michkov is, the Sabres have similarish guys around so it isn't worth the risk. If Mitchkov slid all the way to say 17th... Im in.

I understand his game has really taken off since he moved to another club.  Top 5 talent 

I’ll be surprised if he falls out of the top 10 

not sure if his contract but if he is free to come next season and shows up at draft, he could go top 3

2 hours ago, Crusader1969 said:

I understand his game has really taken off since he moved to another club.  Top 5 talent 

I’ll be surprised if he falls out of the top 10 

not sure if his contract but if he is free to come next season and shows up at draft, he could go top 3

He's signed through 2025 or 2026, forget which

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.