2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

4 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Watching some Lukas Dragicevic highlights this morning. 

I like Dragicevic. I want him to move his feet more as there is a lot of gliding but he never feels out of position and he has speed for sure. Will keep on eye on him for the 2nd round as there is some serious potential with him.

I went to the Niagara-Oshawa game today. It was 10-7 Generals. I have never seen worse goaltending in my life. Both teams pulled their goalies and I think both would have pulled them again if they had 3rd options.

For draft purposes, Calum Ritchie was absolutely invisible. His team scored 10 and he had no points. If I didn’t know who he was and focused on him I never would have noticed him at all.

• Like (+1) 2

On 3/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, LGR4GM said:

17: David Reinbacher, 6.2

21: Axel Sandin Pellikka, 5.11

35: Lukas Dragicevic, 6.2

36: Hunter Brzustewicz, 6.0

51: Tom Willander, 6.1

55: Aram Minnetian, 6.0

61: Cam Allen, 5.11

63: Maxim Strbak, 6.2

All the rhd in the top 64 with their heights added. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Thanks (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I imagine that part of the reason that Adams wanted top 12 protected was because of where Reinbacher and Sandin are ranked on their list.

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Simashev at 48 - sign me up. 

wouldn’t even bother me if they took Reinbacher in the first and Simashev in the 2nd 

7. David Reinbacher, D, Kloten (SWISS)

Oct. 25, 2004 | 6′ 2.0″ | 185 pounds | Shoots right

January 2023 Ranking: 6

Tier: Projected top of the lineup player

Skating: NHL average
Puck skills: NHL average
Hockey sense: NHL average
Compete: Above NHL average

Player comparable: Brett Pesce

Background: Reinbacher was a top-four defenseman for his NLA team this season. He had the second most productive draft season by a player in NLA history, behind Auston Matthews, and the best by a defenseman. He was a top player for Austria at the 2023 world juniors. He played regular minutes for Autria’s senior team at the Deutschland Cup. He played for Austria’s U20 team at the 2022 world juniors as well.

Analysis: Reinbacher is an excellent all-around defenseman. His mobility stands out immediately, especially as a 6-foot-2 right-shot defender. Reinbacher’s gap control is quite strong, killing a lot of plays due to his feet. He can close on guys with his body too, and shows a high compete level to win back pucks. He’s very polished defensively for such a young player, and projects to shut down good NHL forwards. He’s able to both skate and pass pucks up ice. His offensive touch isn’t elite, but he has creativity with the puck and sees the ice well. He projects as a two-way top pair defenseman.

Edited by LGR4GM

On 3/5/2023 at 8:43 PM, Crusader1969 said:

Simashev at 48 - sign me up. 

wouldn’t even bother me if they took Reinbacher in the first and Simashev in the 2nd 

For those curious, Dmitri Simashev is a 6'4" LHD playing in Russia and splitting time between the KHL and the MHL (Russian Jrs.) this season. 

Simashev a toolsy defenseman as a 6-foot-4 blueliner who skates quite well for his size. He’s not dynamic offensively, but he has good puck skills, can beat checkers one-on-one with his hands, makes a solid outlet pass and makes some plays from the offensive blue line. He’s smooth and solid defensively, being good on his gaps and retrievals and doesn’t mind using his big frame, even though I wouldn’t call him overly mean to play against. There’s a lot working in his favor.

https://theathletic.com/4257787/2023/03/07/nhl-draft-top-prospects-2023-corey-pronman/

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/5/2023 at 7:43 PM, LGR4GM said:

Corey Pronman has Oliver Bonk, RHD, 6.2 out of the OHL on his list at #24

also have to add Gavin McCarthy, RHD, 6.2 from the USHL at #30

Edited by LGR4GM

58 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Corey Pronman has Oliver Bonk, RHD, 6.2 out of the OHL on his list at #24

also have to add Gavin McCarthy, RHD, 6.2 from the USHL at #30

McCarthy is a local kid.

I do like how for His Player Comparisons He has two of His Top Ten compared to Cozens and Tuch 

• Like (+1) 1

I've talked some on this and it's a major reason the Leininen pick not only angers me but also greatly concerns me. 

11 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Elliot Friedman’s 32 Thoughts link.

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-wrapping-up-the-nhl-trade-deadline/

One interesting thought is the return of the Chychrun trade. A few people think there is no way Arizona gets comparable performance from those draft picks. This is similar to what Brisebois was saying in justifying his multiple picks for Tanner Jeannot.

One source is Twitter linked in the article. It is a university thesis on the inefficiency of the NHL draft. It is fairly long but I read through it and it has conclusions we kind of guess at but provides a level of evidence to support it.

The study was based on the NHL draft from 2007-2014. It is called NHL Draft Biases.

Main conclusions were:

The NHL undervalues prospect points. Scoring at the lower levels is more likely to predict scoring in the NHL. Hoping for a guy to develop a scoring touch later on doesn’t work.

Size doesn’t matter. Shorter prospects tend to outperform taller prospects that are picked in a similar range.

Later born prospects (July-September) outperform their birth year. Older kids get picked more because they have played better at the lower levels due to age, size, maturity etc…

Nationality has no impact on performance. He looked at N.Am. vs non N.Am.

Penalty minutes are overvalued by NHL teams. High PIM underperform low PIM players when picked in the same range. The NHL sees this as toughness/grit but the skill level is lower leading to fewer games played and lower points.

Re-draft status, players picked in the next year of eligibility outperform players picked in the same range who are in their first year of eligibility. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

I've talked some on this and it's a major reason the Leininen pick not only angers me but also greatly concerns me. 

Leinonen must have impressed them at some aspect(s) of the goalie position. I agree he was taken too early, would’ve probably been available in the 3rd round.

The only justification I can see is he was their must have goalie and other teams were looking at him early as well.

The only positive I can think of is the long runway goalies have. He may make it.

I still want Levi to be the man, just like the whole package.

I do want to add one thing. I think primary points as opposed to points can be a more helpful to evaluating prospects. It takes out some 2nd assist noise and also shows who's touching the puck before a goal is scored. Sadly, pick224 where this data was being publicly tracked, seems to no longer be getting updates. 

11 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Axel Sandin Pelikka or David Reinbacher. 

Or about 7 other guys at this point. 

I have to be honest, i did not pay any attention to the draft as i was hoping playoffs were in our future this year. Any power forwards or Physical RHD that actually play defense?

21 minutes ago, Stormcloudmember66 said:

I have to be honest, i did not pay any attention to the draft as i was hoping playoffs were in our future this year. Any power forwards or Physical RHD that actually play defense?

I have just started reading a few scouting reports.

Reinbacher is a RHD with good size that plays a solid game at both ends. He is 18 playing pro in Switzerland.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.