2023 NHL draft rankings

Crusader1969

Not that anyone cares but here is Liger's List. This is a preliminary list and nowhere close to final. If I forgot anyone I shouldn't have... uhh idk I will probably catch it before June. 

1. Connor Bedard
  2. Adam Fantilli
  3. Leo Carlsson
  4. Matvei Mitchkov
  5. Will Smith
  6. Zach Benson
  7. Oliver Moore
  8. Ryan Leonard (as 1 scout put it, if he loses a puck battle, he takes it personally)
  9. Quentin Musty
  10. David Reinbacher (Moritz Seider is the name being associated with him)
  11. Dmitri Simashev (A lot of scouts love his skills but my question always comes back to why isn't he scoring?)
  12. Gracyn Sawchyn (skillz)
  13. Matthew Wood (I think I am over-ranking him here to be fair, he will probably drop a bit)
  14. Colby Barlow (hardest shot in the class)
  15. Dalibor Dvorsky (he reminds me of a poor man's Marco Kasper)
  16. Andrew Cristall (a lot of ppl will rank him higher but I just don't love his game)
  17. Axel Sandin Pelikka
  18. Jayden Perron (smaller yet effective)
  19. Brayden Yager
  20. Gabe Perrault (if he had better skating he would be much much higher)
  21. Eduard Sale
  22. Riley Heidt
  23. Sam Honzek (he's big and has a long reach)
  24. Gavin Brindley
  25. Caden Price (I just enjoy watching him play defense)
  26. Nate Danielson
  27. Oscar Fisker Mølgaard (might be the smartest player in the draft)
  28. Mikhail Gulyayev
  29. Ethan Gauthier
  30. Bradley Nadeau (BCHL hockey is hard to gauge but he's got a lot of the skills you want)
  31. Calum Ritchie
  32. William Whitelaw (good shot but I think he needs work on his overall game)
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

On 3/27/2023 at 10:26 AM, LGR4GM said:

Description has hyperlinks to individual players so you can jump to those you are most interested in. 

I listened to most of this, some good stuff.

Potential second round RHD Lukas Dragicevic was one guy I wanted more information on.

Comments were offensive genius, weak defender, decent skater.

What I didn’t realize was that he has only been a Dman for three years. He is still learning the position and how to defend. This helps explain his scoring numbers, leading his WHL team in scoring.

Reinbacher was in the 10-15 range.

They all love Ryan Leonard for his compete level.

Quentin Musty got some good reviews since the New Year.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Not that anyone cares but here is Liger's List. This is a preliminary list and nowhere close to final. If I forgot anyone I shouldn't have... uhh idk I will probably catch it before June. 

1. Connor Bedard
  2. Adam Fantilli
  3. Leo Carlsson
  4. Matvei Mitchkov
  5. Will Smith
  6. Zach Benson
  7. Oliver Moore
  8. Ryan Leonard (as 1 scout put it, if he loses a puck battle, he takes it personally)
  9. Quentin Musty
  11. Dmitri Simashev (A lot of scouts love his skills but my question always comes back to why isn't he scoring?)
  13. Matthew Wood (I think I am over-ranking him here to be fair, he will probably drop a bit)
  16. Andrew Cristall (a lot of ppl will rank him higher but I just don't love his game)
  17. Axel Sandin Pelikka
  19. Brayden Yager
  21. Eduard Sale
  22. Riley Heidt
  24. Gavin Brindley
  26. Nate Danielson
  28. Mikhail Gulyayev
  29. Ethan Gauthier
  30. Bradley Nadeau (BCHL hockey is hard to gauge but he's got a lot of the skills you want)
  31. Calum Ritchie

There's quite a few there that I would love the Sabres to acquire purely to hear Rayzor butcher the pronunciation.!

• Haha (+1) 3

On 3/21/2023 at 12:54 PM, LGR4GM said:

Perreault is chaos in a bottle. 1 inch taller and 25lbs heavier and opposing teams will need swivels for necks. 

You'd have a give me a name and I will say this yet again, outside of Östlund and Rosen, the sabre have not drafted any small skilled wingers. 

It sounds like Kulich is ultimately going to be a winger (though that may not have technically been his draft position). 

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

1. Connor Bedard
  2. Adam Fantilli
  3. Leo Carlsson
  4. Matvei Mitchkov
  5. Will Smith
  6. Zach Benson
  7. Oliver Moore
  9. Quentin Musty
  17. Axel Sandin Pelikka
  19. Brayden Yager
  21. Eduard Sale
  22. Riley Heidt
  24. Gavin Brindley
  26. Nate Danielson
  28. Mikhail Gulyayev
  29. Ethan Gauthier
  31. Calum Ritchie

Great list. Thanks. I try to look at several lists. Seems like Reinbacher has a variety of different draft ratings. 

Given that, in all likelihood, he’s not going to be ready for a couple of years at least, maybe more, I think the Sabres should go best available and not reach for a defenseman unless he’s rated where they draft (or in the vicinity). But I would like a two way forward who has some physicality to his game. 

Leonard is intriguing. He seems pretty physical from that video break down even though not a 6’3 bruiser. 5’11, 180 is decent size with room to fill out that frame. But sometimes those shorter players can be physical intimidators. Like the evil Brad Marchand. Or Rick Tocchet. Even Theo Fleury (all 5’6 of him!). Or going back Ted Lindsey. 

12 hours ago, FrenchConnection44 said:

It sounds like Kulich is ultimately going to be a winger (though that may not have technically been his draft position). 

Yeah, maybe, but Kulich isn’t a small (or finesse) winger, even if he ends up playing that position.

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

I'm kinda questioning if this draft really is deep and not just good at the top. Seems somewhat average after you get outside the top 7ish.

I have agreed with this for a while and it is why I mentioned earlier about trading the pick for the right piece.

If we end up at 13th or 14th and say Calgary calls and offers Rasmus Andersen for the pick I think I make that deal. 26 year old RHD signed for 4 years at $4.5, puts up good numbers and can slide right next to Power.

If Nashville is willing to move Saros and say Fabbro I’m not hesitating to throw the 1st into a large package to make that deal.

Has to be the right piece coming back but the Sabres just drafted 3 studs last year so if Adams can get the right piece back I wouldn’t be upset with moving the picknif If it is in the teens.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

I have agreed with this for a while and it is why I mentioned earlier about trading the pick for the right piece.

If we end up at 13th or 14th and say Calgary calls and offers Rasmus Andersen for the pick I think I make that deal. 26 year old RHD signed for 4 years at $4.5, puts up good numbers and can slide right next to Power.

If Nashville is willing to move Saros and say Fabbro I’m not hesitating to throw the 1st into a large package to make that deal.

Has to be the right piece coming back but the Sabres just drafted 3 studs last year so if Adams can get the right piece back I wouldn’t be upset with moving the picknif If it is in the teens.

A mid first round pick will take a few years to become an NHLer and may not be a good one. This team needs upgrades now to take the next step. They need to have a pipeline but the team is young enough to let prospects stew for years.

I don’t think there is a sure fire top 4 RHD in this draft. Why not move the pick for one of those and take a potentialy good RHD in the second round.

Eklund wrote this and I think we all think the same about that guy but I thought this was an interesting take:

”Korpisalo and Gavrikov to the Kings….

This trade was painful, because it meant moving a team icon in Quick. It risked alienating your entire rooster who worshipped Quick…But all that has happened since is the Kings win games. 9-0-3 in their last twelve. They are now firmly in the playoffs and gunning for the division…

Who else needed to make this trade?

The Buffalo Sabres. If the Sabres make the same move I believe they too would be firmly in the playoffs… The Sabres are still in the hunt, but barely..The fact is this was the Sabres race to lose…They have been wildly inconsistent, but so have the Islanders, Panthers, and Penguins.. Had the Sabres firmed up their keeper with Korpisalo and added experience in the shutdown Gavrikov, they would be easily in that top wildcard spot. They would have had to give up their first….but I would have to essentially get this team in the playoffs and accelerate their growth..”

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

The Buffalo Sabres. If the Sabres make the same move I believe they too would be firmly in the playoffs… The Sabres are still in the hunt, but barely..The fact is this was the Sabres race to lose…They have been wildly inconsistent, but so have the Islanders, Panthers, and Penguins.. Had the Sabres firmed up their keeper with Korpisalo and added experience in the shutdown Gavrikov, they would be easily in that top wildcard spot. They would have had to give up their first….but I would have to essentially get this team in the playoffs and accelerate their growth..”

Yep.  Instead we got Stillman and no help in goal, but kept a draft picks that won’t see the lineup for 2-3 years if we are lucky.  

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Sad to hear. Michkov was already the biggest wildcard this draft because of his circumstance (contract). This might make things even murkier.  You can’t really believe any news coming out of Russia.

If I was Adams I would be flying Neuchev and Novikov over here today. 

Looking increasingly likely the Sabres will be picking 13th pre-lottery.

Theoretically, they could still drop to 9th, but 1 win in our last 4 guarantees no higher than 12th and we’d have to lose the other 3 and Ottawa would have to win both of theirs for us to finish 12th.

In the other direction, if we win out and everyone we’re chasing loses, we could pick as low as 19th. But we are 3 points back of Nashville for the 14th slot and 5 or 6 back of the others, so movement in that direction is not likely either.

Edited by dudacek

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Theoretically, they could still drop to 9th, but 1 win in our last 4 guarantees no lower than 12th and we’d have to lose the other 3 and Ottawa would have to win both of theirs for us to finish 12th.

In the other direction, if we win out and everyone we’re chasing loses, we could pick as low as 19th. But we are 3 points back of Nashville for the 14th slot and 5 or 6 back of the others, so movement in that direction is not likely either.

Actually, if they win out and at least 2 of the teams they're chasing falter, they could pick as low as 32.  ;)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Theoretically, they could still drop to 9th, but 1 win in our last 4 guarantees no lower than 12th and we’d have to lose the other 3 and Ottawa would have to win both of theirs for us to finish 12th.

I was picking 14th in one of those mock draft simulators last night. Grabbed Reinbacher who was ranked 20th in their system. Seems overly optimistic a result, but perhaps not outside the possible. 

34 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I was picking 14th in one of those mock draft simulators last night. Grabbed Reinbacher who was ranked 20th in their system. Seems overly optimistic a result, but perhaps not outside the possible. 

Even though he’d be 3 years away from playing with the Sabres this would be excellent 

• Like (+1) 1

Watched Quentin Musty. 6’2 winger who is very talented with the puck on his stick both distributing and scoring. Really took off after a coaching change in Sudbury.

Being a Buffalo kid I have to believe he will be in the Sabres wheelhouse if he is there when their pick comes up. Where he is ranked come the draft will be interesting. I have seen some rankings that have him at the back of the first, others outside the first but his game really came on the second half and guys with his size and talent don’t grow on trees. I think he will be a riser come final rankings.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.