Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

9 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

I'm telling you buffalo is going to bring in the Subbans and think that's the recipe to  Success

You’re telling me?  I’m telling you!  That wouldn’t surprise me one bit, but I don’t think they’ll believe that will lead directly to great on ice success.  I could see Subban being a helpful mentor for young D though.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

You’re telling me?  I’m telling you!  That wouldn’t surprise me one bit, but I don’t think they’ll believe that will lead directly to great on ice success.  I could see Subban being a helpful mentor for young D though.

3 hours ago, Curt said:

I think Subban good days are behind him and just a warm body now.

The Sabres love to sell false hope aka hall .. so who do you think its going to be this time

The more I research this draft, I keep coming back to certain players.

I really want Nemec or Jiricek.  If one somehow falls to six, I would trade 9 and 41 in an instant to grab that player.

I like Savoie's talent and Nazar seems like the USA version of Savoie.  Small fast talented forwards.  I just don't see either as centers in the NHL. 

At this point if Savoie falls to us at 9, I think KA has to take him.  Too talented to pass on.  Otherwise, I am coming around on Gauthier.  The more I read, the more I believe he'd be a good player in our system.  My 3rd choice is taking Kasper.  Some will say this is to high, maybe, but he was one of best players on his SHL team in the playoffs at 18.   He is described as big center with good wheels who is 100% effort, a great work ethic and solid skills.  What's not to like?  

At 16, Kasper would be ideal, but I doubt he slips that far.  If not Jiri Kulich really intrigues me.  He is a reasonably skilled forward, but someone who plays a two way game with gusto.  Reminds me of a smaller ROR.  Miroshniichenko's skill level is elite.  If we are going to roll the dice, why not on him here.  Also I really like Korchinski over the other 2 LHDs, although I suspect, none of the 3 will be there when we draft at 16.  I think there will be a run on them, as teams are desperate for the next Cale Makar.  

What about at 28.  The forwards that stand out at this point are Snuggerud and Gaucher.  Snuggerud is a bigger, better and more skilled version of his Dad.  Like Kasper, he seems to be 100% work ethic and effort.  He's also already 6'2".  Gaucher is fast, big, plays 200 feet and can score.  He is said to be one of the defensive forwards in the Q.  Again, what's not to like.  On defense two RHD stand out to me here.  One is Ryan Chesley.  He seems like a smaller, but better O version of Samuelsson.  He is a strong physical defender, who was a leader of the USNTDP and added O when called upon.  Biggest issue is mediocre skating, which is what they said about Samuelsson as well.   The other D is fast high O skill RHD Tristian Luneau, but he is also solid defensively according to the scouting reports I've read.  

Ultimately if we come away with 3 from Savoie, Gauthier, Kasper, Kulich, Miro, Snuggerud, Gaucher, Chesley or Luneau, I'll be thrilled.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I really want Nemec or Jiricek.  If one somehow falls to six, I would trade 9 and 41 in an instant to grab that player.

I like Savoie's talent and Nazar seems like the USA version of Savoie.  Small fast talented forwards.  I just don't see either as centers in the NHL. 

At this point if Savoie falls to us at 9, I think KA has to take him.  Too talented to pass on.  Otherwise, I am coming around on Gauthier.  The more I read, the more I believe he'd be a good player in our system.  My 3rd choice is taking Kasper.  Some will say this is to high, maybe, but he was one of best players on his SHL team in the playoffs at 18.   He is described as big center with good wheels who is 100% effort, a great work ethic and solid skills.  What's not to like?  

At 16, Kasper would be ideal, but I doubt he slips that far.  If not Jiri Kulich really intrigues me.  He is a reasonably skilled forward, but someone who plays a two way game with gusto.  Reminds me of a smaller ROR.  Miroshniichenko's skill level is elite.  If we are going to roll the dice, why not on him here.  Also I really like Korchinski over the other 2 LHDs, although I suspect, none of the 3 will be there when we draft at 16.  I think there will be a run on them, as teams are desperate for the next Cale Makar.  

What about at 28.  The forwards that stand out at this point are Snuggerud and Gaucher.  Snuggerud is a bigger, better and more skilled version of his Dad.  Like Kasper, he seems to be 100% work ethic and effort.  He's also already 6'2".  Gaucher is fast, big, plays 200 feet and can score.  He is said to be one of the defensive forwards in the Q.  Again, what's not to like.  On defense two RHD stand out to me here.  One is Ryan Chesley.  He seems like a smaller, but better O version of Samuelsson.  He is a strong physical defender, who was a leader of the USNTDP and added O when called upon.  Biggest issue is mediocre skating, which is what they said about Samuelsson as well.   The other D is fast high O skill RHD Tristian Luneau, but he is also solid defensively according to the scouting reports I've read.  

Ultimately if we come away with 3 from Savoie, Gauthier, Kasper, Kulich, Miro, Snuggerud, Gaucher, Chesley or Luneau, I'll be thrilled.  

My biggest fear with Savoie is his concussion history; on Buffalo he’d be in a division with multiple dirty head shooters and play Trouba 3 times a year.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Buffalonill said:

I think Subban good days are behind him and just a warm body now.

The Sabres love to sell false hope aka hall .. so who do you think its going to be this time

Most everyone would agree with you that Subban has declined as a player. That's not a surprise for someone who has played as long as he has. It is inarguable that he is on the downside of his career. But that doesn't mean even as a diminished player that he couldn't contribute as a good third pairing player for us. The one attribute that stands out with him is his skating ability. He has the ability to fit in and provide more experience for this young unit. 

The Hall situation is much different than it would be with a Subban addition to this roster. The Sabres are a fuller roster and they have better coaching that is able to provide a system that accentuates the assets of players and minimizes their liabilities. Assuming that a reasonable contract can be negotiated adding Subban does make sense. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JohnC said:

Most everyone would agree with you that Subban has declined as a player. That's not a surprise for someone who has played as long as he has. It is inarguable that he is on the downside of his career. But that doesn't mean even as a diminished player that he couldn't contribute as a good third pairing player for us. The one attribute that stands out with him is his skating ability. He has the ability to fit in and provide more experience for this young unit. 

The Hall situation is much different than it would be with a Subban addition to this roster. The Sabres are a fuller roster and they have better coaching that is able to provide a system that accentuates the assets of players and minimizes their liabilities. Assuming that a reasonable contract can be negotiated adding Subban does make sense. 

When Subban was moved down the lineup, His Metrics rebounded dramatically, as you mentioned He would be a great fit for the Sabres as a 4/5 D-Man. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

My biggest fear with Savoie is his concussion history; on Buffalo he’d be in a division with multiple dirty head shooters and play Trouba 3 times a year.

Look at Okposo, it can happen to anyone at anytime.  It can be a career killer or just an injury. I don’t think that should be a determining factor unless the doctors say there are residual problems and don’t take him.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

When Subban was moved down the lineup, His Metrics rebounded dramatically, as you mentioned He would be a great fit for the Sabres as a 4/5 D-Man. 

As you suggest, there are opportunities to bring in players on the downside of their careers who can help your team and provide a support system for this young roster. And if done smartly it can be done for reasonable contracts. Assuming Quinn and JJ are added to the roster it will be a very young roster. Just a few selected veteran additions to a roster that is mostly designated can better balance out the roster and make a difference.  

• Like (+1) 4

On 6/23/2022 at 11:37 AM, GASabresIUFAN said:

How about the overpayment of 9 and 28 for 6 and, say, 70?  They may insist on it.

5 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

How about the overpayment of 9 and 28 for 6 and, say, 70?  They may insist on it.

Like anything else, the answer to all questions is "it depends."  It depends on how important KA thinks it is to get the high end RHD.  It depends on how big a difference in ratings KA has between the RHD and the player(s) he likes at 9 and the D on his board at 28 or 41.  It depends on how much of an overpayment Columbus wants and what their draft board and needs are.  Ultimately 9 and 41 for 6 is very close to fair value.  To get 9 & 28, they'd have to offer us 6 and 45.  Anything lower then say 50 it would be time to hang up the phone.  There are two many talented RHD like Chesley and Luneau available at 28 and more like Salomonsson, Rinzel and Havelid who should be available at 41 to keep KA from giving up to much to get Nemec or Jiricek.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 2

PS Columbus might also be a lousy trade partner for us.  They hold the 6th and 12th picks.  Why trade down to 9 when you'll be picking again 3 picks later?  That said, they have a decent prospect pool headed by Kent Johnson and Cole Sillinger.  Their 3rd best prospect is RHD Corson Ceulemans who had a good year as a freshman for Wisconsin.  Maybe a RHD isn't a huge priority?

• Like (+1) 1

Let me preface this with: take the Best Player Available, don't get cute in the draft!

But now let me follow that up with a conjunction but... I'm going to get cute in the draft for a minute:

Because we've got 2 picks close together in 9 and 16 and the draft should be a wild mishmash after the top 5... this may be the time to take the unique player early and then come back for the "any of these guys" just a few picks later.

If there, I might take Kasper at 9 because he's the early guy who plays a hard-nosed game and he could be one of those float-up/down guys that you always want on the ice. I don't believe he makes it to 16. And then at 16 I can take the more offensively-minded center who remains: Savoie, Nazar, Ostlund, Kulich, any of whom could be gone or start going at that point.

(Or at 16 get [f]risky and do a Miroshnichenko, Yurov, or Trikozov.)

28 and 41 fill in the RHD and another fun forward.

• Like (+1) 1

There's a young fella that posts over at the hockeybuzz site. I don't much care for the tone of conversation over there, but occasionally you hear something interesting. In any event, this fella claims to be close to the Pegulas and some have speculated in the past that he is Kevyn Adams' son. I don't know, but his hockey acument is pretty good from my purely amateur perspective.  In any event, he posted I surmise his top ten at the moment which I thought interesting enough to share.

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Shane Wright
3.Matthew Savoie
4.simon nemec
5 .Logan Cooley
6.Jiri Kulich
7.Danila Yurov
8.Jimmy Snuggerud
9.Frank Nazar
10. Gleb Trikozov

Savoie at three, Yurov at seven, and Snuggerud at eight surprise me. I don't know again, if this reflects in any way where the Sabres value on them is, but I like those three. Ohgren is another fella I'm personally getting more interested in at 16 . . . 

Edited by Dr. Who

14 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

There's a young fella that posts over at the hockeybuzz site. I don't much care for the tone of conversation over there, but occasionally you hear something interesting. In any event, this fella claims to be close to the Pegulas and some have speculated in the past that he is Kevyn Adams' son. I don't know, but his hockey acument is pretty good from my purely amateur perspective.  In any event, he posted I surmise his top ten at the moment which I thought interesting enough to share.

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Shane Wright
3.Matthew Savoie
4.simon nemec
5 .Logan Cooley
6.Jiri Kulich
7.Danila Yurov
8.Jimmy Snuggerud
9.Frank Nazar
10. Gleb Trikozov

Savoie at three, Yurov at seven, and Snuggerud at eight surprise me. I don't know again, if this reflects in any way where the Sabres value on them is, but I like those three. Ohgren is another fella I'm personally getting more interested in at 16 . . . 

Jiricek not in the top 10 surprises me even more.

• Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Shane Wright
3.Matthew Savoie
4.simon nemec
5 .Logan Cooley
6.Jiri Kulich
7.Danila Yurov
8.Jimmy Snuggerud
9.Frank Nazar
10. Gleb Trikozov

If that is the Sabres list then we are getting Savoie or Kulich at 9 (don’t see Slav, Wright,  Cooley or Nemec dropping to 9) and likely one of the guys in 6-10 range (Kulich to Trikozov) at 16. 

With the Sabres having the 3 first rounders and with them being so spread out, I’ve really focused on the prospects largely projected to go top 40. Unless we go off the board (possible) we will get 4 guys who have garnered a lot of attention. Maybe it is just because our draft position this year  has caused me to dig deeper, but there are few combinations for our top 4 picks that I think I would be disappointed in. 

Edited by Archie Lee
  • Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

1.Juraj Slafkovsky
2.Shane Wright
3.Matthew Savoie
4.simon nemec
5 .Logan Cooley
6.Jiri Kulich
7.Danila Yurov
8.Jimmy Snuggerud
9.Frank Nazar
10. Gleb Trikozov

It's pretty interesting that the  Common thing with these players is hardworking, work ethic, team player .

You all think this is buffalo's draft bored being leaked? 

Edited by Buffalonill

On 6/26/2022 at 6:10 AM, Archie Lee said:

If that is the Sabres list then we are getting Savoie or Kulich at 9 (don’t see Slav, Wright,  Cooley or Nemec dropping to 9) and likely one of the guys in 6-10 range (Kulich to Trikozov) at 16. 

With the Sabres having the 3 first rounders and with them being so spread out, I’ve really focused on the prospects largely projected to go top 40. Unless we go off the board (possible) we will get 4 guys who have garnered a lot of attention. Maybe it is just because our draft position this year  has caused me to dig deeper, but there are few combinations for our top 4 picks that I think I would be disappointed in. 

Not pretending to be any kind of draft expert and this isn't a ranking of who’s best.

But after informing myself as best as I can, this is my list of the players I’d be most excited for at 9 and 16 - players I like and think would be good fits, in rough order of preference:

• Nemec
  • Jiricek
  • Gauthier
  • Yurov
  • Savoie
  • Kasper
  • Nazar
  • Miroshnechenko
  • Ohgren
  • Kemmel
  • McGroarty
  • Mintyukov
  • Chesley

I would think we would have to trade up for the first 3 and I’m OK with doing that at the right price. I’m assuming Cooley, Slavkovsky and Wright are out of reach.

Mintyukov and Kemmel aren’t about the fit - they are the opposite of filling a need. With them it’s more about there comes a point where the talent is too much to ignore.

Edit: upon further review, Kulich and Snuggerud somewhere in the final 3. There are definitely scenarios in this draft where I’d be happy to. I’ve down.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

On 6/20/2022 at 7:01 AM, LGR4GM said:

Korchinski isn't even the best LHD in this draft, uhg.

Awkward Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can see the Sabres taking Korchinski.

Go back to Adams marching orders to the scouting staff:

• don’t look for where a player has come from, look to where he is going
  • look for self-motivated guys wired for self-improvement
  • We want fearless players who play fast

Read Wheeler’s fresh profile in the Athletic: Korchinski really ticks all those boxes, and possibly better than anyone in the draft who reasonably projects to 9 or 16. He’s had a very Jack Quinn-like trajectory and draft year.

If they really don’t care about position, this pick wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

Edited by dudacek

4 hours ago, Archie Lee said:

I guarantee that is not the Sabres list. Even if he had insight to the Sabres he wouldn’t dare post their list in a chat forum. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

I guarantee that is not the Sabres list. Even if he had insight to the Sabres he wouldn’t dare post their list in a chat forum. 

He's a young fella who has disappeared for a span on that forum before because he "let the cat out of the bag" apparently, but I am supposing this is his personal list, not any kind of official Sabres' draft board.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

Not pretending to be any kind of draft expert and this isn't a ranking of who’s best.

But after informing myself as best as I can, this is my list of the players I’d be most excited for at 9 and 16 - players I like and think would be good fits, in rough order of preference:

• Nemec
  • Jiricek
  • Gauthier
  • Yurov
  • Savoie
  • Kasper
  • Nazar
  • Miroshnechenko
  • Ohgren
  • Kemmel
  • McGroarty
  • Mintyukov
  • Chesley

I would think we would have to trade up for the first 3 and I’m OK with doing that at the right price. I’m assuming Cooley, Slavkovsky and Wright are out of reach.

Mintyukov and Kemmel aren’t about the fit - they are the opposite of filling a need. With them it’s more about there comes a point where the talent is too much to ignore. 

Good work! 

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

You know, the more I think about it, the more I can see the Sabres taking Korchinski.

Go back to Adams marching orders to the scouting staff:

• don’t look for where a player has come from, look to where he is going
  • look for self-motivated guys wired for self-improvement
  • We want fearless players who play fast

Read Wheeler’s fresh profile in the Athletic: Korchinski really ticks all those boxes, and possibly better than anyone in the draft who reasonably projects to 9 or 16. He’s had a very Jack Quinn-like trajectory and draft year.

If they really don’t care about position, this pick wouldn’t surprise me in the slightest.

I would agree with you if the Sabres didn’t have Dahlin and Power. Korchinski seems to be a guy who can be a qb on a PP and a good offensive dman 

But they do have Power and Dahlin, so I’m leaning Bischel.  

I could envision a top 4 of Dahlin / Samuelsson 

and Power (moving to the right) with Bischel 

Now that would be a nightmare for teams to play against 

46 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Who would you rather draft, Liam Bichsel or Pavel Mintyukov? Both are left handed defenders that probably will be there at 16.

I was thinking that Mintyukov would be gone by 16

i can be swayed to take him over Bischel without a doubt. 
i actually think Bischel should go around 22 to 24 

So I’m drafting him a bit early at 16 but he fits the Sabres needs perfectly 

Edited by Crusader1969

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.