Sabres Officially Select #9, #16, and #28

WildCard

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Just curious: if some team before 16 wanted to trade that pick for 16, 28, and 41, how high would it have to be to consider it?  Who would have to be there?  And would you need at least 1 pick after 41 to consider it?

I don't know, but it would have to be a high pick to make up for all the lost chances at something that might be okay or tradeable in another situation.

I would say top 10, but I can't see a top 10 pick being traded for several lower picks.

I would consider something like 7 and 45 for 16, 28 and 41.  Depends who the Sabres see at 16 and 28.  We traded our top players for those and if we turn them into 2 good players at 16 and 28 it may be worth keeping those picks. but if they could be turned into something even better at say 6 or 7 then you have to do it.  Maybe.

How's that for a wishy / washy CPA type answer ??

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Sabres Fan in NS said:

I don't know, but it would have to be a high pick to make up for all the lost chances at something that might be okay or tradeable in another situation.

I would say top 10, but I can't see a top 10 pick being traded for several lower picks.

I would consider something like 7 and 45 for 16, 28 and 41.  Depends who the Sabres see at 16 and 28.  We traded our top players for those and if we turn them into 2 good players at 16 and 28 it may be worth keeping those picks. but if they could be turned into something even better at say 6 or 7 then you have to do it.  Maybe.

How's that for a wishy / washy CPA type answer ??

While not perfect this chart is the best I’ve seen and is pretty accurate still when looking a recent trades. https://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/4/25/4262594/nhl-draft-pick-value-trading-up

So if some team wanted 16, 28 and 41, they’d have to give us at least 52 pts worth of draft assets. 7 and 45 is not quite enough but its close.  Add a mid 3rd rd pick and that should do it if the Sabres are interested, thus 7, 45 and 76 for 16, 28 and 41.

Edited by GASabresIUFAN
  • Thanks (+1) 2

The Athletic asked a handful of prospects to respond to their scouting reports.

here's Nazar's:

Nazar brings a lot of speed and energy to his shifts. He lacks ideal NHL size, but he makes up for it with his effort. He is hard on pucks, shows no fear in how he attacks the interior third of the offensive zone. He can make an occasional flashy deke or pass, but most of his offense comes from the high percentage areas.

OK. Is that your analysis?

It’s not mine, but you can critique it if you want.

I think it was a good analysis, a lot of the things that I kind of said in that meeting. I like the way they said I’m not afraid to go to the net, I’m not afraid to get to the inside, and a lot of my plays are in the high-percentage (areas) because that’s kind of how I like to go. From the creative side, I think that’s kind of underrated on me. They don’t really realize too many creative plays that I can make. And I think whatever team drafts me, the more they get to watch me play and the more I get to play with them, I guess, they’re going to realize that it’s up there.

And then the last line is, Nazar’s great speed helps him get to the net and turn around a lot of defenders. He projects as a third-line center with a chance to be a No. 2.

(Laughs) I don’t know if I’m a big fan of that one. I think it’s a little low-balling it. I feel like for sure I can get at least to a No. 2, and I’m going to push for a No. 1. And kind of like I said, I feel like I can bring a lot of stuff like Brayden Point, and I mean look at him. He’s working out. And teams like to underestimate my size. They say it’s a disadvantage, but it’s really an advantage, because think about it: Those bigger guys aren’t moving as quick as me. I’m going to be harder to hit, because I’m smaller and they’re bigger, so I just end up going around them.

And I’m going to just work harder than them and I think moving forward it’s just going to be kind of like Brayden Point. I’m going to bring what he brings to my team, and I’m going to push for that 2 or No. 1 spot.

• Like (+1) 3

And Lekkerimaki's:

Lekkerimäki is a skilled winger who has various offensive elements in his game, but the clear strength of his game is his shot. He’s a goal-scoring threat from the face-off dots, with a hard, accurate wrist shot and a one-timer that projects to be a weapon in the NHL. He has good speed, hands and vision to generate clean entries and make plays, but those aspects don’t pop like his shot. Like a lot of shooters, he leans too much on his best asset, and plays too much on the perimeter, which isn’t ideal for a player who lacks size. Lekkerimäki projects as a quality top six winger.

What do you think of that?

I agree.

Completely?

Yeah, I think so.

Even the parts that you lean too much on the shot?

Yeah, maybe sometimes.

It also grades your individual tools. So skating, NHL average; puck skills, NHL average; hockey sense, NHL average; shot, high-end; compete, below NHL average. Do you think you have below NHL average compete?

Yeah, I think so. I can improve it more.

• Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

The Athletic asked a handful of prospects to respond to their scouting reports.

here's Nazar's:

Nazar brings a lot of speed and energy to his shifts. He lacks ideal NHL size, but he makes up for it with his effort. He is hard on pucks, shows no fear in how he attacks the interior third of the offensive zone. He can make an occasional flashy deke or pass, but most of his offense comes from the high percentage areas.

OK. Is that your analysis?

It’s not mine, but you can critique it if you want.

I think it was a good analysis, a lot of the things that I kind of said in that meeting. I like the way they said I’m not afraid to go to the net, I’m not afraid to get to the inside, and a lot of my plays are in the high-percentage (areas) because that’s kind of how I like to go. From the creative side, I think that’s kind of underrated on me. They don’t really realize too many creative plays that I can make. And I think whatever team drafts me, the more they get to watch me play and the more I get to play with them, I guess, they’re going to realize that it’s up there.

And then the last line is, Nazar’s great speed helps him get to the net and turn around a lot of defenders. He projects as a third-line center with a chance to be a No. 2.

(Laughs) I don’t know if I’m a big fan of that one. I think it’s a little low-balling it. I feel like for sure I can get at least to a No. 2, and I’m going to push for a No. 1. And kind of like I said, I feel like I can bring a lot of stuff like Brayden Point, and I mean look at him. He’s working out. And teams like to underestimate my size. They say it’s a disadvantage, but it’s really an advantage, because think about it: Those bigger guys aren’t moving as quick as me. I’m going to be harder to hit, because I’m smaller and they’re bigger, so I just end up going around them.

And I’m going to just work harder than them and I think moving forward it’s just going to be kind of like Brayden Point. I’m going to bring what he brings to my team, and I’m going to push for that 2 or No. 1 spot.

8 hours ago, dudacek said:

And Lekkerimaki's:

Lekkerimäki is a skilled winger who has various offensive elements in his game, but the clear strength of his game is his shot. He’s a goal-scoring threat from the face-off dots, with a hard, accurate wrist shot and a one-timer that projects to be a weapon in the NHL. He has good speed, hands and vision to generate clean entries and make plays, but those aspects don’t pop like his shot. Like a lot of shooters, he leans too much on his best asset, and plays too much on the perimeter, which isn’t ideal for a player who lacks size. Lekkerimäki projects as a quality top six winger.

What do you think of that?

I agree.

Completely?

Yeah, I think so.

Even the parts that you lean too much on the shot?

Yeah, maybe sometimes.

It also grades your individual tools. So skating, NHL average; puck skills, NHL average; hockey sense, NHL average; shot, high-end; compete, below NHL average. Do you think you have below NHL average compete?

Yeah, I think so. I can improve it more.

I don’t know if a language barrier prevented some elaboration but Lekkerimaki didn’t give great answers there.

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t know if a language barrier prevented some elaboration but Lekkerimaki didn’t give great answers there.

Yeah, or he isn’t into bulls**t.

As long as he works on his weaknesses, you know he has the right mindset. If all he cares about is scoring goals then you have a lesser Laine on your hands.

I’m going to share a thought that probably won’t be popular.

If Pavel Mintyukov is available at 16, I could see the Sabres taking him.  I have a few reasons for this.

(1) he is a Russian already playing in  NA.  For a team that hasn’t had Russians in around in a long time, he could be a good guy to get in and he could help any Russians coming in the future to adapt.

(2) in my opinion, he had the most impressive season of any defenseman draft prospect in NA.  He led his team in points and scored 17 goals himself.

(3) people question his defense, but he was on a bad team that really depended on him to create offense, and was often playing playing from behind.  I think he was playing the way he was asked to.  I’ve heard that his defensive play was pretty good prior to this season.

I know the Sabres have a lot of high end LHD already, but he is the 3rd best D in the draft for me.  If the Sabres have him evaluated as the 6th, 7th, 8th best draft prospect and he is still there at 16, maybe they just grab him.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Curt said:

If Pavel Mintyukov is available at 16, I could see the Sabres taking him.  I have a few reasons for this.

(1) he is a Russian already playing in  NA.  For a team that hasn’t had Russians in around in a long time, he could be a good guy to get in and he could help any Russians coming in the future to adapt.

(2) in my opinion, he had the most impressive season of any defenseman draft prospect in NA.  He led his team in points and scored 17 goals himself.

(3) people question his defense, but he was on a bad team that really depended on him to create offense, and was often playing playing from behind.  I think he was playing the way he was asked to.  I’ve heard that his defensive play was pretty good prior to this season.

I know the Sabres have a lot of high end LHD already, but he is the 3rd best D in the draft for me.  If the Sabres have him evaluated as the 6th, 7th, 8th best draft prospect and he is still there at 16, maybe they just grab him.

Speaking of Russians, their teams from the 70’s and 80’s were almost all left handled. Kamensky is the only right handed guy that jumps out at me from those teams.

I wonder if it was like the origins of golf, where you had to play right handed. Maybe they only had left handed sticks in Russia.

21 minutes ago, Curt said:

I'd add Zhilkin to the Russian in NA list too. 

I love Mintyukov and would 100% take him at 16. I don't think he'll be there but he's in my top 10.

Edited by LGR4GM

31 minutes ago, Curt said:

You forgot a big one too: he played with Josh Bloom so the Sabres has a lot of eyes on him this year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

i loved both sets of answers because they leave so much open to interpretation.

He comes across as somebody who legit doesn't give a *****. Bad because it shows lack of respect for others? Good because he's not going to let outside noise affect him?

Nazar was the opposite; he clearly got a little pissed about what was being said about him. Bad because hes self-centred and can't handle criticism? Good because he's got confidence and competitive fire?

You almost have to see how these guys delivered the quotes, rather than just reading them.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Curt said:

Courtesy of Mitchell Brown and EP Rinkside (Elite Prospects)

Mintyukov_2022.thumb.png.4fa56c03481a2936bdbafc1d190ce573.png

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Courtesy of Mitchell Brown and EP Rinkside (Elite Prospects)

Mintyukov_2022.thumb.png.4fa56c03481a2936bdbafc1d190ce573.png

Lol, 100th percentile, is that good?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think Mintyukov played the right side in the OHL at 5v5 this year. 

edit: looks like he did play some right side def depending on the situation and personnel out. 

Just from watching scouting highlight videos, he was playing RD at times.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Free report on a player Buffalo could get at 16 or maybe 28.

A right-handed D who can defend is what our pipeline needs more than anything else.

I’d be OK with him at 16 and ecstatic if he was ours at 28.

• Like (+1) 1

A guy on another site reported the Sabres Interviewed the following players: Snuggerud, Del bel belluz, Rinzel, Savoie, Warren, Kasper, Cruz, Nemec, Nazar, Ostlund, Beck, Lambert, Mateychuk, Nyman, Ronni, Mcgroarty, Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Suzdalev, Devine, MacDonald, Cooley, Lorenz, Buchinger, Firkus, Gauthier, Geekie

1 hour ago, Flashsabre said:

A guy on another site reported the Sabres Interviewed the following players: Snuggerud, Del bel belluz, Rinzel, Savoie, Warren, Kasper, Cruz, Nemec, Nazar, Ostlund, Beck, Lambert, Mateychuk, Nyman, Ronni, Mcgroarty, Lekkerimaki, Ohgren, Suzdalev, Devine, MacDonald, Cooley, Lorenz, Buchinger, Firkus, Gauthier, Geekie

I’m assuming that this is interviews at the draft combine?  The following is what I’ve seen reported by media or by Sabrespacers who were there.  Interesting that mr. whoever on another site says they did interview Mateychuk and I specifically heard that they did not.

Sabres Interviewed:

Matthew Savoie

Frank Nazar

Cutter Gauthier

Rutger McGroarty

Marco Kasper

Pavel Mintyukov

Conor Geekie

Ryan Lambert

Filip Mesar 

Jiri Kulich

Lian Bichsel

Owen Pickering

Jimmy Snuggerud

Noah Warren

Jack Devine

Sabres Did Not Interview:

Joakim Kemell

Denton Mateychuk

Seamus Casey

Maverick Lamoureux

Jack Hughes

5 minutes ago, Curt said:

I’m assuming that this is interviews at the draft combine?  The following is what I’ve seen reported by media or by Sabrespacers who were there.  Interesting that mr. whoever on another site says they did interview Mateychuk and I specifically heard that they did not.

Sabres Interviewed:

Matthew Savoie

Frank Nazar

Cutter Gauthier

Rutger McGroarty

Marco Kasper

Pavel Mintyukov

Conor Geekie

Ryan Lambert

Filip Mesar 

Jiri Kulich

Lian Bichsel

Owen Pickering

Jimmy Snuggerud

Noah Warren

Jack Devine

Joakim Kemell

Denton Mateychuk

Seamus Casey

Maverick Lamoureux

Jack Hughes

It was a poster on a message board so it is by no means gospel. I just thought it was interesting to post.

If true, interesting that they interviewed Cooley and Nemec that should be long gone but not Jiricek or Kemell.  Also haven’t seen Chelsey’s name mentioned as being interviewed.

2 hours ago, Curt said:

Sabres Interviewed:

Matthew Savoie

Frank Nazar

Cutter Gauthier

Rutger McGroarty

Marco Kasper

Pavel Mintyukov

Conor Geekie

Ryan Lambert

Filip Mesar 

Jiri Kulich

Lian Bichsel

Owen Pickering

Jimmy Snuggerud

Noah Warren

Jack Devine

Joakim Kemell

Denton Mateychuk

Seamus Casey

Maverick Lamoureux

Jack Hughes

They did interview Him per a good source 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 3

On 6/8/2022 at 9:28 AM, Curt said:

I like  Bichsel a little more than Mintyukov, but would have no issue with either at 16

5 hours ago, Flashsabre said:

It was a poster on a message board so it is by no means gospel. I just thought it was interesting to post.

If true, interesting that they interviewed Cooley and Nemec that should be long gone but not Jiricek or Kemell.  Also haven’t seen Chelsey’s name mentioned as being interviewed.

Jiricek didn't attend the combine.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Scott Wheeler's new mock, based on what his hearing in the scouting community and what he knows about team tendencies.

9. Buffalo Sabres: Jonathan Lekkerimaki, RW, Djurgårdens IF
My rank: No. 9

Of the trio of 5-foot-9/10 forwards projected to go in the No. 5-10 range, Lekkerimaki feels like the most likely to be selected third even after his star grew following his brilliant U18 worlds performance. The Sabres should take whichever remains at No. 9 and while I suspect they’re more likely to take the potential centre in Savoie* if he’s here (they’ve got plenty of talented wingers in their pool), I think they’re more likely to pounce on Lekkerimaki as the best player available (BPA) play, hoping that they can get one of the next-best centres (like a Frank Nazar or a Conor Geekie) with their next selection at No. 16.  (*He had Savoie going a pick earlier to Detroit)

16. Buffalo Sabres (from Vegas): Frank Nazar, C, U.S. NTDP
My rank: No. 11

If the Sabres take a winger at No. 9, look to them to take a centre here. I’ve gone with Nazar, who is not as beloved in the private sphere as he is publicly, but offers speed and playmaking that the Sabres can afford to wait for if he takes two or three years in college. This is also the range where centres Jiri Kulich and Noah Ostlund will start to creep toward the top of boards so they’d make sense here. I wouldn’t be surprised if the Sabres, with their strong pool and multiple high picks, took a swing on Lambert or Yurov here either (though Yurov is strictly a winger so the likelihood that they take him drops if they take a winger with the first pick).

28. Buffalo Sabres (from Florida): Jagger Firkus, RW, Moose Jaw Warriors
My rank: No. 34

I didn’t think when I began this exercise, that I’d have the Sabres taking three forwards. I think it’s more likely they take two forwards and one defenceman. But with the way things played out here and the number of teams that I suspect will be eager to take defencemen, I actually really like the way things broke for the Sabres in this exercise. Lekkerimaki, Nazar and Firkus would be a substantial injection of skill into the organization; drafting all three would make for a potentially huge day for the organization’s future. Teams will tell you they try not to be influenced in their decision-making by the number of picks that they have, but the truth is that the first two do allow the Sabres to really go after a high-upside kid here and there may not be a bigger one left than the diminutive but uber-talented Firkus.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.