Jack Quinn Named AHL Rookie of the Year

Brawndo

Before Jack Quinn got hurt and was brought up to Buffalo Don G was talking about him on WGR. He said at that time that this player has outgrown the AHL and was ready to be a NHL player. He then got hurt and was sent back down to Rochester after rehabbing. When all is said and done staying in Rochester for the remainder of the season probably benefited him more than if he stayed with the big club. Even if it didn't it could at least be said that the extended stay in Rochester didn't hurt him. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Before Jack Quinn got hurt and was brought up to Buffalo Don G was talking about him on WGR. He said at that time that this player has outgrown the AHL and was ready to be a NHL player. He then got hurt and was sent back down to Rochester after rehabbing. When all is said and done staying in Rochester for the remainder of the season probably benefited him more than if he stayed with the big club. Even if it didn't it could at least be said that the extended stay in Rochester didn't hurt him. 

For the first time in a decade I believe this team has player-appropriate development at the forefront of the plan and not just a 'sacrifice everything to try and win' mentality. Quinn spending the season in Rochester after injury embodies that to me. I'm a firm believer Mitts was rushed into the NHL way too early and if he'd been allowed a full season in the AHL his track would be entirely different. Glad to see the team is focusing on development for a change.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

It appears our scouting department has the ability to find some gems. Gives me really positive vibes going into this years draft, especially with the number of picks the Sabres have.

It shouldn’t be too hard to find good players in the draft lottery but then again we had Alex Nylander.  

24 minutes ago, inkman said:

It shouldn’t be too hard to find good players in the draft lottery but then again we had Alex Nylander.  

You watch a lot of Rochester games. Is Peterka ready for the NHL? Can he handle his defensive responsibilities in the higher league? 

• Thanks (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, inkman said:

The Sabres have been horrible for so long at drafting there was no trust in them getting anything right. Botterill should be credited with the start of that turn around. Adams has continued it.  If he finds 3 quality NHL players within this years draft he will have nailed it.

23 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

The Sabres have been horrible for so long at drafting there was no trust in them getting anything right. Botterill should be credited with the start of that turn around. Adams has continued it.  If he finds 3 quality NHL players within this years draft he will have nailed it.

What excites me is what we saw down the stretch has been done almost entirely without any help from Adams drafting.

We are about to open chapter 2 of a 3-year period of 6 1sts and 6 2nds. Odds are decent that over this period we will be adding a half-dozen more good pieces to a pipeline that began with Quinn and Peterka 2 years ago. More importantly, these guys will be asked to help the franchise, not save it.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, dudacek said:

What excites me is what we saw down the stretch has been done almost entirely without any help from Adams drafting.

We are about to open chapter 2 of a 3-year period of 6 1sts and 6 2nds. Odds are decent that over this period we will be adding a half-dozen more good pieces to a pipeline that began with Quinn and Peterka 2 years ago. More importantly, these guys will be asked to help the franchise, not save it.

Highlighting the point that you are making, there should be internal improvement from most of the young players currently on this roster. I expect Mitts and Cozens to make significant strides into becoming the players that we expected. If Krebs successfully uses the offseason to get stronger, he should be better. 

Although Cozens didn't score in the Chicago game I thought he played really well. He was driving his line. The goal that Mitts scored in OT to win would not have happened a couple years back because he wasn't strong enough. When he scored he was anchored at the doorstep of the goalie and held his position for a rebound score with two defenders draped all over him.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Jack Quinn finished his AHL season with:

26g

35a

61pts

45games

I think that's good for 4th all time in ppg for a 20yr old behind Daniel Briere and 2 guys from the 80s.

Quinn looked more like Quinn last night than he has lately. Just the way he constantly demands the puck.

Sucks they couldn’t do it on their own, but I hope he gets a shot at the post-season.

Really enjoyed watching Krebs Jack JJ and Mule back in December as Amerks. Would like to see it again with more on the line.

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Quinn looked more like Quinn last night than he has lately. Just the way he constantly demands the puck.

Sucks they couldn’t do it on their own, but I hope he gets a shot at the post-season.

Really enjoyed watching Krebs Jack JJ and Mule back in December as Amerks. Would like to see it again with more on the line.

I want to see Quinn with Cozens and maybe Mitts. 

Quinn - Mitts - Cozens

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.