Erik Portillo returning to Michigan Per Friedman

Brawndo

6 minutes ago, kas23 said:

You could. Doesn’t mean you had to. We could left all goalies exposed. 

Yes, could have left all goalies exposed, maybe, I guess.  But that doesn’t give you a slot to protect an extra D.  You still only get to protect 3 D.

On 4/9/2022 at 8:28 PM, Brawndo said:

It’s quite simple actually, GMs figure out where the player would be interested in signing through conversations with the Players Advisor and see if a deal can be worked out with that team. 

Adam Fox was traded to the Rangers for 2nd, this past TDL Minnesota traded Jack McBain, who was eligible to be an UFA on August 15th, 2022, to Arizona for a 2nd, McBain signed His ELC with Arizona.  There very often is mutual desire of the player and team to burn a year off their ELC and get some NHL Games.

Lance Lysowski mentioned on the Maintenance Day Podcast, that quite a few teams around the league are interested in Portillo. If or when, GMKA gets confirmation that Portillo doesn’t want to sign in Buffalo, He can put His Rights on the Trade Market. 

Plus there is the possibility Adams might trade for a bonafide Top Goaltender, Gibson and Hellebuyck’s Names have been mentioned as possibly being available, including a Top Goalie Prospect in the return might push the Sabres Bid over the Top 

Sure you could get him for a 2nd....I guess.

But you aren't enticing anyone without a significant other piece coming with him.  

That's all I'm saying.  

The winner in a deal involving Portillo and a pick is the team getting him.  

Sure the pick could pan out.

There is no way to spin this.  An draft pick we watched going on 4 years now in all likelihood leaving.  

Edited by Second Line Center

Maybe been mentioned in this thread, but who here remembers T. Pegula emphasizing early on the importance of drafting a goalie EVERY year because of how important the position is? He had read a particular book about it, I believe. So it seems like they've actually done that, recently, but now are being curved by those high-end prospects? 

What's the solution? 

On 4/9/2022 at 4:48 PM, inkman said:

Kevyn Adams, please stop drafting college goalies.  

Since goalies take longer, it is a big risk.  Also the Canadian kids end up coming over the border to play high level college hockey. They have figured out a way to never really be drafted. Play 3 years of college and then be a free agent. Should have learned our lesson with Cal Petersen.

• Thanks (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Curt said:

Yes, could have left all goalies exposed, maybe, I guess.  But that doesn’t give you a slot to protect an extra D.  You still only get to protect 3 D.

We could’ve protected Toker instead. While this doesn’t protect Borgen, it puts Ulmark out there to entice/distract the Kraken. 

11 hours ago, MBD said:

Why?  Levi still has 2 more years.

Because I think he's the real deal and am not so sure on Portillo - granted that's tough to know.  Just my opinion on both.  I don't want to lose Portillo much rather he be here.  But I wouldn't feel crushed if he left 

If Levi does, I absolutely will be.  

What a waste of a 3rd rd pick.  The chances those hit are relatively small, and it looked like we hit on this one.

We’ll be lucky to get any value out of this at all.  

Imma be petty here.  If he goes UFA I hope his NHL career crashes and burns.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Second Line Center said:

Because I think he's the real deal and am not so sure on Portillo - granted that's tough to know.  Just my opinion on both.  I don't want to lose Portillo much rather he be here.  But I wouldn't feel crushed if he left 

If Levi does, I absolutely will be.  

Yeah it sucks that he chose to go back to school, but I think he'll sign next off-season, unlike Portillo who will be gone.  And again, if he looks good again next year, I'd hope the Sabres start him sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Elliotte on ATW pod said Sabres were "frustrated" with Portillo negotiation to get him to sign. He's a free agent as of August of '23. 

Shocker!  Like I said, the whole "I want to finish school" thing is a ruse.

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Elliotte on ATW pod said Sabres were "frustrated" with Portillo negotiation to get him to sign. He's a free agent as of August of '23. 

Lol, I don't believe half the crap Elliott reports because you never know who's paying him to report it. 

28 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Trade his rights while his performance is still fresh in people's minds.  He's already gone as a Sabre either way.

Lol

27 minutes ago, Carmel Corn said:

Trade his rights while his performance is still fresh in people's minds.  He's already gone as a Sabre either way.

Just now, MBD said:

Yeah it sucks that he chose to go back to school, but I think he'll sign next off-season, unlike Portillo who will be gone.  And again, if he looks good again next year, I'd hope the Sabres start him sooner rather than later.

Shocker!  Like I said, the whole "I want to finish school" thing is a ruse.

Do you guys have inside information that nobody else has?

1 hour ago, Weave said:

What a waste of a 3rd rd pick.  The chances those hit are relatively small, and it looked like we hit on this one.

We’ll be lucky to get any value out of this at all.  

Dude.

57 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Lol

So you think the view that Portillo is most likely gone is laughable?  Is it more or less laughable than Roy for Malkin or Eichel is better than McDavid or BB was an idiot for taking Josh Allen or Rossi is better than Quinn?

Can you articulate specifically why you disagree that Portillo is most likely gone?  It will be the Sabres vs the field.  Why do you think the Sabres will get him?

3 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

1 hour ago, Weave said:

I have no problem with this take.

If he's going to use that degree as his excuse, well, then, he can fall back on that. Good for him.

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Dude.

So you think the view that Portillo is most likely gone is laughable?  Is it more or less laughable than Roy for Malkin or Eichel is better than McDavid or BB was an idiot for taking Josh Allen or Rossi is better than Quinn?

Can you articulate specifically why you disagree that Portillo is most likely gone?  It will be the Sabres vs the field.  Why do you think the Sabres will get him?

It would be like saying Trump won't be that bad.

I disagree because I think he went back for his degree, Buffalo can still burn an elc year, he knows he can playing time here, by next April this team will have a much different playoff contention feel. 

24 minutes ago, SwampD said:

I have no problem with this take.

If he's going to use that degree as his excuse, well, then, he can fall back on that. Good for him.

Leaving aside the vituperative and vindictive nature of wishing failure on a young person, has he said this?

Just now, nfreeman said:

Leaving aside the vituperative and vindictive nature of wishing failure on a young person, has he said this?

No, Portillo has not said that and all indicators point to him taking his degree seriously. 

What if letting Portillo go back and being supportive is why he signs next April, wouldn't that be a twist.

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

No, Portillo has not said that and all indicators point to him taking his degree seriously. 

What if letting Portillo go back and being supportive is why he signs next April, wouldn't that be a twist.

Well, if it really is the degree, leaving school in early April isn’t going to help secure it.

It would indeed be great if KA were able to finesse this.  It just seems pretty unlikely.

How often has a drafted, very good NCAA player who stayed in college long enough to become a UFA signed with the team that drafted him instead of waiting a couple of months to become a UFA?  I’m sure it’s happened, but it’s probably pretty uncommon.  

5 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Wow. Had to look that one up.

That's the beauty of sports. I can wish anything on anyone, any age,… for no reason, cuz it doesn't really mean anything. I'll wish him a long and very successful business career.

Yeah. What LGR said. It's in one of the articles someone posted upthread. He really loves the college scene and all of his business professors. He wants to get his degree. I think he should get it. I already said I think he will get his degree then sign with the Sabres.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.