Devon Levi watch, update: he's returning to college

LGR4GM

5 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's 4th year post draft 

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights."

So then it's correct that Portillo will become a UFA after one more year at Michigan. 

• Like (+1) 2

Let’s look at the human side for a moment.

Levi goes to NE last season but is injured and can’t play at all.

Comes in this year and sets the world on fire. He is asked to go to the Olympics, sacrificing playing in the Bean Pot tournament in the process.

Goes to China and doesn’t get a second of ice time. 

Makes it to the Frozen Four tournament only to see his misplay end his team’s season.

Has one of the best statistical season yet gets snubbed for many awards.

I can see where Levi might be going through some emotions about the year and his next move.

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Hank said:

So then it's correct that Portillo will become a UFA after one more year at Michigan. 

Then he can sign 45 days after free agency starts if Buffalo doesn't sign him first. IIRC it's mid August before he can sign with another team.

42 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

It's 4th year post draft 

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, and does not remain a bona fide college student through the graduation of his college class, his drafting Club shall retain exclusive rights for the negotiation of his services until the later of: (a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft, or (b) thirty (30) days after NHL Central Registry receives notice that the Player is no longer a bona fide college student; provided that if the Player ceases to be a bona fide college student on or after January 1 of an academic year and the Player: (1) is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15 following the date on which he ceases to be a bona fide college student. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to such Player to retain such rights."

Not sure how to parse the latter part of that. If I player leaves college early (like let's say Portillo quits school next week), but doesn't sign with the drafting team, are they UFA on August 15th? Or it sounds like A still applies, but then I don't know when all the B stuff would apply since A would always be later.

25 minutes ago, MattPie said:

Not sure how to parse the latter part of that. If I player leaves college early (like let's say Portillo quits school next week), but doesn't sign with the drafting team, are they UFA on August 15th? Or it sounds like A still applies, but then I don't know when all the B stuff would apply since A would always be later.

only if it is 4 years after the draft

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

That news about Portillo being UFA if he returns to Michigan for 1 more year is concerning.

KA needs to close this deal.

The new regime just traded their second best player for a competing goalie who should be the Honey Baker winner. If I'm Portillo I don't see a lot of incentive to come play for Buffalo, outside of maybe Power.

1 minute ago, WildCard said:

The new regime just traded their second best player for a competing goalie who should be the Honey Baker winner. If I'm Portillo I don't see a lot of incentive to come play for Buffalo, outside of maybe Power.

This is fair, but it's also fair IMHO to say that the Sabres #1 job is wide open, and that no NHL team is going to hand Portillo the #1 job -- he's going to have to beat out a credible competitor wherever he goes.

And of course the financial considerations are heavily in favor of turning pro now.

• Like (+1) 5

21 minutes ago, WildCard said:

image.thumb.jpeg.ff27e8e87625547a9c81940c057cc925.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Carmel Corn said:

Is this right (re:  Portillo)?  I thought he was only a sophomore, but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

I think you're right, unless playing in the USHL somehow gives him a "college" year.  He didn't get to UM until 2020.

image.thumb.png.901b47837016bd896937d0b58c35d686.png

4 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think you're right, unless playing in the USHL somehow gives him a "college" year.  He didn't get to UM until 2020.

image.thumb.png.901b47837016bd896937d0b58c35d686.png

It don't matter if he played three years in the in the ushl and would be a freshman next year or if he went straight to Michigan and was entering his senior season. Four years post Draft he's a UFA if he's not signed, where he played post draft is irrelevant. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

It's 4th year post draft 

4yrs post draft

1 minute ago, Hank said:

It don't matter if he played three years in the in the ushl and would be a freshman next year or if he went straight to Michigan and was entering his senior season. Four years post Draft he's a UFA if he's not signed, where he played post draft is irrelevant. 

That's not at all how it's written.

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft,

is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15

Nowhere does it say 4 years post draft is he eligible for UFA.

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

4yrs post draft

If he's a college student.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft,

is in his fourth year of college and has commenced his fourth year of NCAA eligibility, or (2) is in his fourth year of college and is scheduled to graduate from college at the end of his fourth year, then in the circumstances described in (1) or (2), the Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation for such Player's services through and including the August 15

I don't understand why you are ignoring the first part of the clause that says "(a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,"

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

So it's your belief that if Portillo played three years of ushl before enrolling in Michigan that Buffalo would have seven years to decide if they want to sign him?

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I don't understand why you are ignoring the first part of the clause that says "(a) the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,"

It also says he must be a student at the time of drafting, both must apply.

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft

2 minutes ago, Hank said:

So it's your belief that if Portillo played three years of ushl before enrolling in Michigan that Buffalo would have seven years to decide if they want to sign him?

That to me starts year 1. 

1 minute ago, woods-racer said:

"If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft

Yea... you are in college when drafted or go to college the following year, they team gets you for 4 years. I really don't get how you keep ignoring the first part of the clause. 

"the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,"

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Yea... you are in college when drafted or go to college the following year, they team gets you for 4 years. I really don't get how you keep ignoring the first part of the clause. 

"the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft,"

He was in the USHL was he going to class his first year?

4 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Year one meaning when he enrolls in college or year one meaning post draft? I'm not sure what you're saying. 

7 minutes ago, Hank said:

Year one meaning when he enrolls in college or year one meaning post draft? I'm not sure what you're saying. 

Where was he year one?

In the USHL and  in college, or was he at home in the USHL?

edit for a little clarification.

You just need to be enrolled but not go to college for the clock to start ticking?

Edited by woods-racer

5 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

He was in the USHL was he going to class his first year?

It doesn't matter, that's the entire point of ""If a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is a bona fide college student at the time of his selection in the Entry Draft, or becomes a bona fide college student prior to the first June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft... the fourth June 1 following his selection in the Entry Draft," 

He became a college player as of June 1 in the year following his selection. He will complete 4 years post draft next year. Both things at play, he's can leave college and become a UFA if he wants. 

2 minutes ago, woods-racer said:

Where was he year one?

In the USHL and not in college or was in at home in the USHL?

It does not matter where he was year one as long as he started college by year 2, that's the point.