How should Adams handle the goaltending this offseason?

LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, kas23 said:

The issue with this is that Anderson would make 5-10x the salary as player than an entry-level goalie coach. This brings up a waivers issue. We won’t be able to send him up and down. 

They would as an emergency recall. Those players don't have to clear waivers.  

38 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Team is not winning the Cup next year. Have UPL be your #1 guy.  In limited time in Buffalo he has looked pretty good in front of a suspect D-unit.  Want to bring back Anderson or another Mid priced vet to back him up fine.

It is more than about whether or not you are winning the cup next year.  This team has looked fantastic, and downright dreadful, based on confidence in their goalie.  The players here need to have a goalie they can count on behind them or they wilt knowing the smallest mistake will be in the net.  You can’t just throw UPL in there with a middle of the road backup and expect the team to develop a winning mindset.  There needs to be a winning mindset goalie between the pipes every night too.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

Point of reference:  This season

image.thumb.png.7b5af6913d74e93180146cba25732411.png

I think a couple things to consider:  For 52 games the Sabres have had goalies that are .904+  What do we need to be competitive?  .910?  .915?  I think a decent SV% is probably somewhere in that range.  Of the goalies used this year, Anderson seems to be the "goald standard" (see what I did there?); he's the one that everyone seems to think is our best goalie (when healthy).  Three goalies are actually better than him, in terms of SV%:  Toker, UPL and Houser. 

For the life of me, considering the problems the Sabres have had at goalie, I don't know why Houser didn't get a better look.  He was okay last year and absolutely studly this year, albeit both were a very small sample size.  But okay, let's throw him out because everyone seems to think what he's shown at the NHL level is an aberration.

Especially if the Sabres continue to win down the stretch, it may turn out that the problem wasn't with the goalies, it was with team defense.  Maybe the goalie corps we have is good enough for a bubble team.  Sure everyone wants better, but depending on how far off Levi and Portillo really are, you're probably most interested in a goalie with one, maybe two years of term.  Who can the Sabres trade for or sign with that term who is an improvement over Anderson/UPL?

I expect Kevyn to look around some, but I wouldn't be surprised if he holds steady with some combination of Anderson, Toker and UPL.  And I'm not sure that would be a problem.

Stats don’t tell you everything.  Anderson has a winning record because he was huge in the games he won.  It would be good to know his save percentage in his wins.  Toker has a slightly better save percentage but he has a losing 6-13* record (*deluca number).   Players have confidence in Anderson, they  can take a few chances with him in net. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, mjd1001 said:

Team is not winning the Cup next year. Have UPL be your #1 guy.  In limited time in Buffalo he has looked pretty good in front of a suspect D-unit.  Want to bring back Anderson or another Mid priced vet to back him up fine.

This kind of thought has to end.   They should be trying for playoffs next year.  Once you make it you are playing for the Cup.  Last year Montreal made the finals and they had a fragile and border line roster. 

In addition, this team has been giving away jobs for too long.  Pedigree and draft status should not earn you ice all by itself.   Players need to come in and earn ice and beat out the guys that are there.  Especially the goalies.  We have been tossing warm bodies into the net for too long.  Sabres need to bring in a solid NHL goalie and make UPL take the  job.  That is the right way to build.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

This kind of thought has to end.   They should be trying for playoffs next year.  Once you make it you are playing for the Cup.  Last year Montreal made the finals and they had a fragile and boarder line roster. 

That kind of thought is realism. If they were cup contenders, I would have a different viewpoint.  But odds are they will not be cup contenders. Do I like that? No, I wish they were, but it doesn't change the likely facts.  That is not being negative. that is not 'thought that needs to end'.  That is looking at the situation, evaluating it, and giving an opinion based on where the team ACTUALLY is in its development, not where we want them to be.

I root for the Sabres, I think they are getting better, but hey, thank you for telling me what kinds of thoughts I should be thinking in my own head. I'm fine without that advice though....

17 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Theoretically I think so

Then I think you have to try and sign both of them, give Levi the chance to start in Roch and let Portillo play a seaon or two of pro in Sweden.

Give UPL his opportunity in Buffalo, but sign a quality vet to challenge him and back him up.

• Like (+1) 2

It’s sink or swim time for UPL. I want him sharing a role with a proven vet on the Sabres. Give him the chance before we give it to someone else. Levi should be in Rochester the whole season and should only be an emergency call up to the Sabres. Emergency as in we have nobody but Vinz. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

That kind of thought is realism. If they were cup contenders, I would have a different viewpoint.  But odds are they will not be cup contenders. Do I like that? No, I wish they were, but it doesn't change the likely facts.  That is not being negative. that is not 'thought that needs to end'.  That is looking at the situation, evaluating it, and giving an opinion based on where the team ACTUALLY is in its development, not where we want them to be.

I root for the Sabres, I think they are getting better, but hey, thank you for telling me what kinds of thoughts I should be thinking in my own head. I'm fine without that advice though....

I meant by the FO not you.  

I think they can make the playoffs next year with a few great off season moves, solid contributions from the expected rookies, continued growth from the core, and some good luck.  Not sure it’s realistic, it probably isn't, but if the front office doesn’t make it a goal and go for it I am going to be very disappointed.   The idea of always waiting 2 -3 years down the road never gets us there.   Not saying overspend and kill the cap either but I want to see some real progress in the standings versus moral victories.  

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll see the “don’t hand the starting job to UPL” ante and raise:  there is a reasonable possibility that one of Levi or Portillo (or both for that matter) outplays UPL next fall in camp.

KA should bring in a no-BS starting quality NHL goalie next year and let the 3 kids fight it out for the other slot with the Sabres.  If there is a taxi squad and Anderson wants to return, he should be the 3rd goalie in Buffalo.  

• Like (+1) 4

19 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

I meant by the FO not you.  

I think they can make the playoffs next year with a few great off season moves, solid contributions from the expected rookies, continued growth from the core, and some good luck.  Not sure it’s realistic, it probably isn't, but if the front office doesn’t make it a goal and go for it I am going to be very disappointed.   The idea of always waiting 2 -3 years down the road never gets us there.   Not saying overspend and kill the cap either but I want to see some real progress in the standings versus moral victories.  

(Apologies to John Barry, Leslie Bricusse, Anthony Newley, and Shirley Bassey.)

Goaltenders.
They're the men -- the men with the Midas Gloves.
While catching pucks.

Feel free to delete this post.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

It’s simple. Sign Levi, Portillo, and Anderson. Levi will play pro, guaranteed.  Anderson will hold the fort through the first rough patches. Portillo and UPL will split Rochester. We will trade UPL or Portillo next trade deadline for something to help the playoff run. Playoffs!

Edited by triumph_communes
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Goaltenders.
While catching pucks.

no way Marvin, can’t delete this. 

Edited by Pimlach
  • Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

Goaltenders.
While catching pucks.

Even a hard wrister 

Goes off the post and as it’s swallowed in

It won’t go in!

• Haha (+1) 1

• LGR4GM locked this topic