2022 World Junior Championships rescheduled for August

Brawndo

16 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

It will be interesting to see who, of note, ages out before then -- or is everyone who dressed in the aborted tourney automatically re-invited?

Radio is saying it will be exactly the same player pool — if you were eligible in December, you are eligible in August

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

46 minutes ago, Derrico said:

I would think it would be a perfect warm up prior to training camp.  Surprising if he doesn't play.

26 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

I wouldn't have him play. He should already be in Buffalo working with whoever else is in town. 

Injury risk and He really has nothing left to prove at that level. 

I would release Him for the World Championships in May though 

• Like (+1) 1

I don't like this plan at all.  What do they have to gain from it (as I write this question I realize this is about money most likely rather than showcasing each countries talent).

So they'll play a WJC tournament in August and then again at the traditional time in December?  I'm a big believer in the WJC when it goes forward in December / January.  I would have liked it if they could have found a way to play it before the NHL draft for the eligible top prospects.  Doesn't seem right to me.

• Like (+1) 1

On 2/17/2022 at 7:09 PM, Digger said:

I don't like this plan at all.  What do they have to gain from it (as I write this question I realize this is about money most likely rather than showcasing each countries talent).

So they'll play a WJC tournament in August and then again at the traditional time in December?  I'm a big believer in the WJC when it goes forward in December / January.  I would have liked it if they could have found a way to play it before the NHL draft for the eligible top prospects.  Doesn't seem right to me.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. In my mind, this is the best, most exciting hockey tournament each year. For the players, it's the equivalent of the Olympics. This is likely as much for the experience as anything else.

On 2/17/2022 at 12:14 PM, Brawndo said:

Injury risk and He really has nothing left to prove at that level. 

I would release Him for the World Championships in May though 

Busch Beer GIF by Busch

53 minutes ago, Flashsabre said:

He is 19, let him play.

Michigan wouldn’t let him play last year. His Frozen Four was taken by Covid, his WJC this year was ended after a few games by Covid. If he wants to go let him go.

11 hours ago, klos1963 said:

I wouldn't be so sure about that. In my mind, this is the best, most exciting hockey tournament each year. For the players, it's the equivalent of the Olympics. This is likely as much for the experience as anything else.

Agreed that the WJC is a great tournament.  I look forward to it every year.  This year's did not happen because of Covid concerns.  Why play it in August and then again in December at the traditional time?

46 minutes ago, Digger said:

Agreed that the WJC is a great tournament.  I look forward to it every year.  This year's did not happen because of Covid concerns.  Why play it in August and then again in December at the traditional time?

August will be the 2022 Championship while December will be the 2023 Championship. Most teams turn over about 80% of their teams year to year as it is a 19 year old tournament.

I don’t mind this as it gives kids a once in a lifetime experience. This is the highlight of a few hockey careers.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.