GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - January 22, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

woods-racer

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

Flyers looked like we did during the last days of Krueger.

Under the radar, but I thought Cozens had a fantastic game.

He and Asplund work well together. 
Maybe put Quinn on that line when He is ready. 

39 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

When is the last time the Sabres have had three players on Hatty Watch? 

March 2008 

Hecht, Vanek and Pommers 

Vanek had the Hatty per Duffer 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Flyers looked like we did during the last days of Krueger.

Under the radar, but I thought Cozens had a fantastic game.

There is nothing flashy or stylish about Cozens's game in comparison to a player such as Krebs or Tage. He is a meat and potato type player who doesn't dazzle you with his game. This is a player whose game is more substance than style. Even when he isn't producing stats he is a positive player for us. He and Samuelsson are not so much noticeable players as they are good players. I really like both of them. 

• Like (+1) 5

Just now, JohnC said:

There is nothing flashy or stylish about Cozens's game in comparison to a player such as Krebs or Tage. He is a meat and potato type player who doesn't dazzle you with his game. This is a player whose game is more substance than style. Even when he isn't producing stats he is a positive player for us. He and Samuelsson are not so much noticeable players as they are good players. I really like both of them. 

Except in the literal sense, but agree otherwise

Skinner 27 points

Thompson 28 points 

*Hands up* who had both those totals at the season mid-ish point..

Even defending Skinner all offseason I probably wouldn’t have had him that high. Thompson’s I’d have laughed it off in totality. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Skinner 27 points

Thompson 28 points 

*Hands up* who had both those totals at the season mid-ish point..

Even defending Skinner all offseason I probably wouldn’t have had him that high. Thompson’s I’d have laughed it off in totality. 

Granato earned his salary in putting our highest paid player in a position to succeed. Instead of being lost in the abyss he is now producing at a level where there is a  reasonable return on a high cost investment. Does his production match his contract? Maybe not. But at least now because of his goal scoring prowess he is key contributor. Coaching matters!

• Like (+1) 5

2 hours ago, steveoath said:

Would they reset the game clock on a challenge like that if the challenge was correct?

Yes, the Sabres would've had the original PP resume at the time they'd've determined Krebs was offsides.

Fortunately, the view from the main camera made it look like Krebs was still on the line when Thompson got around to bringing the puck into the zone because the blue line cam made it look like he was offsides by ~1/2".

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Granato earned his salary in putting our highest paid player in a position to succeed. Instead of being lost in the abyss he is now producing at a level where there is a  reasonable return on a high cost investment. Does his production match his contract? Maybe not. But at least now because of his goal scoring prowess he is key contributor. Coaching matters!

Skinner has to put up 25 goals a year just for that contract to not be an anchor around the Sabres neck.  It would still be a bad contract, but if he produces at that level it is somewhat tolerable.  With him not having much of a value in terms of overtime or penalty kill, he has to justify his entire contract by putting the puck in the net.  To totally justify it, he'd have to put up close to 40 every year (which he isn't doing) but you want to make sure he just gives you something.

15 minutes ago, JohnC said:

That’s not earning your salary, that’s base level competence.

5 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Skinner has to put up 25 goals a year just for that contract to not be an anchor around the Sabres neck.  It would still be a bad contract, but if he produces at that level it is somewhat tolerable.  With him not having much of a value in terms of overtime or penalty kill, he has to justify his entire contract by putting the puck in the net.  To totally justify it, he'd have to put up close to 40 every year (which he isn't doing) but you want to make sure he just gives you something.

Don’t forget that he draws penalties, and his scoring is all the more valuable ES variety

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

And for the love of god can we stop leaving out assists from these conversations. Goals were the only thing Skinns was contributing when that was the only thing he was contributing. It wasn’t the case last year after Krueger left, which I kept pointing out, and it’s not the case now

Putting the puck in the net isn’t the only way he puts a dent in the contract 

5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Been saying that since he was here at the WJCs.  He likes to play physical in front of his own net, he just hasn't had the "man strength" to do so yet.  He'll get there.

I agree.  His 207 weight can get to 215 with muscle added.  He will get stronger.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, woods-racer said:

A quick peek at the schedule and I believe the Sabres have lost 6 games in a row and 5 games in a row once so far this year.

Flyers are in a 10 game losing streak.

In their 2nd 10 game losing streak at the time you posted this.  And both in just the 1st 1/2 of the season.  It's a shame actually, because if they keep this up Yeo won't be back next year.  We LIKE Mike Yeo coaching the Phlyers.  😉

1 minute ago, Taro T said:

In their 2nd 10 game losing streak at the time you posted this.  And both in just the 1st 1/2 of the season.  It's a shame actually, because if they keep this up Yeo won't be back next year.  We LIKE Mike Yeo coaching the Phlyers.  😉

Surprising they are even ahead of us..

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

When is the last time the Sabres have had three players on Hatty Watch? 

Per Brian Duff, 2008 vs TB.  6 unanswered goals in the 3rd for a 7-4 win.  Pominville & Roy Hecht w/a pair each & Vanek w/ a hattie.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.