GDT - Flyers @ Sabres - January 22, 2022 - 1:00 PM (EST) - MSG-B and WGR

woods-racer

51 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There is nothing flashy or stylish about Cozens's game in comparison to a player such as Krebs or Tage. He is a meat and potato type player who doesn't dazzle you with his game. This is a player whose game is more substance than style. Even when he isn't producing stats he is a positive player for us. He and Samuelsson are not so much noticeable players as they are good players. I really like both of them. 

Exactly. He's a solid 2 way player. A "complete' player if you like. Thinking of the Flyers, maybe a little like Richards was for them before his drug problems. 

• Like (+1) 2

Know that Thompson, Tuch, & Skinner worked well on the PP, but would still prefer to have Cozens between those W's at 5v5.  They were together for 15 seconds & got the 1st goal of the night.

Let Thompson & Tuch become besties on the PP & PK, but Cozens & those 2 just work (at least they have so far).  And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was surprised to see that the Phlyers can't get anyone to sponsor their helmets.  (Can't believe the Sniders would pass up revenue on principle, so expecting they just can't get any takers.)

Nice to finally get a home W again.  But, wow, this current incarnation of Filly is REALLY bad.

So, all it took for getting Dahlin to play to his potential was getting him named to the ASG?  He's been lights out since that announcement.

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Taro T said:

This isn't a Hallmark Movie.  As feel good a story that might be, and it really is one, it AIN'T happening.

Sadly.

If you look at his time at the NHL level, I think he's had one bad game.

They should at least teach him how to drive the Zamboni so he can be the EBG.

10 minutes ago, Taro T said:

So, all it took for getting Dahlin to play to his potential was getting him named to the ASG?  He's been lights out since that announcement.

I think getting an "A" changed Dahlin further. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Know that Thompson, Tuch, & Skinner worked well on the PP, but would still prefer to have Cozens between those W's at 5v5.  They were together for 15 seconds & got the 1st goal of the night.

Let Thompson & Tuch become besties on the PP & PK, but Cozens & those 2 just work (at least they have so far).  And if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Was surprised to see that the Phlyers can't get anyone to sponsor their helmets.  (Can't believe the Sniders would pass up revenue on principle, so expecting they just can't get any takers.)

Nice to finally get a home W again.  But, wow, this current incarnation of Filly is REALLY bad.

This is shocking to me. 

I was looking at TOI and I’m pretty happy with how Granato is running the forward lines.  Tuch and Thompson with over 20min while VO, Bjork, and Eakin at 12-13min.

Granato hasn’t lost faith in Asplund yet with 15min TOI.  His passing game is obviously his strength but he need to start putting it together or Krebs (also with 15min TOI) is going to start getting his more of his shifts when Middlestat returns. 

I feel like we are finally starting to see real competition at spots and this is exactly what a team this age needs

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Taro T said:

In their 2nd 10 game losing streak at the time you posted this.  And both in just the 1st 1/2 of the season.  It's a shame actually, because if they keep this up Yeo won't be back next year.  We LIKE Mike Yeo coaching the Phlyers.  😉

For one more year!

edit.

I don't believe that Philly has bottomed out yet. A coaching change could/should help. But that roster has serious problems without much in the pipeline. It's not as if next year they are going to bring in 2-3 young-ins and acquire some veteran help.

Talk is that Claude is on the deadline trade wires. Their best player who is in his last year of his contract has a good chance of not re-signing with Philly. That Ristro trade looking more brillant.

Edited by woods-racer
  • Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

We played the Flyers, they are awful.

and Ottawa. The win in that one was solely due to Michael Houser. Baby steps, but keep the emotions in check for the upper echelon teams in this league. That is where you want to see progress.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, eman said:

and Ottawa. The win in that one was solely due to Michael Houser. Baby steps, but keep the emotions in check for the upper echelon teams in this league. That is where you want to see progress.

We where supposed to be worse than Arizona and Ottawa by a lot this year. We lost our 2 best players, our stud defenseman, our best goalie. Yet here we are looking better than last year at this time. Beating teams that us as fans really think we should beat because we are *better* and more talented.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

And for the love of god can we stop leaving out assists from these conversations. Goals were the only thing Skinns was contributing when that was the only thing he was contributing. It wasn’t the case last year after Krueger left, which I kept pointing out, and it’s not the case now

Putting the puck in the net isn’t the only way he puts a dent in the contract 

Before this season, I know that I never gave Skinner's playmaking ability much credence.  Similar to VO over the last few games.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thorny said:

Skinner 27 points

Thompson 28 points 

*Hands up* who had both those totals at the season mid-ish point..

Even defending Skinner all offseason I probably wouldn’t have had him that high. Thompson’s I’d have laughed it off in totality. 

Both of those totals have been earned.

To me, Skinner’s signature move the past two years was trying to twist and shimmy through a defender then turning over the puck. This year, the shimmy works more and when it doesn’t work he keeps battling and often reclaims the puck. And moves it where it needs to go. His neutral zone play on the first goal was a case in point.

You can credit better linemates if you want, but I see more consistent effort and smarter play.

Tage’s game is so much more direct and forceful. When he starts dancing, it’s with purpose. Where he used to try to play with finesse, now it’s about power.

Full credit to both players for making the changes they needed to make.

More credit to Donnie for telling them what they needed to do and giving them the opportunity to do it.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

12 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Both of those totals have been earned.

To me, Skinner’s signature move the past two years was trying to twist and shimmy through a defender then turning over the puck. This year, the shimmy works more and when it doesn’t work he keeps battling and often reclaims the puck. And moves it where it needs to go. His neutral zone play on the first goal was a case in point.

You can credit better linemates if you want, but I see more consistent effort and smarter play.

Tage’s game is so much more direct and forceful. When he starts dancing, it’s with purpose. Where he used to try to play with finesse, now it’s about power.

Full credit to both players for making the changes they needed to make.

More credit to Donnie for telling them what they needed to do and giving them the opportunity to do it.

I hate the injuries, but because of injuries, Casey, Tage and Dylan have all had a chance to be 1C since Granato took over.  This whole thing of throwing them in and letting them struggle in order to learn might just pay off.

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

That’s not earning your salary, that’s base level competence.

Don’t forget that he draws penalties, and his scoring is all the more valuable ES variety

19th in the league in ES goals right now, 32 in goals overall.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.