Sabres sale rumor

PromoTheRobot

4 hours ago, aristocrat said:

I've heard some things but not sure of the article you're speaking of.  I don't understand how a guy bought the team out of bankruptcy, team continued to lose money and then sold it to the current guy for double the price like 2 years later or something.  Just hilarious

It's the Athletic, so it's pay walled. But just in case, here's the link.  I've worked for a lot of guys like these. Scumbags.

https://theathletic.com/2390146/2021/02/16/arizona-coyotes-investigation-toxic/

Edited by PromoTheRobot

Think I recall reading on here that Steve Smith was a "Krueger" hire and Granato was a "Botterill" hire.

And that is often the case when it comes to rounding out a coaching staff. Not that the coach and the GM work separately, just that there are various degrees of compromise in where the buck stops.

Edited by dudacek

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Think I recall reading on here that Steve Smith was a "Krueger" hire and "Granato" was a Botterill hire.

And that is often the case when it comes to rounding out a coaching staff. Not that the coach and the GM work separately, just that there are various degrees of compromise in where the buck stops.

Friedman mentioned this once. That the GM and HC each get to pick one Asst Coach and they usually mutually agree on the Third. 

Botterill picked Granato, Krueger Steve Smith. 

Bales stayed by mutual decision 

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's amazing that after all this time some people still talk about the Pegulas "making mistakes." They didn't. They hired good, reputable, touted hockey people, some with long histories of success.

They were the mistake.

We know you have a hard on for them. You don't have to repeat yourself.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Why would they hire someone basically already fulfilling that role in Adams?

What does a minority owner bring?  Surely that person would outrank Adams?  

On the Org. Chart Adams is GM. Kim is President.  What would the minority owner be and do ?  Could this person have Kim’s fictitious role and title ? 

Edited by Pimlach

15 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

What does a minority owner bring?  Surely that person would outrank Adams?  

On the Org. Chart Adams is GM. Kim is President.  What would the minority owner be and do ? 

Own an investment. The assumption an investor wants to also run the team seems faulty to me. 

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's amazing that after all this time some people still talk about the Pegulas "making mistakes." They didn't. 

It fell apart when LaFontaine went out the door and it's never recovered since. 

Many veteran and respected EXPERIENCED hockey people have been available over the years (including Rick Dudley) and they have chosen not to put the team in the hands of any of them, choosing instead to hire newbies (to the GM role) who they could presumably control/influence.  It's on them. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

Even in WWI and WWII (the big one) they had cease fires for Christmas.  Even in bloody Stalingrad!!

Pretty sure the battle of the bulge was happening during Christmas 1944 and there was no cease fire. In the pacific theater their certainly wasn't. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:55 PM, GASabresIUFAN said:

Sabres value is at it’s lowest right now.  Who sells at the low unless he’s hard up for money. I also doubt he sells completely.  I can see him bringing in a partner.

I like Chychrun, he fell in the Nylander draft for some reason to the middle of the 1st rd.  I had him right up there with Sergachev. He has 3 years left at 4.6, but is another LHD and is having a terrible season.  Honestly it doesn’t make sense to acquire him.  Not sure why we need another LHD puck mover. 

With the increased value of his estate since buying the Bills, Pegula could dump the Sabres tomorrow, take a huge loss, and not miss the cash from his spare change drawer in his sock dresser at home.

It's not enough to prevent a multi-billionaire from getting out if he has had enough and wants to get out.

Remember when he bought the Bills?  He overpaid by a couple hundred million dollars!  When asked, he just shook off the question and said "I got what I wanted, so I'm happy with the price."

People with this level of money do not play by anything close to the rules you do.

The loss he would realize upon the sale of the team tomorrow is not relevant to his decision to sell or not, IMO.

Edited by Kruppstahl

On 12/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, LGR4GM said:

What's the summary of the rumor?

I haven't listened yet, but will do so.

I had heard maybe a week ago (just through sports fan discussion) that Kim wanted desperately to sell the team, but Terry did not, and so they were not selling the Sabres at this time.

I hadn't heard ANYTHING about that, and wondered if it wasn't purely manufactured by fans or what.

I can totally see that, however.  Kim doesn't have the heart-strings tying her to the team that Terry has, and from Kim's perspective, the whole experience has been terrible, hard, work, and not bringing pleasure to the life of a billionaire...which was the idea behind buying the team.

I'd be willing to bet the person who needs convincing to sell is Terry, not Kim.

I have been calling for this for a couple of years now--focus on the Bills, Terry!  It's going so much better over there--and that's the real gemstone in your asset ownership crown anyway!  Not the Sabres you dimwit!

Come on Terry, dump the team!  You can do it!  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

With the increased value of his estate since buying the Bills, Pegula could dump the Sabres tomorrow, take a huge loss, and not miss the cash from his spare change drawer in his sock dresser at home.

It's not enough to prevent a multi-billionaire from getting out if he has had enough and wants to get out.

Remember when he bought the Bills?  He overpaid by a couple hundred million dollars!  When asked, he just shook off the question and said "I got what I wanted, so I'm happy with the price."

People with this level of money do not play by anything close to the rules you do.

The loss he would realize upon the sale of the team tomorrow is not relevant to his decision to sell or not, IMO.

First of all he won't take a loss selling the team right now.  The value has certainly increased in general since he acquired the team.  Second there is such a thing as asset rich and cash poor.  If he needs cash now, I can see him bringing in a partner or selling, but I think that is unlikely.  People like the Pegulas didn't get where they are being selling good assets at bargain prices.  If KA's plan works, the revenue it generates  and therefore the franchise value will increase substantially in the next few years.  If he wants out, he'll sell then.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/21/2021 at 5:35 PM, LGR4GM said:

What's the summary of the rumor?

I finally just watched the video.  It's pretty short and to the point, so everyone should watch it if they haven't already.

Here is what's interesting to me: Elliotte Friedman is one of the 3 or 4 guys who breaks ALL the NHL news, always.

And the first thing he says here is "I have been hearing rumors of the Pegulas wanting to sell the Sabres for a long time."

He follows that up by suggesting now is not the right timing because of the politics behind getting governmental financial support for a new Bills stadium.

That may or may not be relevant.  What if Pegula sells the team in such a manner that he guarantees commitment to the WNY area from the new owner?  That's just as much a service to WNY as if he continued to own the team personally, and it would impact the new stadium project about the same, I would think.

But there is some source of hope here.  Keep an eye on that stadium project.  When it's finally here, perhaps Pegula will be finally gone from the Sabres.

That is the day we have to all hold out hope for at this point.

The circus won't change much until Pegula is gone.

PS:  The recent Pegula New Stadium Proposal has the whole thing slated to be finished no later than 2027.

I haven't been following stadium talk very closely b/c I have zero control over any of it, and the story is going to take a couple dozen twists and turns before its over.  The whole thing is built around a complex set of political concerns in any event.  I don't think ANYONE knows how it will play out at this point.

But at least that date of 2027 is something to base some thought around, assuming there is a nexus between stadium construction and Pegula sale of the Sabres.  

We've made it this far; I can do another 5 years easy.

😜

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.