As a SABRES fan

SABRESfan

2 hours ago, SABRESfan said:

What is the one team you despise the most? The one that the sheer sight of their jersey is enough to make you shake your head and scoff.  
For me it’s the Rangers.  The entitlement that their fans have knows no bounds.  (Similar to Yankee fans) The difference being that the Yankees have won a lot.  Ranger fans still pray to Messier.  A great player yes, but also among the biggest cheap shot artists the game has ever seen.

That aside, what is your number two team and why? (if you have one) I go with the Flyers.  I dig the logo, mascot and the city’s historical significance (plus my son’s favorite color is orange) 🤷🏼‍♂️ 

The dastardly duo for obvious reasons.  Bruins and Flyers are equally dastardly in my books.  There are many reasons, but the two key reasons in my books are ... spring 1975 and Brad Friggin' Park.

Number 2 team is Montréal (ague alert @PASabreFan).  My wife is from there and it's a fantastic city.  Have never been to a game in the Bell Centre, but did go to many in the old Forum.  A 2A would be Pittsburgh, because we lived there when they won their first 2 cups.  Mario was our neighbour then (not right next door, but up the street a bit) before he built his own house out in the country.

• Like (+1) 1

My hate list used to be longer.

Ottawa was near the top when they and we both were relevant.  The mere existence of Chris Neil probably caused the high blood pressure I still enjoy today.

Hated Toronto in the Darcy Tucker days. Now I just have mild disdain for their fanbase.

Hated Philly when they and we were both relevant.  I’d love to hate Philly again.  They are quite easy to hate.

But the hatred for Boston outlasts time itself.  Maybe that’s why I always viewed Eichel with suspicion.  Fuggin plant, I think that guy was. F those chowder heads.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, Weave said:

My hate list used to be longer.

Ottawa was near the top when they and we both were relevant.  The mere existence of Chris Neil probably caused the high blood pressure I still enjoy today.

Hated Toronto in the Darcy Tucker days. Now I just have mild disdain for their fanbase.

Hated Philly when they and we were both relevant.  I’d love to hate Philly again.  They are quite easy to hate.

But the hatred for Boston outlasts time itself.  Maybe that’s why I always viewed Eichel with suspicion.  Fuggin plant, I think that guy was. F those chowder heads.

Hey hey now.. hating a team is one thing but New England Clam chowder?? Complete with a spec of cayenne pepper and freshly baked bread on the side..  Man oh man. 😆 

11 minutes ago, SABRESfan said:

Hey hey now.. hating a team is one thing but New England Clam chowder?? Complete with a spec of cayenne pepper and freshly baked bread on the side..  Man oh man. 😆 

1 and 1a are the Rangers and Leafs

2 is Pittsburgh, but they are way far back.

-NY fans are the worst and I can say that as soeone who spent some time living in Boston.  The most arrogant fans, entitled fans, some of them are as dumb as bricks but you can't have a discussion with them because they think they are Mensa level sports savants.  Sure, there are fans like that everywhere, but it seems to center on the NY/Tri-state area.  I want that team to lose so much not because of the players, but the fans in the area I cannot stand.  The media covering NY teams isn't far behind the fans either.

-Toronto Fans are very very close second. Arrogant, think they city is entitled to something.  Want to be called "the hockey capital of the world" or at least "the hockey capital of Canada", when personally I still think that is Montreal over Toronto.  They just think everything about them is better than it is. They think their star player is ALWAYS better than anyone elses star player. Their management is ALWAYS better than everyone elses.  If they lose, it is because of something random, bad luck, or because of one single person they choose to blame....but once that person is gone, the overall excellence of their team over all others MUST and WILL be shown 'next' season.  

One thing that puts them a step behind the Rangers is, as PEOPLE (everything other than sports fans), they tend to be nice people that you can talk to about anything else. I can't say that for many New Yorkers I have run into, especially the big time fans Too many arrogant and dumb NY sports fans have their lives centered around sports.

BTW, as a kid I was a life long Yankees fan, might have been my 2nd or 3rd favorite team in any sport. I follow them now out of force of habit, but I have been exposed to their fans and sportswriters garbage for so long I now longer really care about them.

-Pittsburgh. Nothing really against the City, but they just got so lucky.  Probably ended up with the Best player drafted first overall in the modern hockey Era (Lemieux), they they luck into Crosby, and not only that but have an unreal number of to 5 picks to go along with that.

1 hour ago, mjd1001 said:

1 and 1a are the Rangers and Leafs

2 is Pittsburgh, but they are way far back.

-NY fans are the worst and I can say that as soeone who spent some time living in Boston.  The most arrogant fans, entitled fans, some of them are as dumb as bricks but you can't have a discussion with them because they think they are Mensa level sports savants.  Sure, there are fans like that everywhere, but it seems to center on the NY/Tri-state area.  I want that team to lose so much not because of the players, but the fans in the area I cannot stand.  The media covering NY teams isn't far behind the fans either.

-Toronto Fans are very very close second. Arrogant, think they city is entitled to something.  Want to be called "the hockey capital of the world" or at least "the hockey capital of Canada", when personally I still think that is Montreal over Toronto.  They just think everything about them is better than it is. They think their star player is ALWAYS better than anyone elses star player. Their management is ALWAYS better than everyone elses.  If they lose, it is because of something random, bad luck, or because of one single person they choose to blame....but once that person is gone, the overall excellence of their team over all others MUST and WILL be shown 'next' season.  

One thing that puts them a step behind the Rangers is, as PEOPLE (everything other than sports fans), they tend to be nice people that you can talk to about anything else. I can't say that for many New Yorkers I have run into, especially the big time fans Too many arrogant and dumb NY sports fans have their lives centered around sports.

BTW, as a kid I was a life long Yankees fan, might have been my 2nd or 3rd favorite team in any sport. I follow them now out of force of habit, but I have been exposed to their fans and sportswriters garbage for so long I now longer really care about them.

As a sports fan who lived in NYC for 19 years I echo your sentiments.  If anything you were kind.  The most entitled fan base I have ever seen.. and as arrogant as it gets.  Yankee fans are perhaps the worst of the worst.  Many of them don’t even know the game of baseball.  I am a Red Sox fan but again, living in NYC for a while was a good litmus test for me regarding “your average Yankee fan”.. with that obnoxious Brooklyn accent. 

I'd start with the Bruins.  Next come the Leafs and Habs.  Then the Sens.  Then Philly.  Then Pittsburgh.  After that, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other.  Bruins and Habs are old Adams Division rivals and have always been in the Sabres' division.  The Leafs were in the old Adams Division with Buffalo in the 70s, but then were not in the Sabres' division for a long time (from 1981-1998).  The Sens have been in the Sabres' division most or all of their life, although they haven't been in the league that long, from a historical basis.  Philly has not been in the Sabres' division, but they are an old Conference rival that has often been a playoff oppenent in years when the Sabres were good.  Pittsburgh has been extremely successful in two regimes, the Lemieux-Jagr era and the Crosby-Malkin era, plus they knocked us out of the playoffs way back in 1979, one of the more traumatic games from my youth.

Edited by msw2112

Public Enemy #1 - Leafs - Traditional

#2 - Penguins. I can’t think of another team I hate more in all of sports. The most undeserving fan base and franchise for Lemieux and Crosby. I wish nothing but disease and pestilence on that franchise when Crosby goes. Nothing would make me happier than to see them fall into a Sabres like funk for 12 seasons, Their fan base would never survive, franchise would probably move after 5 years. 

#3 Bruins - enough said

#4 Flyers - I have a love hate relationship with them. I find myself cheering for them when they are not playing the Sabres. I’d rather see Flyers beat the likes of the Bruins, Rangers, Montreal, Toronto etc.

I assume all the Leaf haters are young. 

I never got the Leaf hate, as Toronto was always tucked away in the Norris Division in the Campbell Conference!  They were just never a rival to Buffalo and we hardly ever played them in anything approaching important games.  I am also very familiar with TO the city, and LOVE IT.  So there's that.  

Hatred comes from facing--and losing to--the same teams over and over and over, particularly in playoff games.  (I think).  

For this reason, my historic "most hated team" was always Montreal.  Just HATED THEM...but that was when they were good and we were our usual middling selves.

Boston would make sense as a team to hate, and I can understand anyone here who listed them. But they are very well run and structure themselves precisely as I wish the Sabres would.  I admire that franchise--can't hate them for that reason.  When we beat them with the May Day goal, it sure felt good though!  I hated them at that time! 

But my favorite team to hate is definitely not Montreal nowadays.  Hasn't been them for a very long time.

I think it would have to be the Pittsburgh Penguins.  I just hate every last thing about that organization, their approach to hockey, the players they've had forever, the uniforms, all of it.  No team in the league makes me go "BLAH" like the Penguins! 

In contrast, my second FAVORITE TEAM after the Sabres is, and has always been, the Edmonton Oilers.  

I fell in love with those guys in the early '80s when they were, by far, the most exciting NHL team of all time, and it just got in my blood.  I love that franchise, as bad as they have been for so long now.

I still say the 1991 Battle of Alberta (the last real one there ever was) is, BY FAR, the greatest 7 game NHL playoff hockey series I have ever seen.  You can see pieces of it on Youtube.  

This is a long post; longer than I intended, but it's a good question!  I'm wondering if a single person will actually read it.  

🤔

On 12/17/2021 at 9:50 PM, bunomatic said:

Canucks more because of proximity to where I live and those are the games I went to as a kid but the Sabres have been front and center for me since I was about 10. So between the two teams a whole lot of suffering.

We are like twins of losing! I have always felt a strong connection with Vancouver and its fanbase for that reason--and it's why I definitely always kind of liked the Canucks.  They also never really played the Sabres in a meaningful hockey game as well, which helps.

Edited by Kruppstahl
  • Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

I assume all the Leaf haters are young. 

I never got the Leaf hate, as Toronto was also tucked away in the Norris Division in the Campbell Conference!  They were just never a rival to Buffalo and we hardly ever played them in anything approach important games.  I am also very familiar with TO the city, and LOVE IT.  So there's that.  

Hatred comes from facing--and losing to--the same teams over and over and over, particularly in playoff games.  (I think).  

For this reason, my historic "most hated team" was always Montreal.  Just HATED THEM...but that was when they were good and we were our usual middling selves.

Boston would make sense as a team to hate, and I can understand anyone here who listed them. But they are very well run and structure themselves precisely as I wish the Sabres would.  I admire that franchise--can't hate them for that reason.  When we beat them with the May Day goal, it sure felt good though!  I hated them at that time! 

But my favorite team to hate is definitely not Montreal nowadays.  Hasn't been them for a very long time.

I think it would have to be the Pittsburgh Penguins.  I just hate every last thing about that organization, their approach to hockey, the players they've had forever, the uniforms, all of it.  No team in the league makes me go "BLAH" like the Penguins! 

In contrast, my second FAVORITE TEAM after the Sabres is, and has always been, the Edmonton Oilers.  

I fell in love with those guys in the early '80s when they were, by far, the most exciting NHL team of all time, and it just got in my blood.  I love that franchise, as bad as they have been for so long now.

I still say the 1991 Battle of Alberta (the last real one there ever was) is, BY FAR, the greatest 7 game NHL playoff hockey series I have ever seen.  You can see pieces of it on Youtube.  

This is long post; longer than I intended, but it's a good question!  I'm wondering if a single person will actually read it.  

🤔

We are like twins of losing! I have always felt a strong connection with Vancouver and its fanbase for that reason--and it's why I definitely always kind of liked the Canucks.  They also never really played the Sabres in a meaningful hockey game as well, which helps.

You sure about that?  (Pretty sure they played 7 meaningful games 4 decades ago.)

• Like (+1) 2

18 hours ago, Taro T said:

You sure about that?  (Pretty sure they played 7 meaningful games 4 decades ago.)

Not sure I'd call the 1980 preliminary round of the NHL playoffs "meaningful" but it is a playoff series, you're correct there.

Honestly I had forgotten about this series; I was 9 then.

11 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

I read it.

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis and response.

🤫

20 minutes ago, Kruppstahl said:

Not sure I'd call the 1980 preliminary round of the NHL playoffs "meaningful" but it is a playoff series, you're correct there.

Honestly I had forgotten about this series; I was 9 then.

Thanks for your thoughtful analysis and response.

🤫

They met the next year, too.  Sabres swept that one.  Thus why 7 was the quantity chosen.  😉

• Like (+1) 1

On 12/17/2021 at 7:19 PM, msw2112 said:

I'd start with the Bruins.  Next come the Leafs and Habs.  Then the Sens.  Then Philly.  Then Pittsburgh.  After that, I don't really have strong feelings one way or the other.  Bruins and Habs are old Adams Division rivals and have always been in the Sabres' division.  The Leafs were in the old Adams Division with Buffalo in the 70s, but then were not in the Sabres' division for a long time (from 1981-1998).  The Sens have been in the Sabres' division most or all of their life, although they haven't been in the league that long, from a historical basis.  Philly has not been in the Sabres' division, but they are an old Conference rival that has often been a playoff oppenent in years when the Sabres were good.  Pittsburgh has been extremely successful in two regimes, the Lemieux-Jagr era and the Crosby-Malkin era, plus they knocked us out of the playoffs way back in 1979, one of the more traumatic games from my youth.

I was in the reds behind the Sabres net in OT for that game. It happened so quickly and was so stunning. This and the Brad Park game seven OT goal in '83 were the most traumatic goals from my youth.

Edited by Dreams Burn Down

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.