NHL is going to try to back out of the Olympics.

Eleven

The NHL and the NHLPA's participation in the Olympics was agreed to with the caveat either party could withdraw if they felt uncomfortable with the COVID climate.

This possibility isn't new, Omicron is.

https://www.vancouverislandfreedaily.com/sports/olympics-top-nhl-agenda-at-board-of-governors-meeting-in-florida/

5 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I was hoping for this as a protest over Peng Shuai or the Uyghurs.  You know -- principle.

It seems that countries don't have the backbone for this and that will leave it up to the athletes, which is not fair when they have trained their whole life for this opportunity.

That's all I will say on this for fear of sending this thread to the *club*.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Now we all know what excuses it will use.  "Humanitarian grounds" that have existed for a long time and COVID, which is entering its third year.  This is BS.

If it comes to fruition, will take a bit of self-imposed pressure off Eichel's rehabilitation.  So, there's that.

in general, agree w/ @Marvin, Sabres Fan.  Standing on principle would have been nice but was too much to ask for.

• Like (+1) 3

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

It seems that countries don't have the backbone for this and that will leave it up to the athletes, which is not fair when they have trained their whole life for this opportunity.

Not trying to get political, but I see how the NHL decided to make a move on this since the US, Australia, and the UK announced that they were not sending diplomatic representatives to Beijing for the Winter Olympics.

As for what the CCP is doing to the Uyghurs, it is absolutely unconscionable.

• Like (+1) 7

5 hours ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

But unlike NHL players, they have not trained their whole life to compete in the Olympics. 

That said, the NHL should take the high road here and pull out. 

• Like (+1) 3

7 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If this is true, I think there will be a number of older players none too happy. Especially some of the Europeans like Ovi and Rask. The older ones who want a shot at that gold. 

Disclaimer: an observation, not political.

From everything I’ve seen in the news over the years and the seemingly cordial relations that Russia and the PRC have had over the years, Ovi and his fellow Russians will more than likely want to be there. The North Americans, maybe not so much.

(If the staff do think that this post is political, do as you see fit.)

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, FogBat said:

Not trying to get political, but I see how the NHL decided to make a move on this since the US, Australia, and the UK announced that they were not sending diplomatic representatives to Beijing for the Winter Olympics.

As for what the CCP is doing to the Uyghurs, it is absolutely unconscionable.

Canada too.

And your last point is bang on.

Edited by The Ghost of Doohickie
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Taro T said:

Expect they'll cite COVID concerns.  Don't expect any mention of human rights on it.

But, their shirts are made in Indonisia, so maybe.

Yeah my first post mentioned COVID.  That's probably the route they'll take.

11 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

If this is true, I think there will be a number of older players none too happy. Especially some of the Europeans like Ovi and Rask. The older ones who want a shot at that gold. 

Didn't Ovechkin go anyway one year?  Or threaten to, or something?

3 hours ago, Eleven said:

Yeah my first post mentioned COVID.  That's probably the route they'll take.

Didn't Ovechkin go anyway one year?  Or threaten to, or something?

He did make that threat. Don't remember how it played out and too lazy to look it up. He has said though he would like to win a gold medal at the Olympics to go with his cup before his career is over, and he seems to be playing inspired this year so I assume it's to be ready for those Olympics. 

On 12/10/2021 at 4:48 PM, Eleven said:

Now we all know what excuses it will use.  "Humanitarian grounds" that have existed for a long time and COVID, which is entering its third year.  This is BS.

Depends though, I can imagine that omicron variant hitting Beijing and China putting that entire city on lockdown.   Would be fun for your team if your players are stuck for 1 month over there 🙂

If National Teams do not do the right thing I hope that the NHL and / or the players do, either collectively or individually.

They must stand up and be accountable and tell the world that it has nothing to do with COVID.  Why would the damn IOC award the games to a country with a long history of human rights violations?

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

If National Teams do not do the right thing I hope that the NHL and / or the players do, either collectively or individually.

They must stand up and be accountable and tell the world that it has nothing to do with COVID.  Why would the damn IOC award the games to a country with a long history of human rights violations?

Because the IOC can be bought.

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.