Countdown to 32.

Buffalonill

Interestingly Arizona and Buffalo raced to the McDavid tank all 2015.  Ironically both are probably the bottom 2, 6 years later.  I am sure Montreal (on pride alone), NY (by this weekend), and Ottawa will eventually pass us, no doubt. Their rosters are much better. 

Edited by Gatorman0519

Arizona has a few players to move by the deadline namely Kessel. 
Montreal might get Price back

Ottawa is hit or miss 

Buffalo will get Tuch back and shortly after the TDL I imagine Krebs, Peterka, Samuelson and Quinn will make a 5-9 game cameo appearance. 
Plus Power, Johnson along with the possibility of Portillo and/or Levi will be signed and get some games. 

I do not see them finishing 32nd for these reasons. 

Edited by Brawndo

6 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ottawa is hit or miss 

Buffalo will get Tuch back and shortly after the TDL I imagine Krebs, Peterka, Samuelson and Quinn will make a 5-9 game cameo appearance. 
Plus Power, Johnson along with the possibility of Portillo and/or Levi will be signed and get some games. 

Wouldn't all their contracts slide if they don't play though?

22 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ottawa is hit or miss 

I really don't see Tuch or the 20 year olds being much of a difference for the Sabres this year.

And there's a chance that the Sabres current young guys hit a wall, as many of them have not played an 80+ game NHL schedule.

If the goaltending improves, maybe UPL catches lightning in a bottle or Anderson returns at peak form, that could help.

Other than that, only Arizona's awfulness will keep the Sabres out of the 32nd spot.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Doohickie said:

When the dust settles at the end of this season the Buffalo Sabres will not be bottom 5.  We will be drafting at around 7 or 8.

love the optimism, I don't see it.  I think Adams doesnt care where they finish. just cares about developing the players, which is the right approach.

bottom 3 written all of the roster that I dont see getting reinforcements until the last 9 or 10 games of the season.

Power, Quinn, JJ, Krebs... i think Samuelsson comes up soon than later.

• Like (+1) 1

I think this all depends on whether or not UPL becomes the guy.  I’d still keep him in Rochester when everyone is healthy but I’d also like to see what he is. If GMKA feels the time is right and UPL Is here for the rest of the season, that may dramatically change my answer. 

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Ottawa is hit or miss 

I would think he wouldn't want them all to come off their ELC's in the same year. May make sense to have a couple expire in 2024 and the rest in 2025. meaning that 2 or so will get enough games this season to come off their ELC in 2 years rather than 3 

14 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

love the optimism, I don't see it.  I think Adams doesnt care where they finish. just cares about developing the players, which is the right approach.

bottom 3 written all of the roster that I dont see getting reinforcements until the last 9 or 10 games of the season.

The big money question is does losing most of the games develop them or stunt their growth. I guess we’ll find out.

2 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

I would think he wouldn't want them all to come off their ELC's in the same year. May make sense to have a couple expire in 2024 and the rest in 2025. meaning that 2 or so will get enough games this season to come off their ELC in 2 years rather than 3 

I imagine Power, Portillo and Johnson all get to burn a year off Their ELCs as an incentive to turn pro when Their Years are over 

• Like (+1) 3

56 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

Adams is not apathetic about their place in the standings.  His position is the epicenter for the organization, existing between ownership, coaching, while maintaining a strategic plan for how they will compete.  

3-13-2 over an 18 game stretch isn't a drop in the bucket for an 82 game schedule.  They clearly don't have the talent to win regularly, but I'm concerned about effort and being out of place.  Those are the things that need immediate improvement and continued losing makes those issues worse.  

That's another reason elevating the kids from Rochester is not a solution.  I wouldn't want them in this environment and unless GM-In-The-Sky Terry intercedes and forces Adams' hand, I don't see it happening to alleviate what's wrong now.  It'd be a desperation move. 

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

Per Cap Friendly, which is usually spot on, Krebs Deal is not slide eligible while Quinn and Peterka’s are. 

Correct.  Krebs contract already slid 2 seasons.  No more slides unless he sits an entire year for reasons other than injury.  So, no more slides.

1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

I imagine Power, Portillo and Johnson all get to burn a year off Their ELCs as an incentive to turn pro when Their Years are over 

Definitely expect them to make a full court press to get Johnson to sign.  Maybe even going so far as to guarantee he'll get into 10 of the Sabres last 11 games to let him accrue a year of service towards FA (or 10 of however many games remain after Minny's season ends, he'd be eligible for 11 games if they make the Frozen 4 Finals) & not just burn an ELC year.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Brawndo said:

Ottawa is hit or miss 

Ok. But with our goalies, we will win not more than 3 from 10...

I think dilligaf was the plan going into the season. It could even be the real reason Linus walked?

Do any of you think these billionaires owners give a rats ass what we think?

They probably get reports of these message board conversations for giggles and laugh their balls off at us while they’re out on the golf course.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

This has been a bottom 5 team from the outset.  The 5-1-1 start was fools gold.

Yup, and the second half of the season is always tougher than the first, and this time after the Olympic break it will be extremely difficult as teams will want those points and we will be playing for nothing.

Come on people we have lived this for a decade. We know how this will end. The Sabres are like a Marvel movie, the characters might change but it is the exact same movie every time. When push comes to shove we know the Sabres will not be beat to the bottom.

It still amazes me that through a decade of lotteries that the Sabres have never moved up once. Maybe this is the year. Finish third worst and win the lottery.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.