What we’ve learned from the Jack Eichel conclusion

dudacek

I learned a lot from this saga.

<Defeated and broken, needing medical assistance, Jackikin Eichwalker slides down the hot sands on the moon of Vegas.>

Oki-pos-obi: You were the Chosen...er... the One Immediately After the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the rebuild, not continue it. It was you who would bring playoffs to the Buffalo, not leave it with a record drought.

<Oki picks up Eichwalker's jersey, dusting off the C, and carefully folds it up. He will hold it for a future skater.>
Jackikin Eichwalker: I hate you!
Oki-pos-obi: You were my Captain, Jackikin! I loved you.

<Jackikin slides further into the burning desert sands of Vegas. Oki-pos-obi walks away to face the rebuild.>

<Later...  GM Sheevyn arrives, saddened by what has transpired. He directs the league to put Jackikin into a trading capsule, immediately. They race him away to the Vegas medical center for surgery. When surgery ends, Eichwalker is encased in a GOLDEN SUIT of armor. He wakes to find GM Sheevyn is there.>
Eichwalker: Where is Reino? Is he safe?
GM Sheevyn: I'm afraid, for your anger at the rebuild... I traded Reino.
Eichwalker: You shouldn't have. He was fine. Noooooo!
<GM Sheevyn smiles.>

End credits.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

I learned a lot from this saga.

<Defeated and broken, needing medical assistance, Jackikin Eichwalker slides down the hot sands on the moon of Vegas.>

Oki-pos-obi: You were the Chosen...er... the One Immediately After the Chosen One! It was said you would destroy the rebuild, not continue it. It was you who would bring playoffs to the Buffalo, not leave it with a record drought.

<Oki picks up Eichwalker's jersey, dusting off the C, and carefully folds it up. He will hold it for a future skater.>
Jackikin Eichwalker: I hate you!
Oki-pos-obi: You were my Captain, Jackikin! I loved you.

<Jackikin slides further into the burning desert sands of Vegas. Oki-pos-obi walks away to face the rebuild.>

<Later...  GM Sheevyn arrives, saddened by what has transpired. He directs the league to put Jackikin into a trading capsule, immediately. They race him away to the Vegas medical center for surgery. When surgery ends, Eichwalker is encased in a GOLDEN SUIT of armor. He wakes to find GM Sheevyn is there.>
Eichwalker: Where is Reino? Is he safe?
GM Sheevyn: I'm afraid, for your anger at the rebuild... I traded Reino.
Eichwalker: You shouldn't have. He was fine. Noooooo!
<GM Sheevyn smiles.>

End credits.

So who's converting him back to the good side, in the end?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thorny said:

So who's converting him back to the good side, in the end?

GM Sheevyn knew, as I did, if Jackikin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is why your savior (and the draft picks gained from the Eichel/Reinhart deals) remains safely anonymous.

TBD: Levi! Levi is my goalie!

Your insight serves you well. Bury your prospects deep down, TBD. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve GM Sheevyn.

------

Tuch, Krebs, Levi, 2 firsts, and a second are the redemption of Jackikin Eichwalker. And someone throws GM Sheevyn into the bowl of the Stanley Cup at some point. Ahhh... but is that toss into the bowl in celebration? Or does Jack do the tossing when VGK defeats BUF in the Final in four years?

The next trilogy remains to be written. This is where the fun begins.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DarthEbriate said:

GM Sheevyn knew, as I did, if Jackikin were to have any offspring, they would be a threat to him. That is why your savior (and the draft picks gained from the Eichel/Reinhart deals) remains safely anonymous.

TBD: Levi! Levi is my goalie!

Your insight serves you well. Bury your prospects deep down, TBD. They do you credit, but they could be made to serve GM Sheevyn.

------

Tuch, Krebs, Levi, 2 firsts, and a second are the redemption of Jackikin Eichwalker. And someone throws GM Sheevyn into the bowl of the Stanley Cup at some point. Ahhh... but is that toss into the bowl in celebration? Or does Jack do the tossing when VGK defeats BUF in the Final in four years?

The next trilogy remains to be written. This is where the fun begins.

Great.  😒  Just when Disney gets control of the broadcast rights, they're ready to start writing the next trilogy.  What could possibly go wrong w/ that?  😒

• Haha (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Great.  😒  Just when Disney gets control of the broadcast rights, they're ready to start writing the next trilogy.  What could possibly go wrong w/ that?  😒

That's skipping ahead, though. There's a trilogy in between where Eichwalker is redeemed, the Sabre Alliance still blows up two Cups, and we meet Ewoks. The final trilogy is the dismantling of the next core from old age and cap attrition, bringing in new kids, and the eventual demise of GM Sheevyn.

• Awesome! (+1) 3

11 minutes ago, Taro T said:

A-Rodge wore a Rise of Skywalker hoodie yesterday for his interview, we should ask him. 

Oh, and TLJ was great. (turns off notifications) 

4 minutes ago, DarthEbriate said:

That's skipping ahead, though. There's a trilogy in between where Eichwalker is redeemed, the Sabre Alliance still blows up two Cups, and we meet Ewoks. The final trilogy is the dismantling of the next core from old age and cap attrition, bringing in new kids, and the eventual demise of GM Sheevyn.

Nope. Never happened. They definitely didn't weaken the ending of the OT by bringing him back. Didn't happen. Not in my mind. 

We shouldn't forget though, the final trilogy in it's middle chapter has the best performance from the saga's main hero. Whoever that is, for us. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Thorny said:

A-Rodge wore a Rise of Skywalker hoodie yesterday for his interview, we should ask him. 

Oh, and TLJ was great. (turns off notifications) 

Nope. Never happened. They definitely didn't weaken the ending of the OT by bringing him back. Didn't happen. Not in my mind. 

We shouldn't forget though, the final trilogy in it's middle chapter has the best performance from the saga's main hero. Whoever that is, for us. 

Probably getting too far afield for this thread, but:

If you're asking AaRod about anything other than football, prepare to be unamazed.

TLJ was great. Probably tried too hard to do too much, but it was a breath of fresh air and it will likely age like ESB (underappreciated at its time, much better after a few years of distance and rewatching).

TROS... yeah... it was incoherent. GM Sheevyn has to be taken care of (in whatever way), then make a sinister cameo? I'm not sure how that'll work. But that's why they play the games. 

Edit: Sinister cameo as the GM of an expansion team? Maybe someday.

Edited by DarthEbriate
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

1. Never put your eggs in one (or two) baskets. Tanking is a huge risk, culturally.

2. Don’t give a player the C just because they’re the best player.

3. Being a perennial bubble team actually wasn’t all that bad.

I disagree with #3.  That 'bubble team' that you think will never get that far is awful.  To me being a fans is about 2 things (besides winning the cup at all costs).  1. Thinking there is a CHANCE in the next 5 years you may compete/win the cup.   2.  Exceeding expectations, no matter how low they are.    

With being that bubble team, I didn't really get either of those so it was like I was stuck in the gravitational pull of a black hole, slowly just orbiting around the center with no hopes of escaping it.

4 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

I disagree with #3.  That 'bubble team' that you think will never get that far is awful.  To me being a fans is about 2 things (besides winning the cup at all costs).  1. Thinking there is a CHANCE in the next 5 years you may compete/win the cup.   2.  Exceeding expectations, no matter how low they are.    

With being that bubble team, I didn't really get either of those so it was like I was stuck in the gravitational pull of a black hole, slowly just orbiting around the center with no hopes of escaping it.

Every year it felt like we had a chance, haven’t felt that way for 10.5 years now. The league, other fanbases, everyone at least had respect for us. We are now the laughing stock of the NHL. This isn’t better, it’s way worse.

We went from being the Minnesota Twins of the NHL to being the Pittsburgh Pirates. 

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

Every single year there are quality players (usually several of them) drafted in the 11-20 range of the draft, and often there is even a star or 2 in there.  Bubble teams can still get better.  They don’t need to be “stuck” in that situation perpetually.  A team that is on the bubble for several years can improve.

The whole reason that the 2008-2013 Sabres felt that way is because they were drafting/developing like trash so there were no young players coming up to make an impact.  If you can’t draft and develop, it doesn’t matter what team building plan you take, it will fail.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, mjd1001 said:

JFC Noone ever lost their love for the game (fans included) because they were battling for the last playoff spot.  This ***** has been absolutely devastating to the fanbase of this team.  Hell, NHL viewership as a whole is sunk in this market.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

What have we learned?  What have I learned?  Well, If I'm going to ever get a rookie's jersey again, it's going to be ironically.  You know, like Satan.  I'm not taking a chance on any teen idol that the radio tells me is a franchise player.  They're a bunch of punks, these kids and those radio jockeys too.  You know how you become a franchise player?  It's by being good and playing a long time for the franchise.  One and the other together.  Not one or the other.  Not one and potentially the other.  Both you sons of a *****!  Both.  

I like the cut of your jib.

59 minutes ago, Ice Cold said:

What have we learned?  What have I learned?  Well, If I'm going to ever get a rookie's jersey again, it's going to be ironically.  You know, like Satan.  I'm not taking a chance on any teen idol that the radio tells me is a franchise player.  They're a bunch of punks, these kids and those radio jockeys too.  You know how you become a franchise player?  It's by being good and playing a long time for the franchise.  One and the other together.  Not one or the other.  Not one and potentially the other.  Both you sons of a *****!  Both.  

Welcome back.  And there is a lot of truth in what you say.

1 hour ago, Ice Cold said:

For every 1 of you (with that mindset, which I agree with) … there are 10 Sabres fans who spend money like a drunk sailor on jerseys. Gotta get the 3rd jersey, gotta get the 50th, gotta get the away, gotta get the home, gotta get the auctioned off one, gotta get the hot new player …

I personally would never, but I guess there’s worse things to blow money on. Just ask Evander… 

7 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

For every 1 of you (with that mindset, which I agree with) … there are 10 Sabres fans who spend money like a drunk sailor on jerseys. Gotta get the 3rd jersey, gotta get the 50th, gotta get the away, gotta get the home, gotta get the auctioned off one, gotta get the hot new player …

I personally would never, but I guess there’s worse things to blow money on. Just ask Evander… 

I hear ya and agree but most fans would think buying a jersey for a player that signed an 8 year deal at $10M would be a safe bet at least for that contract.  Then there's the guys that just decide to change their number.

Oh well, time to move on.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Digger said:

I hear ya and agree but most fans would think buying a jersey for a player that signed an 8 year deal at $10M would be a safe bet at least for that contract.  Then there's the guys that just decide to change their number.

Oh well, time to move on.

I personally would never think nor ever thought, that a contract of any length would mean any player would be a part of that team for a length of time. Too much can and usually does happen.
And as we all know … Sabres giving out the C is the kiss of death for that player. Who was the last Sabres player to be awarded the C, and stay the captain of the Sabres for more than 3 or 4 years before being traded? 😂

Was it Peca? 

5 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

I personally would never think nor ever thought, that a contract of any length would mean any player would be a part of that team for a length of time. Too much can and usually does happen.
And as we all know … Sabres giving out the C is the kiss of death for that player. Who was the last Sabres player to be awarded the C, and stay the captain of the Sabres for more than 3 or 4 years before being traded? 😂

Was it Peca? 

The answer to the question is basically only Perrault.

The Sabres have never had the same Captain for 5 full seasons.  Perrault became C after Gare was traded in season, was C for 4 full seasons, then retired in season.  So he had it for 4 full seasons and parts of two others.  That’s the longest.

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/BUF/captains.html

• Like (+1) 2

Don't change GMs every 3 years.

To rehash memory lane: DR's major failing at the end was drafting and keeping a pipeline going; it basically emptied with the comeback from the lockout. So when you buy the team you either can DR and get a GM to fix the drafting, or you give DR resources to resolve the drafting. Instead, GMDR got Ehrhoff (good) and Leino (bad) to keep the team afloat with little to no up-and-comers to support it. They built on a bad foundation. So then... then they opted to collapse it all. And they let GMDR start that process, too. Then, they started swapping out GMs and haven't stopped (maybe?). Every time you switch GMs you assume 3 years minimum to get things in order because they're going to build their version of a farm system and team.

So next time you buy a team... bring in the new GM that shares your vision of the team right then and there. And then stick with the GM for 5-7 years.

18 hours ago, Weave said:

I like the cut of your jib.

Is that your jib or are you just happy to see me?

15 hours ago, DarthEbriate said:

Don't change GMs every 3 years.

This mistake isn't firing the GM in Year 3, it's hiring the wrong one in Year 0.  I truly hope the Pegulas failed to execute that mistake properly this time.

Edited by The Ghost of Yuri
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.