Friedman Interviews Jack Eichel

Brawndo

23 minutes ago, SDS said:

He didn’t choose to rebuild in 2020, he chose to rebuild in 2021.

I think he wanted to rebuild in 2020 but as a new hire he didn't want to make waves... not yet.  The Pegulas still had faith in Krueger and he knew he couldn't win that battle.  He put in an honest effort to bring in Krueger's desired pieces and tried to do it Krueger's way.  But he used to losing streak to finally convince the Pegulas that it was time to rebuild.

26 minutes ago, irregularly irregular said:

Interesting stuff. Shed a brighter light on what really happened over the past year or so. 

What jumped out at me the second I saw the thread title was that Friedman got paid by being the first to interview Jack after the trade was announced. Those of you questioning were all those rumors were coming from should ask Pat Brisson how many times in the past couple months he happened to have a nonchalant chat with his old buddy. Friedman has been carrying lots of water as of late. 

While I agree with your point, this wasn't designed to be "1st interview after the trade" it was (right from Friedman's mouth) scheduled before the trade and was designed to be "interview to help force trade."

23 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

At this point, all we can hope for is A) Adams is set up for success with a minimum of interference from these owners and B) he uses that and makes solid hockey decisions to rebuild fast.  

I think Adams has a rapport with the Pegulas, and a level of trust, that GMTM and JBot never had.  I get the sense that he can explain hockey moves to them in a way that makes sense and that he knows how to participate in a give and take with them to eventually get what he wants.  I think he doesn't confront them head on but rather works with them over time to get their agreement and backing on his strategy for building the team.  I get the sense that XGMTM and JBot didn't have that same level of communication and trust that Adams enjoys.

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Don't really understand this bit. Eichel told us, straight up, the reason he wanted out. Isn't that rather candid, in general? How often do we see hockey players do that? It seems to be a rather underplayed aspect of this all, today. I admire the honesty. He seemed to cut directly to the point more quickly than Adams has over the last few months, not that I blame him. Remarkably candid, I'd call his statements. Why would he say he'd stay, if he got the surgery? Wouldn't that belittled what he said about the reason he wanted out? He's being honest. I took his comment at face value - he can't predict how things may have possibly changed so he said "I don't know". 

I’m happy Eichel was candid, I’m happy he’ll get the surgery he wants but he wasn’t going to get any benefit of the doubt in medical care when he’s already told you he’s gone. 

Why would the Sabres assume the risk of his surgery if we have no chance to actually benefit from it directly but only potentially get screwed or draw neutral. It would be like buying a lottery ticket where you can either get $1 or -$100. Since a fusion was still a legitimate option and they couldn’t literally prevent the ADR operation; they played cold and calculating with him. Eichel had effectively made himself a mercenary instead of a Sabre and the team decided to treat it as such.

• Like (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m happy Eichel was candid, I’m happy he’ll get the surgery he wants but he wasn’t going to get any benefit of the doubt in medical care when he’s already told you he’s gone. 

Why would the Sabres assume the risk of his surgery if we have no chance to actually benefit from it directly but only potentially get screwed or draw neutral. It would be like buying a lottery ticket where you can either get $1 or -$100. Since a fusion was still a legitimate option and they couldn’t literally prevent the ADR operation; they played cold and calculating with him. Eichel had effectively made himself a mercenary instead of a Sabre and the team decided to treat it as such.

lol no we don't need to do this

I may have misinterpreted your post actually, looking at it again. I thought you were implying you were disappointed he didn't say he'd commit to staying if he got the surgery he wanted? 

Could have misread that though 

Just now, Thorny said:

lol no we don't need to do this

I may have misinterpreted your post actually, looking at it again. I thought you were implying you were disappointed he didn't say he'd commit to staying if he got the surgery he wanted? 

Could have misread that though 

Yeah I was meaning in the past tense not that we should of forced him to stay in return for the ADR. More that I was disappointed he wasn’t even willing to stay even prior to the whole surgery fiasco.

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

I think Adams has a rapport with the Pegulas, and a level of trust, that GMTM and JBot never had.  I get the sense that he can explain hockey moves to them in a way that makes sense and that he knows how to participate in a give and take with them to eventually get what he wants.  I think he doesn't confront them head on but rather works with them over time to get their agreement and backing on his strategy for building the team.  I get the sense that XGMTM and JBot didn't have that same level of communication and trust that Adams enjoys.

Perhaps, and obviously the relationship has more foundation than his 2 predecessors.  But each GM was at a different stage upon being hired. 

Adams' tenure was first overshadowed by Krueger's presence.  Now out from under that weight, he's deconstructing a roster and rebuilding a porous minor league system.  I'm concerned if the team doesn't win that fans remain away how impatient the Pegula's get.    

Just now, SabresVet said:

Perhaps, and obviously the relationship has more foundation than his 2 predecessors.  But each GM was at a different stage upon being hired. 

Adams' tenure was first overshadowed by Krueger's presence.  Now out from under that weight, he's deconstructing a roster and rebuilding a porous minor league system.  I'm concerned if the team doesn't win that fans remain away how impatient the Pegula's get.    

If the Pegulas don't realize their rushing, short sided, stupidity is the reason we're here, then all hopes already lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SabresVet said:

If Adams is smart enough that this is worth worrying about, ie, we want the Pegula's to stick with the plan, then he should be smart enough to be honest with them about how long this should realistically take, right? I can't imagine how they could possibly sign off on the plan without being understanding of the near-term financial implications. Adams must have given a time frame they were ok with - or they are OK with indefinite. 

I guess they could get "cold feet" half way through, but I'd consider that unlikely because as mentioned I'd be surprised if Adams didn't attempt to give an honest timeline. He'd know the plan needs time and he'd be smart enough, if he's concocting a smart plan, to tell the Pegulas it needs time, upfront. 

How long they should be asking the fans to support a team that doesn't win (if they don't win) is more of a complicated question, but they may not even be asking it. 

Edited by Thorny

2 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If the Pegulas don't realize their rushing, short sided, stupidity is the reason we're here, then all hopes already lost. 

Definitely.  It's impossible in this era of pro sports for a GM or HC to succeed with meddling owners.

Them seeing about 40% of the building full is not going to sit well for long.  There's a point where the financial state of the team may get them edgy and lead to knee-jerk reactions...like calling up kids from Rochester before they're ready.  

We know the Tage extension was borne of the embarrassment from the ROR trade.  I'd hate to see kids like Quinn, Peterka, and Krebs elevated before they're ready and throw Adams' development timeline out the window.  

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

If Adams is smart enough that this is worth worrying about, ie, we want the Pegula's to stick with the plan, then he should be smart enough to be honest with them about how long this should realistically take, right? I can't imagine how they could possibly sign off on the plan without being understanding of the near-term financial implications. Adams must have given a time frame they were ok with - or they are OK with indefinite. 

I guess they could get "cold feet" half way through, but I'd consider that unlikely because as mentioned I'd be surprised if Adams didn't attempt to give an honest timeline. He'd know the plan needs time and he'd be smart enough, if he's concocting a smart plan, to tell the Pegulas it needs time, upfront. 

How long they should be asking the fans to support a team that doesn't win (if they don't win) is more of a complicated question, but they may not even be asking it. 

I don't disagree, but owners do crazy things because they can.  

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

It's also interesting that he did indeed try to "go for it", at first, the Hall year. It was a complete fail of a season. 

Did it fail because Adams struggled with fielding a team that can win, so he decided to, again, go with what he originally wanted, a long rebuild, rather than trusting his abilities to get it right?

Or, did he realize the team HAD to be built "the long way", and, to his credit, moved things in that direction appropriately? 

Shall see. 

It was a disaster season because RK is not an NHL coach, Eichel was hurt all season, we stayed with Hutton and no goaltending after Linus, Hall is a role player that did not elevate the team, and no one got better under RK.  

Adams attempted to patch it up rather than rebuild, but everyone knows a full rebuild was needed, again.   

Jack was not up for another one and neither was Sam.  

1 minute ago, Pimlach said:

It was a disaster season because RK is not an NHL coach, Eichel was hurt all season, we stayed with Hutton and no goaltending after Linus, Hall is a role player that did not elevate the team, and no one got better under RK.  

Adams attempted to patch it up rather than rebuild, but everyone knows a full rebuild was needed, again.   

Jack was not up for another one and neither was Sam.  

Makes sense. Adams seems to be doing a good job with the fundamentals of an early stage rebuild, we just need to hope he does better at assembling a "win now" team when it comes time, than he did the last time. Now that he has the backing of his "own" foundation behind it

Edited by Thorny

I think it's pretty clear certain people spin events for their own narrative and history gets rewritten. 

Eichel didn't want to be part of a rebuild, wanted out, this is obvious. But in terms of a planned rebuild that's not exactly what happened is it? Signing Skinner was a mistake, but after his big season with Jack, the plan was here's your big threesome. Signing Hall didn't work at all, but that's not a rebuild either. Hall crapping out was probably what tipped the ownership into the rebuild and different direction idea in the first place. Risto was unhappy for years. Reinhart clearly decided signing long term was out. A rebuild was a necessity as a result. 

It got stripped down, it got cleaned out, and now we added pieces and we have added numerous picks and the plan now works if we start to draft well. The attitude is right, the team concept is right, the seeds are planted, let's see if it grows. 

Bye bye Jack. You didn't say a single thing that made me wish you were still a Sabre. Your photoshop skills are very good though. I see your injury time has been well spent. 

Eichel for a moment thought he was going to Colorado. Crazy. 

Full interview just played on SN. Encourage everyone to watch - lots of interesting stuff. 

Eichel spoke pretty candidly about how important his particular surgery was to him. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

I think the evidence points to their having learned their lesson. In spite of the fans staying away in droves, there is no sign of a knee-jerk reaction to fix it. They seem to be fully onboard with the commitment to a rebuild around good drafting, good development, good coaching, and patient team building.

Who knows how it will all turn out, but it looks like they’re willing to wait and see.

9 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I think the evidence points to their having learned their lesson. In spite of the fans staying away in droves, there is no sign of a knee-jerk reaction to fix it. They seem to be fully onboard with the commitment to a rebuild around good drafting, good development, good coaching, and patient team building.

Who knows how it will all turn out, but it looks like they’re willing to wait and see.

I don't think this is lesson learned evidence at all.  There was no other available path to improvement. Veteran players lose their love of the game upon finding out they are going to Buffalo.

Unless you are from here.

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

I don't think this is lesson learned evidence at all.  There was no other available path to improvement. Veteran players lose their love of the game upon finding out they are going to Buffalo.

Unless you are from here.

It’s an impossible question to answer, imo, because we won’t know definitively until they actually win, make the playoffs and contend.

The  lack of knee jerk moves lately, especially with the fans not coming to games, has me thinking they’re on the right track. So do the last two drafts. It ain’t much evidence and I’m not convinced yet, but it’s at least something for now. 

I fully understand that some need to see plenty more before giving an ounce of credit. And that’s on Pegula’s for their dismal track record to date. Perfectly reasonable. 

3 minutes ago, Skibum said:

Nice interview, but he didn't answer the question. Things went sideways long before he asked to be traded in 2020. I'd like to know what he has to say about why his team was so talented, yet so terrible for his entire six year tenure. 

Great assembly of talent. Lousy construction of a team. I think KA and Co. appreciate what it takes more than any of their predecessors. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

I wouldn't worry about the fans. Once the Bills are done things will pick up. They have to keep putting out the effort.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.