Friedman Interviews Jack Eichel

Brawndo

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dominik Hasek demanded to be traded and wanted to orchestrate the trade to the team he wanted and wanted to ensure the Sabres did NOT get a big return to ensure that the team that Dom was going to was going to be a Cup contender.

Eichel wanted to have surgery that has never been performed on a NHL player EVER to ultimately HELP the team he still wanted to leave,  to get Buffalo a better return so he can still help he team he wanted to leave.

Just marinate on this for a bit.

Marinate on this: Jack couldn’t hold Hasek’s jock and likely never will. Hasek battled with his team for years, elevated his team, and did so much for the community. While Jack has done some nice stuff in the community, he’ll never accomplish what Hasek did on the ice.

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, RangerDave said:

The best we can hope for is that Eichel helps the Golden Knights win and the players we have and will get in the trade help us win.

I am rooting for the Sabres to beat LV in  the Stanly Cup finals 4 games to 3 in a couple of years.

Me too.

But I don’t want the GK to win. I want them battling for the playoffs, but not making it. That gives us a nice pick in the 10-15 range.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Well they say in most cases the truth is in the middle so I suppose we will never 100 percent know.

All I know is it seems because of a fluky decent start for the Sabres some fans have lost sight of the true cancer. Ownership. They still are a #@#@ stain in my eyes and have MUCH to prove to change that fact.

I choose not to bother myself with ownership. They change once or twice in a lifetime. I have more control of the sun rising in the morning when I do who owns a professional sports team.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, RangerDave said:

The sad fact is that we were not a winning team with Eichel these last five years.

I don't believe we would have been a winning team the next five years with Eichel.  I hope a change of scenery allows him to fulfill his potential that he would never reach here.

The best we can hope for is that Eichel helps the Golden Knights win and the players we have and will get in the trade help us win.

I am rooting for the Sabres to beat LV in  the Stanly Cup finals 4 games to 3 in a couple of years.

The even MORE sad fact is we haven’t been a winning team since the Pegulas took over as owners. What’s it been 10, 11 years so far? Don’t you kind of think that’s even a bigger deal here? Amazing how people are so quick to blame everything on Eichel yet the far bigger problem with this franchise is still here overseeing everything. Is it still going to be Eichel’s fault 3 years or more from now if we haven’t made the playoffs between 2022 and beyond? 

Edited by Billznut

4 hours ago, Billznut said:

The even MORE sad fact is we haven’t been a winning team since the Pegulas took over as owners. What’s it been 10, 11 years so far? Don’t you kind of think that’s even a bigger deal here? Amazing how people are so quick to blame everything on Eichel yet the far bigger problem with this franchise is still here overseeing everything. Is it still going to be Eichel’s fault 3 years or more from now if we haven’t made the playoffs between 2022 and beyond? 

I don't blame Eichel for all of our woes.  And the Pegulas surely have made many mistakes that have led us to where we are.

However, I think this trade had to happen.  It is the best for both sides.  Eichel is a very gifted player, but the lack of success here has hampered his development into the top player that he can be under better circumstances.  He does not deal with adversity well.  Hopefully, the LVGK can provide the right scene for Eichel to be happy and successful.

The Pegulas needed to remove the players that are unhappy, as that infects the entire team and leads to not achieving everyone's top potential.  We need team-first players who root for each other.  We also need leaders who can help smooth over the rough patches.

Of course, the biggest thing that winning teams need to have is good management, including coaching.  We have not had that in the Pegulas time and for that they are solely to blame.  I am hopeful that Kevin Adams, although raw, is looking at how Beane built a winner with the Bills.  Bring in skilled, but maybe not top tier, players who play the game hard no matter the circumstances.  Trust the process.  I am also hopeful that Don Granato is the right coach at the right time to take a bunch of young players and coach them up into skilled players who play hard.

I've had hope for the Sabres before and have been disappointed, but I see the pieces coming together now for a good team in the near future.

🤞

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, LGR4GM said:

So Friedman gets into from Brisson. I think that's my conclusion from the last 48 hours. 

In his defense he also said KA wasn’t leaking at all.  He went with the only source he had and the story might have been more complete if the other side offered info.

JFC whats the guy supposed to do, lay down and not do what he’s paid to do?

4 minutes ago, Weave said:

In his defense he also said KA wasn’t leaking at all.  He went with the only source he had and the story might have been more complete if the other side offered info.

He doesn't have to be a schill for the agent. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Weave said:

Maybe if he did that, he would’ve gotten the information he wanted? 😬

1 hour ago, K-9 said:

He does if he wants to keep getting info to break stories. 

And getting paid.  Which is why he does this.

FFS, I think the thing that is going to hasten our downfall as a society is the mistrust of journalism that has been fostered over the last decade.  If I don't like what they've reported, they are liars and shills. 🤥

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Weave said:

And getting paid.  Which is why he does this.

FFS, I think the thing that is going to hasten our downfall as a society is the mistrust of journalism that has been fostered over the last decade.  If I don't like what they've reported, they are liars and shills. 🤥

I don’t mistrust journalism at all. I just happen to recognize good journalism for what it is and what it must contain to satisfy my trust in it, including impartiality, lest it be more editorial vs. actual reporting. Friedman, in his quest for clicks and the need to satisfy his source to keep material coming, has fallen far short of the mark throughout the entire Eichel saga. 

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, K-9 said:

I don’t mistrust journalism at all. I just happen to recognize good journalism for what it is and what it must contain to satisfy my trust in it, including impartiality, lest it be more editorial vs. actual reporting. Friedman, in his quest for clicks and the need to satisfy his source to keep material coming, has fallen far short of the mark throughout the entire Eichel saga. 

Or he was reporting the only information he had.

This is exactly the point I am making.  You assume an agenda where it may be the only info he was getting.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Weave said:

Or he was reporting the only information he had.

This is exactly the point I am making.  You assume an agenda where it may be the only info he was getting.

Honestly, journalists have earned this reputation as not necessarily caring about the truth as much as getting there first and they dont care if their being incorrect hurts people

I haven't considered journalists an honorable profession in a very lomg time 

Edited by miles
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, miles said:

Honestly, journalists have earned this reputation as not necessarily caring about the truth as much as getting there first and they dont care if their being incorrect hurts people

I haven't considered journalists an honorable profession in a very lomg time 

I assume you got to this without any actual knowledge of the industry.

22 minutes ago, Weave said:Or he was reporting the only information he had.

Have you followed all of Friedman’s reporting on this since it began? Reasonable minds may disagree, but imo, he was clearly slanted the entire time and the icing on the cake was his article with Prusmack in late July. At the very least, had he could have tried to contact Dr. Cappuccino, the Sabres consulting neurosurgeon and leader in the field of disc replacement surgeries for a his opinion on the matter.  Feel free to consume his work all you like, but for my money, he is simply not an impartial reporter and that’s important to me. 

In your earlier post you raised the issue of how mistrust in journalism is leading to our demise as a society. If by society you mean our democracy, I quite agree. Perhaps we need to look at the downfall of journalism that led to that mistrust. And for that I’d start with the repeal of the fairness doctrine in the 80s and media ownership laws in this country shortly thereafter. Enacted post WWII, we completely forgot why they were passed in the first place. And it’s been harming us ever since.

I’ll step off my soapbox now. I’ve spent years researching that issue for various people so thanks for the opportunity to vent on the subject a bit. 

Of course I followed it.  They were discussed here ad nauseum.  

Again, you contribute it to malfeasance.  I contribute it to sources.  

It is so much easier to discredit what we don’t like as immoral behavior when more than likely there is more nuance to the story.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Weave said:

Of course I followed it.  They were discussed here ad nauseum.  

Again, you contribute it to malfeasance.  I contribute it to sources.  

It is so much easier to discredit what we don’t like as immoral behavior when more than likely there is more nuance to the story.

More nuance? Like a reporter not taking the opportunity to get a quote from the Sabres’ consulting neurosurgeon and recognized leader in the field on the matter? That kind of nuance? Malfeasance is only one thing I attribute that to. Laziness and not wanting to piss off his source and jeopardize future leads are two more. 

Imo, credibility is the number one MUST HAVE for a reporter and Friedman will have me questioning his from here in out as a result of how he’s handled the Eichel story since it began. 

Just now, dudacek said:

Do you know that Friedman failed to reach out to the Sabres and/or Cappucino for their take on ADR?

Any reporter worth his salt would have would have mentioned the attempt to contact Cappuccino and Cappuccino’s declining to comment if he had done so. That’s a compelling reason to think Friedman did not do that. 

Now I have not listened to the podcast from July and if Friedman did say he make the attempt, then I’m out of line and owe him an apology. But in any printed synopsis of his conversation with Dr. Prusmack, I haven’t seen any mention of attempting to get Dr. Cappuccino’s opinion. And there’s only one way for me to take that. 

3 hours ago, K-9 said:

Any reporter worth his salt would have would have mentioned the attempt to contact Cappuccino and Cappuccino’s declining to comment if he had done so. That’s a compelling reason to think Friedman did not do that. 

Now I have not listened to the podcast from July and if Friedman did say he make the attempt, then I’m out of line and owe him an apology. But in any printed synopsis of his conversation with Dr. Prusmack, I haven’t seen any mention of attempting to get Dr. Cappuccino’s opinion. And there’s only one way for me to take that. 

Again, you are assuming a character flaw where there may be a very neutral reason.  He’s not obligated to tell us who he tried and didn’t try to contact.  Why assume the worst case here?

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Weave said:

Again, you are assuming a character flaw where there may be a very neutral reason.  He’s not obligated to tell us who he tried and didn’t try to contact.  Why assume the worst case here?

No, I’m not assuming a character flaw. I’m stating emphatically that he has shown himself to be a lousy reporter in the way he reported on the Eichel story. I assume he didn’t try to contact Dr. Cappuccino because he made no mention that attempts were made to do so. A good reporter obligates himself to both sides of a story to better present facts to his consumers. My assumption of the “worst case” as you put it is well founded here. 

I’m grateful that Friedman isn’t tasked with reporting on things that actually matter to our daily lives in this world. 

13 minutes ago, K-9 said:

No, I’m not assuming a character flaw. I’m stating emphatically that he has shown himself to be a lousy reporter in the way he reported on the Eichel story. I assume he didn’t try to contact Dr. Cappuccino because he made no mention that attempts were made to do so. A good reporter obligates himself to both sides of a story to better present facts to his consumers. My assumption of the “worst case” as you put it is well founded here. 

I’m grateful that Friedman isn’t tasked with reporting on things that actually matter to our daily lives in this world. 

It is unreasonable for you to expect a reporter to report to you the sources he wasn’t able to use.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.