Friedman Interviews Jack Eichel

Brawndo

6 hours ago, irregularly irregular said:

Interesting stuff. Shed a brighter light on what really happened over the past year or so. 

What jumped out at me the second I saw the thread title was that Friedman got paid by being the first to interview Jack after the trade was announced. Those of you questioning were all those rumors were coming from should ask Pat Brisson how many times in the past couple months he happened to have a nonchalant chat with his old buddy. Friedman has been carrying lots of water as of late. 

5 hours ago, dudacek said:

While I agree with your point, this wasn't designed to be "1st interview after the trade" it was (right from Friedman's mouth) scheduled before the trade and was designed to be "interview to help force trade."

Understood. See highlighted area for clarification.

7 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Didn’t He tell the Sabres He Did Not want to stick around for a rebuild during the Summer of 2020, way before He needed surgery in His Interview with Friedman earlier in the day? 

Just come back to me baby. I promise I won’t do it again.

Go pound sand Jack.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Didn’t He tell the Sabres He Did Not want to stick around for a rebuild during the Summer of 2020, way before He needed surgery in His Interview with Friedman earlier in the day? 

All lot of people didn’t know that indeed, including Eichel apparently, who said he told the Sabres a year ago that he didn’t want to do a rebuild and wanted to be traded. 

• Haha (+1) 2

15 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

I’m happy Eichel was candid, I’m happy he’ll get the surgery he wants but he wasn’t going to get any benefit of the doubt in medical care when he’s already told you he’s gone. 

Why would the Sabres assume the risk of his surgery if we have no chance to actually benefit from it directly but only potentially get screwed or draw neutral. It would be like buying a lottery ticket where you can either get $1 or -$100. Since a fusion was still a legitimate option and they couldn’t literally prevent the ADR operation; they played cold and calculating with him. Eichel had effectively made himself a mercenary instead of a Sabre and the team decided to treat it as such.

Exactly.

10 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He's probably referring to playing here to up his value again pre-trade

Just now, Huckleberry said:

He checked out long before his injury that is clear now.  But the media portraying like its sabres management that is the evil in all of this.

He didn't check out though. He had an mvp level season, then he played 17 games, willingly with not only a bad neck but a busted rib. 

Eichel is his interview gave Kevyn Adams credit, by name, for "going for it" last year, after Jack mentioned he wasn't on board for another rebuild. The fact he attempted to play through multiple injuries tells me both his answer and effort were in good faith. 

• Thanks (+1) 1

4 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

In a vacuum you let him play; but from a team standpoint and a risk-reward approach you wouldn't

I agree and wouldn’t have let him play here again. The damage was done, the team reformed, new leadership in the room. The last thing Granato and the players needed was Jack to come back and use the Sabres as his “conditioning assignment” style exhibitions. A critical component of what Meatballs et al are trying to implement, especially in a youth movement, is the idea that you have each other’s backs and play for the guy next to you. Can’t do that with guys who’ve already checked out. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 hours ago, Brawndo said:

He clarified in the Spittin Chiclets he would come back for Buffalo just to help facilitate a trade by showing teams he was healthy.  I couldn’t make it through the interview. The kid is hard to listen too

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Peters breaking more news, this time about Eichels attitude in the locker room at 37:42. Rivet and Gios face confirm the sentiment. 

I don’t like to bash guys, especially when I recognize that I don’t know these people, but I have to agree with you here.  Peters said some pretty damning things about Eichel as a teammate off the ice, and neither Rivet nor Gionta spoke in opposition.  In fact they nodded along and Rivet even questioned whether Eichel had “ever REALLY been a Captain”.

Dominik Hasek demanded to be traded and wanted to orchestrate the trade to the team he wanted and wanted to ensure the Sabres did NOT get a big return to ensure that the team that Dom was going to was going to be a Cup contender.

Eichel wanted to have surgery that has never been performed on a NHL player EVER to ultimately HELP the team he still wanted to leave,  to get Buffalo a better return so he can still help he team he wanted to leave.

Just marinate on this for a bit.

Edited by Ruff Around The Edges
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

Peters breaking more news, this time about Eichels attitude in the locker room at 37:42. Rivet and Gios face confirm the sentiment. 

Sort of uncomfortable when AP says the Sabres put bandaid on top of bandaid on the team with Gionta sitting there. Lol

11 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t like to bash guys, especially when I recognize that I don’t know these people, but I have to agree with you here.  Peters said some pretty damning things about Eichel as a teammate off the ice, and neither Rivet nor Gionta spoke in opposition.  In fact they nodded along and Rivet even questioned whether Eichel had “ever REALLY been a Captain”.

I've always questioned the wisdom of giving a person the captaincy simply because of their talent. A player can have outstanding talent bring wins to a team and can be an incredible asset without being a leader.  Not a knock to the player, but there are simply better people who fit into the role as team leader. An incredible talent can develop into a captain, but I don't like it when they are thrust into that position at a young age.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dominik Hasek demanded to be traded and wanted to orchestrate the trade to the team he wanted and wanted to ensure the Sabres did NOT get a big return to ensure that the team that Dom was going to was going to be a Cup contender.

Eichel wanted to have surgery to HELP the team he still wanted to leave, get a better return for them so it helped the team he wanted to leave.

Just marinate on this for a bit.

Why should I believe that?

7 minutes ago, Curt said:

Gionta expressed similar thoughts on a podcast over the summer. Had interesting things to say in general about how during his time as captain over the two years he played with Eichel, his leadership was rejected in favor of examples by others in the room; that Eichel chose the Kanes and Bogosians to gravitate towards instead. Most telling to me was his mentioning of how you can tell about character by the way people treat other people around the building. He didn’t name names, but said some guys were total pricks towards people. He went on to say that KA had years to observe this behavior around the building as well and that it most likely informed his views about several players along the way. 

1 hour ago, SHAAAUGHT!!! said:

He clarified in the Spittin Chiclets he would come back for Buffalo just to help facilitate a trade by showing teams he was healthy.  I couldn’t make it through the interview. The kid is hard to listen too

Never saw that show before.  Was surprised by the dropping of the F Bombs, I don’t know why I was surprised - you can do almost anything on the internet.  

A couple of average ex NHL players stroking Jack, but you get the brotherhood and vibe between players.  

Jack would have played for us after the surgery to prove he was healthy. —— awkward !  

Jack didn’t say anything - but the pause and the smirk sure did on the question about the “people above Adams” being adamant about not retaining salary, that says something about the Pegula’s reputation in the NHL.   

Edited by Pimlach

6 minutes ago, SDS said:

Why should I believe that?

Well they say in most cases the truth is in the middle so I suppose we will never 100 percent know.

All I know is it seems because of a fluky decent start for the Sabres some fans have lost sight of the true cancer. Ownership. They still are a #@#@ stain in my eyes and have MUCH to prove to change that fact.

• Like (+1) 3

The sad fact is that we were not a winning team with Eichel these last five years.

I don't believe we would have been a winning team the next five years with Eichel.  I hope a change of scenery allows him to fulfill his potential that he would never reach here.

The best we can hope for is that Eichel helps the Golden Knights win and the players we have and will get in the trade help us win.

I am rooting for the Sabres to beat LV in  the Stanly Cup finals 4 games to 3 in a couple of years.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.