GDT - Sabres @ Seattle - 10:00 PM EDT

Sabres Fan in NS

11 minutes ago, Pimlach said:

Keeping the team up and focused was always the challenge.  Yesterday Kyle and Zemgus both made some plays  Granato needs them to keep it up and we need a big game from Anderson versus Detroit.  We can’t let the losses pile higher   

Granato has the hardest coaching job in the league.  Limited talent, little experience, no fans, history of losing, and the best players bailed.  I hope he can convince them to get back to what was working.  

I agree with you that Granato was taking on a big challenge when he pursued the job and accepted it. However, Granato knew exactly what he was getting into. He was aware in advance that Jack and other primary players were going to be traded. And he was well aware that he was taking over a rebuilding team. What makes the coaching task even more challenging is that when you take over a thin roster there is little margin to  absorb setbacks. In a long and grinding season you will face injuries depleting your roster when you have little reinforcement behind you. You already can see the toll it is taking with the loss of Mitts, Joki and to a lesser extent Samuelsson. 

His challenge is to keep the players' spirits up and playing hard regardless of the situation. Granato excels as much in understanding the psychology of the players than he does the strategy of the game. He is going to have to maintain some degree of survivability until the upcoming batch of prospect players are ready to move up the ranks. As you pointed out that is going to be a major challenge. It is going to take time to turn that corner. 

16 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did anyone catch Don G post game? The guy has a knack for boiling things down to the root. Especially with reporters basically asking the same question ten different ways.

Yeah that was good. He’s a good coach. But it’s going to be 3 years of hard work before we are competitive. This is a complete and total rebuild as much as they don’t want to admit it. 

19 minutes ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Yeah that was good. He’s a good coach. But it’s going to be 3 years of hard work before we are competitive. This is a complete and total rebuild as much as they don’t want to admit it. 

This slide pretty much started with this road trip. From the 2nd period of the Kings game to last night. Hopefully most of it is just being tired. 

But it's obvious that teams are attacking what was working for us before. We were breaking out with confidence. Now we come to a dead stop in our zone because we don't know what to do. (That phantom pressure DG is referring to.) If you can identify a problem you have a better chance of correcting it.

Don has his work cut out for him.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Did anyone catch Don G post game? The guy has a knack for boiling things down to the root. Especially with reporters basically asking the same question ten different ways.

Interesting comments by DG.  He is essentially saying the team is not responding correctly to pressure, and is in fact adding to it with more perceived pressure.  He likened that game to a playoff game because of the atmosphere in the arena.  Wow.  This could be a very fragile group if that is true.  

He needs to get them to forget the pressure and let loose and have some fun.  It’s a game after all.   

5 minutes ago, Indabuff said:

This reminds me of when Carpenter the kicker smashed his schonz spiking his helmet.  Classic.  

this is the best one IMO.

Kerwyn Bell. "Sacks" himself during the process lmao

The replay, in clip is the best view of it 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Gatorman0519 said:

No no, it is a tank. They are tanking which doesn't work because that is what I have been told for 5 years. Tanking doesn't work but they are about to tank again so we should expect it not to work again. 

Yes I am being sarcastic. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

No no, it is a tank. They are tanking which doesn't work because that is what I have been told for 5 years. Tanking doesn't work but they are about to tank again so we should expect it not to work again. 

Yes I am being sarcastic. 

That's not what we've said and you know it. Tanks work when they work. They don't work way more often.

And selling all of your assets to lose on purpose certainly was never going to work.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Idk if he can fix it, but he can at least verbalize why it is broken. 

7 hours ago, Radar said:

This team is pretty much what we expected. What talent we have is prospects we hope develop. They are not there yet. Mostly kids still. The Kraken are not highly talented either but more experienced and high energy. Hopefully this is the rebuild that works and isn't aborted again.

I agree. 

The thing I think we are missing is some of that high energy. While that talent develops we need more of those guys and not just meh players like Bjork. I personally like Hayden in the line up and wish we had a crazy dude like Tanev. That guy pumps them up and the energy just rises. We don't have enough energy guys imo. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Expansion team with way more veteran presence than we have. Our rebuild looks much different.  By next year we are actually going to get even younger with Krebs, JJP, Quinn, Samuelsson, and Power all waiting in the wings.   

We don’t have that goalie ready yet either unless UPL starts to transform.  Levi and Portillo are a few years away.  

Last nights game showed that physical hockey is still a thing and our defense needs to get a lot stronger.  

Agreed. The similarity to me is the egalitarian nature of the roster. Neither is focused on a big name or a star. They have a slightly more defined top line, but most nights they roll them like we do. The big difference is the goaltending. They started there and we were what? willing to wait? I think starting with the goalie is smarter. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, KC Scouts said:

I’m tired of this team and their *****. We got what…6 games of good effort and then that’s it???  Looks like they’ve packed it in for the season. 72 more games of lackluster ahead of us.

Nah.  They'll play well tomorrow night.  Being on home ice & getting the matchups will help.

Hope they come back w/ Tokarski.  Anderson seemed a bit off in the last game especially on the 2 Hertl goals; can't let him run out of gas.

9 hours ago, That Aud Smell said:

I came here looking for an overview, some perspective on what was clearly a disappointing game. I scrolled through the last few pages ... finding none, I'll look forward to the Detroyat game.

If you'd told me at season's start that this team would be @deluca67 .500 after their first west coast road trip, I'd have taken that gladly. 

Even after being 5-1-1 at one point?  West coast trips shouldn't be any different than any other road trip these days.  4 hour charter flight isn't a big deal, anaheim and LA 30 miles from each other....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.