GDT: Sabres @ Sharks 11/2/2021, 10:30pm est

LGR4GM

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

It’s Cozens D3 year. In Couture’s D3 year he had 9 points in 25 NHL games.

It was a vintage Skinner performance tonight. Which is frustrating as hell, but I’ll certainly take over what we saw the past two years.

So next season, expect about 70 points, like Couture had?

Can I say that Tage has played better than his 5 points?

From a production standpoint he's led the team in posts hit and robbed by goalies. (That toe-to-stick-to-shot thing on the rush last night was stunning)

But what I like and have been surprised with most is the way he backchecks so hard and effectively, and the authority with which he is carrying the puck. Soft and a step behind mentally were his early hallmarks and he seems to have shaken off both labels.

He's essentially been handed the 1C role without getting 1st-line wingers and having never played the position. He hasn't shined — he will never be a 1C — but he has manned up and held his own.

7 minutes ago, klos1963 said:

So next season, expect about 70 points, like Couture had?

LOL, 56. But we can always dream.

Actually, Couture is a pretty good standard for a best-case scenario with Cozens.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 5

46 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Every game Dylan shows signs of how good he can be, and how young he is. I'm still thinking it's too early for the minors, but have to admit he is trending that way.

I'd give him a game in the pressbox with a coach to discuss what they want him to do with live game action to illustrate.

1 hour ago, nucci said:

back to the basics is such a cliche. What does that mean? Not really blaming Cozens personally...it's just like you said. The team put him in this position. Playing a role he's not ready for shows a bad organization

It means simplify the game and play like they did at the start.  Speed, aggressive, layers … the things they did well for Granato.  

1 hour ago, pastajoe said:

So I made the right call to go to bed after the 2nd period. 🤔

If you only want to watch wins then yes.  

I did not see any quitting.  They Sabres kept working and got a late goal.  I did see three good centers dominate ours.  I see us giving up the blue line to easily and the defense standing around letting the play come to them.   

Yes, Dahlin had a tough game and got owned by Hertl on a goal.  I don’t like him paired with Butcher. I don’t like anyone paired with Butcher for that matter.  

The Seattle game will tell us a lot. 

• Like (+1) 2

32 minutes ago, dudacek said:

From a production standpoint he's led the team in posts hit and robbed by goalies. (That toe-to-stick-to-shot thing on the rush last night was stunning)

But what I like and have been surprised with most is the way he backchecks so hard and effectively, and the authority with which he is carrying the puck. Soft and a step behind mentally were his early hallmarks and he seems to have shaken off both labels.

He's essentially been handed the 1C role without getting 1st-line wingers and having never played the position. He hasn't shined — he will never be a 1C — but he has manned up and held his own.

He has Centered a line with if you include Skinner's 2Gs last night has 23 points in 9 games and is a +13 in +/- in those games. If that is the team's 3rd line moving forward, they could do worse. It may be time to give this guy some credit for a nice year so far. A little puck luck and his point total would be up also. 

Did anybody really expect this to be anything but a transitional/development year for the team?? If you did you thought wrong. Mitts and Olofsson aren't going to save this team when they get back but it will up the forward talent level. The defense also has been giving great effort but until Samuelsson and Power join the team they have too many guys who can't move guys from in front of the net which I think is going to hurt them going forward and besides talent level is their biggest weakness.

• Like (+1) 4

10 minutes ago, jsb said:

He has Centered a line with if you include Skinner's 2Gs last night has 23 points in 9 games and is a +13 in +/- in those games. If that is the team's 3rd line moving forward, they could do worse. It may be time to give this guy some credit for a nice year so far. A little puck luck and his point total would be up also. 

Did anybody really expect this to be anything but a transitional/development year for the team?? If you did you thought wrong. Mitts and Olofsson aren't going to save this team when they get back but it will up the forward talent level. The defense also has been giving great effort but until Samuelsson and Power join the team they have too many guys who can't move guys from in front of the net which I think is going to hurt them going forward and besides talent level is their biggest weakness.

Spot on.  Samuelsson should play in Rochester when healthy and work his way up.  Power might make the team next year, I hope so.  We need some bigger guys to compliment players like Dahlin, Joker, and Bryson.  

3 hours ago, The Ghost of Yuri said:

That can't happen until Mitts is back unfortunately.

What this really comes down to is that Murray and Hayden are much worse than Mitts and Olofsson.  If they're rotating in for other JAGs they might be fine, but when you take the cream off the top you can't replace it with just anything.

Sure it can. Time to accept the reality that this is a tank team. 

Cozens needs to go to Rochester before we ruin him entirely. 

58 minutes ago, jsb said:

Are we talking about Cozens Skinner Hinostroza? 

Those 3 have a combined 14 points in the 9 games and are a collective -5. 

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

I quoted @dudacek about Thompson, so I was talking about him

Ah thanks. Guess I’m confused cause the numbers still don’t line up 

You said Skinner and I had thought Cozens was his C. 

Edit: ah he played with Thompson yesterday. Didn’t see the switch. 

Edited by Thorny

38 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The problem with Cozens is he has no sheltering and is thrusted into a 1C role due to injuries. Wait a week and he’s in a better situation. 

Cozens has not played anything close to a 1C role.

He has been behind both Thompson and Girgensons in ice time and match-ups.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Cozens has not played anything close to a 1C role.

He has been behind both Thompson and Girgensons in ice time and match-ups.

Ya. Basically Mittelstadt and Cozens were the two scoring Cs coming into camp, with Thompson switching over once they realized they needed more help there than they thought. I’d imagine when Casey gets back it’s him and now Thompson in those 2 centre roles. I don’t know if they’d want Cozens 4th in C usage so maybe he goes to wing 

2 hours ago, Pimlach said:

If you only want to watch wins then yes.  

I did not see any quitting.  They Sabres kept working and got a late goal.  I did see three good centers dominate ours.  I see us giving up the blue line to easily and the defense standing around letting the play come to them.   

Yes, Dahlin had a tough game and got owned by Hertl on a goal.  I don’t like him paired with Butcher. I don’t like anyone paired with Butcher for that matter.  

The Seattle game will tell us a lot. 

Why would I want to watch losses, especially after midnight.

This game further exposed the soft D. Too many offensive D who prefer to stick check than take the body or clear the screen. I hope Samuelsson can come up soon and provide some.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, pastajoe said:

Why would I want to watch losses, especially after midnight.

This game further exposed the soft D. Too many offensive D who prefer to stick check than take the body or clear the screen. I hope Samuelsson can come up soon and provide some.

Will Borgen still hasn’t suited up for the Kraken.  Sigh. 

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

It means simplify the game and play like they did at the start.  Speed, aggressive, layers … the things they did well for Granato.  

Granato's system may be significantly improved over Krueger's, but the lack of talent is becoming obvious.

Opponents will continue to adapt, so just simplifying their scheme won't work.  And besides, I would expect that this group playing together ~6 weeks would be able to handle more.  

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, dudacek said:

LOL, 56. But we can always dream.

Actually, Couture is a pretty good standard for a best-case scenario with Cozens.

It would be tremendous if Cozens turns out as good as Couture, and they could both be Bills fans. I just don't see any resemblance now.

I think there was a glitch in the matrix.  PastaJoe triple posted.  I made a lousy funny.  Then my funny showed up before Pasta's post when I refreshed.

Swear to god it wasn't that I ate an edible or anything.

Not that there is anything wrong with that.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.