Eichel is changing Agents will be represented by Pat Brisson

Brawndo

2 hours ago, darksabre said:

Maybe the team they were trying to trade him to doesn't have a good working relationship with his agent? I could see other GM's wanting a player they are trading for to be represented by someone they trust.

Someone who wasn't trying to send him to New York?

1 hour ago, Norcal said:

Maybe he was sick of hearing how the NYR are his best option and to wait till the Sabres cave and trade him there for Drurys old hockey mitts.

I've always liked you

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Wonder if his agent was trying to deflate Eichel's value under the belief the Rangers could get Eichel for cheap. Guy is supposedly friends with Drury. 

And I've always liked you. It hurts when you don't read my posts more than you will ever know.

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

His son Brendan (is a vegas draft pick) also plays for the University of Michigan with Mr. Owen Power. 

Mr. Owen Power who also is a client of Mr. Brisson Sr? I'm pretty sure someone posted that somewhere?

• Haha (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

Agent contracts are not guaranteed.   Meaning if you fire your agent, that's it... they're cut off moving forward.     

That said, I'm not privy to the precise language of Fish's contract.   I've heard cases, notably with larger contracts, of agent buyout clauses.    Wether or not Jack had to pay him out, again depends on the language in the contract.

This sounds good and all, but I like my answer better.

😉

• Haha (+1) 1

A while back, in the context of Drury and an Eichel trade, I posted about the influence agents have and got mocked a bit for it.

Anyone not think images of Owen Power are burrowing into Kevyn Adams' brain every time he talks Eichel with Brisson?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

A while back, in the context of Drury and an Eichel trade, I posted about the influence agents have and got mocked a bit for it.

Anyone not think images of Owen Power are burrowing into Kevyn Adams' brain every time he talks Eichel with Brisson?

In what way? If you are suggesting Owen stays in school 3 more years, that literally will not happen. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

If you are suggesting Owen stays in school 3 more years, that literally will not happen. 

I agree.

I am suggesting that it is in Adams' best interest to stay on very good terms with Pat, just like it is my best interest to stay on good terms with my mother-in-law.

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 6

2 hours ago, Thorny said:

His entire future is at stake. I get railing on the emoji stuff (I guess) but changing agents is a "hissy fit"? 

Like I said, there isn't a single thing that could happen that couldn't be fit into the "Jack is a baby" line of thinking if one wants it to enough 

The same goes for someone defending everything he does til the better end, following the Jack is never wrong narrative. It’s not convincing of course, but someone could see that in everything if they choose to.

I think the likely truth is that this is one of the only things Jack can actually do to change the direction of this process. I don’t believe any of the sides involved are happy about the situation. He can change agents and hope new messaging gets this moving in the direction he wants.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Painting it this way is pretty disingenuous. 

Why would Jack change agents? There’s only 1 reason, he’s not satisfied with the way the (non) trade has gone. He’s so dissatisfied, Jack believed this relation was irreparable. (Sound familiar?) Changing agents isn’t going to change the situation though. Jack has no leverage. Changing agents when the likely outcome isn’t likely going to be different is not reasonable thinking. This is panicking. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

How so?

2 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Why would Jack change agents? There’s only 1 reason, he’s not satisfied with the way the (non) trade has gone. He’s so dissatisfied, Jack believed this relation was irreparable. (Sound familiar?) Changing agents isn’t going to change the situation though. Jack has no leverage. Changing agents when the likely outcome isn’t likely going to be different is not reasonable thinking. This is panicking. 

Panicking makes it sound like what he's doing isn't rational or deliberate. But that's exactly what this is. His goals are unchanged, he's just making an adjustment to his team. It's not unlike any number of times that generals have been recalled from their commands during a war for failing to achieve an objective. It's not panic, it's just what you do if you're still looking for a successful result.

• Like (+1) 2

More than likely Fish felt he could bully KA into trading Eichel; possibly Fish was angling the whole Eichel to Rangers idea seeing as Fish has a solid connection with Drury and other former Rangers. Instead, Adams stood his ground and eventually Eichel became fed up with the whole situation and changed agents to a guy with a far wider list of contacts and far  more experience with facilitating trades and creating lasting relationships with GMs, teams, etc.

Id guess in the next couple weeks we will see Eichel get his surgery or get traded with a solid to above solid trade worked out. Brissom will play ball with Adams and help him secure his desired return perhaps in return to help resolve Eichel’s medical situation. 

Just wanted to add an agent’s job is to do his best for his client but an agent also has to manage his relationships around the league to facilitate improving his client’s outcome. Fish tried bullying a GM and effectively using scorched earth tactics to attempt and get Eichel trades but all it did was embolden Adams to dig his heels in. After this saga I highly doubt Buffalo will do much work with Fish and associates and I could even guess there will be a few other GMs leery of him after this fiasco. 

Edited by thewookie1
  • Like (+1) 8

6 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Panicking makes it sound like what he's doing isn't rational or deliberate. But that's exactly what this is. His goals are unchanged, he's just making an adjustment to his team. It's not unlike any number of times that generals have been recalled from their commands during a war for failing to achieve an objective. It's not panic, it's just what you do if you're still looking for a successful result.

I don’t see it as rational. It doesn’t change Jack’s injury, nor does it change what other GMs are willing to trade for an injured player. It also doesn’t change the fact Jack is signed for another 5 years. He has no leverage, but to sit. The market has spoken - how is changing agents going to alter this? I have explained why it was irrational. Now, tell me: how was Jack’s decision rational?

Edited by kas23

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

I don’t see it as rational. It doesn’t change Jack’s injury, nor does it change what other GMs are willing to trade for an injured player. The market has spoken - how is changing agents going to alter this? I have explained why it was irrational. Now, tell me: how was Jack’s decision rational?

Honestly I wouldn’t even bother debating this, the logic is on your side. It’s a fair assumption based on information and belief. Some people just don’t want to see Jack for who he is.

• Haha (+1) 1

Eichel's new agent, Pat Brisson, represented Matt Duchene during the ugly and portracted negotiations that led to his blockbuster trade.

Brisson is also a close friend (and former team mate) of  Luc Robaitaille, who's now president of the LA Kings (https://lakingsinsider.com/2009/11/09/brisson-has-seen-it-all/)

Gentlemen, start your speculation!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Not only did Fish fail to get Jack traded in time to have surgery and be ready for opening night, he muddied Jack's public image and turned this situation into a circus in the process.  He overplayed his hand and failed miserably.

Makes perfect sense to fire Fish and switch to arguably the most reputable agent in the game in Brisson.  Someone who already represents many of the game's elite talents, and someone who helped facilitate Duchene's trade in a similar situation.

I don't think this means a trade is more or less imminent, or that it means anything in regards to his recovery.  He gave the small town Boston agent a try, watched him fail, and has decided he needs higher caliber representation.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I don’t see it as rational. It doesn’t change Jack’s injury, nor does it change what other GMs are willing to trade for an injured player. It also doesn’t change the fact Jack is signed for another 5 years. He has no leverage, but to sit. The market has spoken - how is changing agents going to alter this? I have explained why it was irrational. Now, tell me: how was Jack’s decision rational?

Are you serious? How is it not rational? This is like arguing the lawyer you choose doesn't matter because the facts don't change lol. Why have an agent at all if the only things that matter in negotiations are the realities of the situation and not the people doing the negotiating.

as nfreeman is fond of saying: weak sauce!

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, kas23 said:

For starters, we don't actually know the status of Jack's injury at all. That is likely something that is still in flux.

I find it hard to believe that what GM's are willing to pay is a decided factor. If they have a reason to adjust their offers, they will do so. Adams, likewise, may find new cause to adjust his ask.

I agree with you that Jack doesn't have much leverage, I have argued that many times here and been told I was wrong.

But sometimes you need to get a fresh face in the room to break the log jam. It's distinctly possible that Eichel may be more flexible under a new agent. Perhaps a team that wasn't in play previously will look at the Brisson hire and say "I know I'm dealing with a professional here, let's kick the tires again."

An agent who represents a lot more players in the league can represent a lot more players as trade pieces as well. Perhaps Brisson can get a wary GM to come on board with trading for one of his players that wasn't in play before?

It's a good move, and it's not a panic move. A panic move would be more press conferences. Or signing with a team in Russia. This ain't that.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, darksabre said:

For starters, we don't actually know the status of Jack's injury at all. That is likely something that is still in flux.

I find it hard to believe that what GM's are willing to pay is a decided factor. If they have a reason to adjust their offers, they will do so. Adams, likewise, may find new cause to adjust his ask.

I agree with you that Jack doesn't have much leverage, I have argued that many times here and been told I was wrong.

But sometimes you need to get a fresh face in the room to break the log jam. It's distinctly possible that Eichel may be more flexible under a new agent. Perhaps a team that wasn't in play previously will look at the Brisson hire and say "I know I'm dealing with a professional here, let's kick the tires again."

An agent who represents a lot more players in the league can represent a lot more players as trade pieces as well. Perhaps Brisson can get a wary GM to come on board with trading for one of his players that wasn't in play before?

It's a good move, and it's not a panic move. A panic move would be more press conferences. Or signing with a team in Russia. This ain't that.

Agreed. We don’t know Jack’s injury status or whether he could play right now or not. That’s not a situation that can be altered either way by changing agents though. 

Adams has made it abundantly clear as to what he wants back in exchange for Jack. I assume (I would like to believe) that if such an offer was in the same ballpark as the ask, the trade would have been successfully negotiated. But, it hasn’t. Instead, we are reading in the media about how Adams is asking for the sun and the moon. 

I hope you’re right about Brisson, but it’s a little bit too smoke and mirrors for me at this point. I hope he has the relationship or clout or some other intangible je ne sais qoi with other GMs. I doubt it’s going to change Adams mind though. 

1 minute ago, kas23 said:

Agreed. We don’t know Jack’s injury status or whether he could play right now or not. That’s not a situation that can be altered either way by changing agents though. 

Adams has made it abundantly clear as to what he wants back in exchange for Jack. I assume (I would like to believe) that if such an offer was in the same ballpark as the ask, the trade would have been successfully negotiated. But, it hasn’t. Instead, we are reading in the media about how Adams is asking for the sun and the moon. 

I hope you’re right about Brisson, but it’s a little bit too smoke and mirrors for me at this point. I hope he has the relationship or clout or some other intangible je ne sais qoi with other GMs. I doubt it’s going to change Adams mind though. 

I don't think it really has to do with changing Adams' mind. I think it's about making other GMs more confident about Jack coming into their organization.

If his reputation is that he's difficult, hard to work with, etc., and he's being represented by an agent who exhibits those same qualities, then maybe other GMs buy into the reputation stuff.

But if you plug an agent into the process who plays the game better and helps rehab Jack's image, maybe you get somewhere...

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Are you serious? How is it not rational? This is like arguing the lawyer you choose doesn't matter because the facts don't change lol. Why have an agent at all if the only things that matter in negotiations are the realities of the situation and not the people doing the negotiating.

as nfreeman is fond of saying: weak sauce!

I’m not sure what role agents play in trades, besides demanding one. They don’t change who is negotiating. The lawyer analogy is weak sauce because lawyers are the ones pleading cases. In our justice system, this can mean the difference between a guilty or innocent verdict. It doesn’t matter what Fish or Brisson pleads or believe. Neither of them have to live with the consequences of trading away a league star or top prospects. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.