Eichel is changing Agents will be represented by Pat Brisson

Brawndo

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

OMG! Power’s never gonna sign then. Ultimate chess move Jack. 

1 hour ago, kas23 said:

Why would Jack change agents? There’s only 1 reason, he’s not satisfied with the way the (non) trade has gone. He’s so dissatisfied, Jack believed this relation was irreparable. (Sound familiar?) Changing agents isn’t going to change the situation though. Jack has no leverage. Changing agents when the likely outcome isn’t likely going to be different is not reasonable thinking. This is panicking. 

I am having a hard time understanding your  logic. Ultimate chess move, or panic by Jack?  

I see it as just this simple.  He is hiring a better agent, with a proven track record, to get this done.  Should be good for both sides.  

Edited by Pimlach
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, kas23 said:

I’m not sure what role agents play in trades, besides demanding one. They don’t change who is negotiating. The lawyer analogy is weak sauce because lawyers are the ones pleading cases. In our justice system, this can mean the difference between a guilty or innocent verdict. It doesn’t matter what Fish or Brisson pleads or believe. Neither of them have to live with the consequences of trading away a league star or top prospects. 

Of course they play a role. If they didn't, again, why would players have them at all? You guys are so quick to believe any negative aspersion cast on Jack but don't consider the possibility that one of the things potentially handcuffing a deal is the message Jack is/has been putting forth to potential suitors. He could easily be struggling in that area, calling into question his commitment going forward and causing them to be weary of the coming NMC. Jack hiring a new agent could easily be something that helps him present himself better to other teams, leading to smoother negotiations. It doesn't need to be direct. 

The agents don't *literally* have to be in the negotiation room 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Isn't it obvious he could use better representation? It was almost unanimous that the statement they put out was a gong show. How looking to switch to new representation when it's so clearly been questionable at best could be construed as a "panic" move or a "hissy fit" when it's clearly the right thing to do is beyond me. 

• Like (+1) 7

3 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Of course they play a role. If they didn't, again, why would players have them at all? You guys are so quick to believe any negative aspersion cast on Jack but don't consider the possibility that one of the things potentially handcuffing a deal is the message Jack is/has been putting forth to potential suitors. He could easily be struggling in that area, calling into question his commitment going forward and causing them to be weary of the coming NMC. Jack hiring a new agent could easily be something that helps him present himself better to other teams, leading to smoother negotiations. It doesn't need to be direct. 

The agents don't *literally* have to be in the negotiation room 

Your loyalty to Jack is confusing, but steadfast. It’s as if he can’t do anything wrong, which ironically is just as absurd as those who you criticize for being quick to believe anything negative about him.

1 minute ago, I-90 W said:

Your loyalty to Jack is confusing, but steadfast. It’s as if he can’t do anything wrong, which ironically is just as absurd as those who you criticize for being quick to believe anything negative about him.

You aren't saying anything here, just chasing a personal argument. 

I'm literally arguing that the representation he was using before was poor. Doesn't that count as a "wrong"?

I said his twitter emoji thing was kinda dumb when it happened. Really it was a nothing burger but considering the widespread reaction, me calling it dumb must be worth brownie points within the context of your argument, no? 

I think it's pretty well agreed switching agents makes sense - only a few construing it as an act of desperation. Who knows what's correct but I hardly need to cling to a bias here. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I don't think you understand Thorny's stance at all.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, darksabre said:

I don't think you understand Thorny's stance at all.

The post they quoted literally has the words, "Jack could easily be struggling".

I am quite far from thinking Jack has handled this close to perfectly. But there's almost no point in stating it that plainly at this point 

12 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

The fact that apparently everything has to boil down to ones loyalty to or against Jack Eichel kind of proves the point I've been making - that every piece of news is taken as some sort of referendum on Jack's character in the eyes of some, a new chance to call into question the person. 

A ridiculous amount of this is just business. A ridiculous amount. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

All I ever see is him making excuses for him and laugh reacting at anyone who disagrees. If his stance is more distinguished then great for him.

Look, I already told you, I can *pay* rent, I don't mind and it's honestly the least I could do. 

• Haha (+1) 2

"Jack would be happy to come to Anaheim and will follow the course of treatment your doctors prescribe. All he wants is for you to hear him out on why he prefers disc replacement."

I am not sure how anyone could not think hearing those words from someone he trusts might influence Bob Murray off the fence.

Pat Brisson could be that person. Maybe Peter Fish was not.

It's just an example of how this might help.

What do people think agents actually do?

Edited by dudacek
  • Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Taro T said:

And once this inevitably devolves into a regurgitation of the other thread, won't step in here either.  But right now it is discussion of an actual event, not mere speculation.

Still would like to see somebody chime in with how agents get paid when there is a change mid-contract.  @pi2000 any input?

An agency is likely similar to a law firm. Bill by the hour, the project....

4 hours ago, kas23 said:

I’m not sure what role agents play in trades, besides demanding one. They don’t change who is negotiating. The lawyer analogy is weak sauce because lawyers are the ones pleading cases. In our justice system, this can mean the difference between a guilty or innocent verdict. It doesn’t matter what Fish or Brisson pleads or believe. Neither of them have to live with the consequences of trading away a league star or top prospects. 

I think a good agent knows how to grease the wheels. If Brisson is the pro he's reputed to be, he'll use his relationships to arrange the right marriage.

• Like (+1) 4

I see nothing but positives here

• Sabres would welcome a new agent to deal with
  • Jack obviously had enough of Fish and Co. 
  • Every team with serious intent to acquire Jack would at least respect the new agent
  • Rangers may be the only team that see their chances go backward with this.....(Ha ha ha ha ha.....Sorry Chris Drury) 
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Pimlach said:

I see it as just this simple.  He is hiring a better agent, with a proven track record, to get this done.  Should be good for both sides.  

Or, it could go the route of what NFL agent Eugene Parker did to GM Russ Brandon circa early 2009 with Bills All-Pro OT Jason Peters.  That was one-sided, although in this case the player is under contract at a high AAV. 

15 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Changing agents when the likely outcome isn’t likely going to be different is not reasonable thinking. This is panicking. 

Doing things the same way and expecting different results is one definition of insanity.  Maybe, instead of a panic move, the obverse is true and Jack is finally coming to his senses.  His first agent was not working.  Time to try a different approach?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.