Official Sabres Expansion Protection List

Brawndo

19 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

No he isn't, but the fanbase is done with Risto.  Also, protecting Borgen is a bit better asset management, IMO.

You are correct, of course, but I don't care.  I am just done with Risto.

Just like when the fanbase thought  we had the next greatest Pair with weber / Sekera

Then came the great Chris butler 

What has Borgen done to be special?

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Would make more sense for Seatle to take miller.

At $3.8M?

The Sabres are going to have to flip some consideration to Seattle if they want to protect Borgen--unless Seattle really wants Girgensons or something.  

• Like (+1) 3

20 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Thing is they can take borgen, but if they waive him to the minors, buffalo can just claim him again and we are first to claim on waivers.

Would make more sense for Seatle to take miller.

Yup. There will be more than 7 D better than him, I think that keeps him away from them. This likely turns out quite nicely 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Eleven said:

At $3.8M?

The Sabres are going to have to flip some consideration to Seattle if they want to protect Borgen--unless Seattle really wants Girgensons or something.  

With the defense they can pick, no way borgen makes the team, I would do nothing and let them take him.   the second they waive him I grab him back up.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

With the defense they can pick, no way borgen makes the team, I would do nothing and let them take him.   the second they waive him I grab him back up.

Well I can't see them taking Miller at 3.8M, and they have to take a Sabre, so it's going to be Borgen or Girgensons.  And if they take Borgen, Borgen will be their 7th D.  

9 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

Yup. There will be more than 7 D better than him, I think that keeps him away from them. This likely turns out quite nicely 

There are 12 F better than Girgensons, too, but it's going to come down to one or the other IMO.

14 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Borgen overrated by this board

Risto underrated by this board

NHL people Risto> Borgen by a mile

my Unbiased opinion

I really don't see this to be the case.

I am not over / under rating anyone.

I am just very done with Risto as a Sabre.

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

And if buffalo gives any draft picks for the draft they are  run by morans still.

A 3rd or higher, yeah.  A 4th or 5th, maybe but doubtful.  A 6th or 7th, nope.

Kind of expecting Adams to just let the chips fall where they may at this point.  Botterill brought in Miller & almost positive he gave Girgensons the 3 year deal.  With his input, maybe Seattle leaves Borgen alone.

Expecting the injury will scare them away from McCabe and with the D available to them don't see a reason for them to take the rights to Pilut.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Same. I have hope he’ll be traded. But that doesn’t mean I’m just letting him walk for nothing when the alternative loss isn’t that big. I have hope for Borgen but I’m not that worried if we can’t retain him.

That's about where I fall on the Borgen spectrum. I'm hoping he's not taken but I won't lose any sleep if he is.

1 hour ago, StuckinFL said:

So we're all in agreement that we don't live in the timeline that Seattle pulls a fast one and takes Skinner. Had to argue that point with my cousin yesterday.

I don't think anyone believes that Skinner will be the choice unless GMKA made a deal with Seattle to take him off of the team's hands. Even then, the Sabres would probably retain some salary so what's the point? Not happening.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, YouDigg said:

Borgen is gone, but this really makes no difference.  Sabres are years away from being competitive.  

If you want a real eye opener, look at the Lightning protected list.   Most of the exposed players (Killorn, Palat, Gourde, etc) are better than most of our protected players!  SMH

I doubt he even gets taken 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, inkman said:

Please don’t ever post about this team bit being being tough enough then.  That’s Will Borgen. A player the likes of we’ve been waiting for since 2000.  

I’ll believe Borgen when I see Borgen.

1 hour ago, bob_sauve28 said:

No, you get three years out of a decent player at a very valuable position vs just one year. Now we might lose both after next season. It’s just asset management, yes, Risto is way better, but still.  3 for 1 

This team is not going to lose Risto for nothing.

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing against Borgen but if he was that good he would have more than 14 NHL games under his belt by now, he's going to be 25 in Dec. This team has been pathetic for a long time and he has not been able to beat out some of the pathetic dmen the Sabres have rolled out there to get more than 14 games. Yeah, i'll take Risto all day every day.

30 minutes ago, Ross Rhea said:

Nothing against Borgen but if he was that good he would have more than 14 NHL games under his belt by now, he's going to be 25 in Dec. This team has been pathetic for a long time and he has not been able to beat out some of the pathetic dmen the Sabres have rolled out there to get more than 14 games. Yeah, i'll take Risto all day every day.

And most of his past 2 seasons were spent playing for a coach that prefers vets to rookies and 1/2 of that was for a GM that stockpiled RHDs like they were TP on March 30, 2020.

Plus he was injured for a good portion of the tenure of the coach that actually plays young guys.  

The fact he only has 14 games in at this point is more on circumstances than his play.  But, yes, he absolutely isn't a sure thing.  But IMHO he's been 3rd pairing quality for the past 2 years and could very likely be the stay at home 1/2 of a 2nd pairing (and might continue to have chemistry w/ Dahlin and actually play above that much like Daughty allows McNabb to be "1st pairing" though at the time he was 3rd pairing quality.)

Edited by Taro T
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Thorny said:

I think you can begin to build a bit of a projection based on the fact he isn't ratable yet at his age

This would be true if it wasn't a unanimous judgment that he was ready all last year, but having 4 RHD kept him in Rochester. His brief play before injury this year confirmed that he was ready to start becoming an NHL D. He looked better than McCabe did for about 3 years for example 

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Randall Flagg said:

This would be true if it wasn't a unanimous judgment that he was ready all last year, but having 4 RHD kept him in Rochester. His brief play before injury this year confirmed that he was ready to start becoming an NHL D. He looked better than McCabe did for about 3 years for example 

I think we've seen enough from him to have a limit on his ceiling for example 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.