Official Sabres Expansion Protection List

Brawndo

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Just watch him. He aggressively forechecks on almost every shift. Causes turnovers that lead to chances. That is what I expect the Sabres to be next year. 

And what he was in Boston doesn't really matter here because Donnie is retooling players skill sets.

Well it kind of does matter cause they had him for several years and tried him in various roles and he was an underachieving inbetweener and that's why he fell out of their line up. Fast skater, works hard enough, but not a particularly good checker and not a scorer either. No finish. We shall see if Granato can get something out of him that the Bruins couldn't, but I don't share your optimism. Bruins had some pretty good coaches. 

8 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

This is tage thompson how  people are excited is beyond me .

E6oMRRXXEAAg1eo?format=png&name=small

Is anyone actually excited about Tage?

1 hour ago, Buffalonill said:

Agreed

He be in easy player to replace 

I get people don't like him because of the O'Reilly trade, because he struggled in his early days with the team, and for some reason because he's tall, but he was a key part of the team playing well under Granato.

As his minutes went up, his decision making got better. He got to dangerous areas more often, and he seemed to generate a lot of open ice turnovers due to his reach. 

All evidence from Granato onwards is that he's easily a good 3rd liner on a good team. This team hasn't had good 3rd liners in forever, so they're not so easy to replace.

Just now, JoeSchmoe said:

I get people don't like him because of the O'Reilly trade, because he struggled in his early days with the team, and for some reason because he's tall, but he was a key part of the team playing well under Granato.

As his minutes went up, his decision making got better. He got to dangerous areas more often, and he seemed to generate a lot of open ice turnovers due to his reach. 

All evidence from Granato onwards is that he's easily a good 3rd liner on a good team. This team hasn't had good 3rd liners in forever, so they're not so easy to replace.

No one cares he is tall accept for ppl using that as some type of reason he will be good. This is the constant battle I fight and the hill I will die on. Being tall doesn't mean anything unless you use the extra size in a positive way... Tage doesn't. 

I don't think he was a good 3rd liner on most teams. He likes low percentage shots and isn't great defensively. 

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

Dude he's played 145 games 

I guess context doesn’t matter.

41 games with STL as a 20 year old rookie

65 games in his second year, on a crap Buffalo team, where Botterill kept him with the Sabres when it was clear he need to be in Rochester.  Finally and mercifully sent to Rochester, where he looked good and started to develop.

1 game in the NHL his third year. 

38 games last season, scored 2 points under Krueger, and generally sucked.  Scored 12 points for Granato and looked better.

Maybe a bit of patience might be in order instead of stat watching.

• Like (+1) 5

3 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

Always love it when someone uses a statistic and then the inevitable ***** that is this happens. 

No one is saying Tage Thompson cannot be good or will not be good. It just is unlikely that he will suddenly pop even under a better coach in Granato. 

Edited by LGR4GM

3 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

41 games with STL as a 20 year old rookie

65 games in his second year, on a crap Buffalo team, where Botterill kept him with the Sabres when it was clear he need to be in Rochester.  Finally and mercifully sent to Rochester, where he looked good and started to develop.

1 game in the NHL his third year. 

38 games last season, scored 2 points under Krueger, and generally sucked.  Scored 12 points for Granato and looked better.

💯.

The fact that someone would put up 2019 and 2020 numbers to make the point screams agenda. There's no arguing he's a different player now than he was in those seasons.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, LGR4GM said:

Always love it when someone uses a statistic and then the inevitable ***** that is this happens. 

There’s a huge difference between quoting a stat with no context, and using stats to inform decisions and further investigation.

I am a huge advocate for analytics.  But done in a vacuum isn’t smart.  Saying a player is who he is after 145 games, without investigating the circumstances of those games, is silly.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

No one cares he is tall accept for ppl using that as some type of reason he will be good. This is the constant battle I fight and the hill I will die on. Being tall doesn't mean anything unless you use the extra size in a positive way... Tage doesn't. 

I don't think he was a good 3rd liner on most teams. He likes low percentage shots and isn't great defensively. 

I, for one, thinks he uses his reach fairly well.   He has good hands, and a hard shot... combined with his reach he has an enormous puck radius.     

He's good on the forecheck and gets his stick on a lot of pucks due to his length.    He could be more physical, but that's not his game.

He's OK defensively (+4 TRpm).    

My concern w Tage is wether or not he can take that next step.  

Edited by pi2000
  • Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

💯.

The fact that someone would put up 2019 and 2020 numbers to make the point screams agenda. There's no arguing he's a different player now than he was in those seasons.

He still has no hockey sense I've never seen a player miss more open nets just so he can pull of some Fancy move and still miss the net 

41 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

Breaking news: 23 year old forward plays first full NHL season on league’s worst team.  Metrics aren’t good.

Are you implying you would have not protected him? If so who would you swap him with?

8 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

There’s a huge difference between quoting a stat with no context, and using stats to inform decisions and further investigation.

I am a huge advocate for analytics.  But done in a vacuum isn’t smart.  Saying a player is who he is after 145 games, without investigating the circumstances of those games, is silly.

He is getting close to be who he is. After this season he will be. Also you took those stats and interpreted them how you wanted. I simply posted them, and not even in this thread. He has almost 200 pro games and his shot percentage is meh, really meh. I think his billing as a shooter is overrated and I think it is important to ask why has he only managed to get 145 games over 4 years of playing NHL hockey. At some point he has to sink or swim and for me that is this year. 

Since he has played 145 games you would think it would start to come together. I think we should give him this season to try but I am skeptical because of his low hockey IQ. 

Edited by LGR4GM

Low hockey IQ?

Seems like a silly term to me.  The dude is playing in the NHL, so thee has to be something to his hockey IQ.  Granted, he plays for the Sabres and who knows if another team would have him out there.

1 minute ago, JoeSchmoe said:

17 goal pace this year when used sparingly for a good chunk of the season.

I think Tage will be okay player in the right situation.

12 minutes ago, Der Jaeger said:

You acted like he's some rookie still

I can guarantee you if dylan cozens had 35 points  in 145 games people wouldn't use the word "patience"

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Low hockey IQ?

Seems like a silly term to me.  The dude is playing in the NHL, so thee has to be something to his hockey IQ.  Granted, he plays for the Sabres and who knows if another team would have him out there.

Lots of players have low Hockey IQ what about kassian? 

And you have this 

CleverApprehensiveBadger-size_restricted

Edited by Buffalonill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Low hockey IQ?

Folks often mistake inexperience for low hockey IQ.    Some guys, like Risto, just don't seem to get any better at decision making no matter how much experience they gather.    Tage, IMO has improved w experience.. but he needs to keep improving especially his decision making.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Low hockey IQ?

You need to look a the NHL as a bell curve. Tage falls on the end of that curve for NHL players and that is problem. 

8 minutes ago, Radar said:

Are you implying you would have not protected him? If so who would you swap him with?

With the roster the Sabres have, who was going to be protected instead?  Eakin?

9 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

He is getting close to be who he is. After this season he will be. Also you took those stats and interpreted them how you wanted. I simply posted them, and not even in this thread. He has almost 200 pro games and his shot percentage is meh, really meh. I think his billing as a shooter is overrated and I think it is important to ask why has he only managed to get 145 games over 4 years of playing NHL hockey. At some point he has to sink or swim and for me that is this year. 

Since he has played 145 games you would think it would start to come together. I think we should give him this season to try but I am skeptical because of his low hockey IQ. 

In summary, that’s what I originally said.  The Sabres would be smart to give it a bit longer.

6 minutes ago, Buffalonill said:

You acted like he's some rookie still

I can guarantee you if dylan cozens had 35 points  in 145 games people wouldn't use the word "patience"

He’s not.  But he’s had a crappy development situation.  Botterill force fed him NHL minutes.  And Krueger brought a lot of players down.

Have to take in the whole situation and context.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.