Expansion Draft -- Wed. July 21, 2021 (Release the Kraken)

Hoss

Just now, Huckleberry said:

my only issue is they left Vegas out of the expansion draft and for them this is a 2.0.

They didn’t get the money from the expansion fee which is why they aren’t involved.

However, the league reportedly put it out there that they didn’t want Vegas being used in deals to “hide” players who would otherwise be exposed. To that I say: then why not make it a rule Vegas couldn’t acquire any exposable players after their season ended until the end of the trade freeze?

8 minutes ago, Hoss said:

They didn’t get the money from the expansion fee which is why they aren’t involved.

However, the league reportedly put it out there that they didn’t want Vegas being used in deals to “hide” players who would otherwise be exposed. To that I say: then why not make it a rule Vegas couldn’t acquire any exposable players after their season ended until the end of the trade freeze?

Yeah they can't stop them from trading with other teams.    But they are dealing from a  postion of strength again.

Just now, Huckleberry said:

Yeah they can't stop them from trading with other teams.    But they are dealing from a  postion of strength again.

They definitely could stop them from dealing with other teams. They can do whatever they want.

8 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Per LeBrun Carey Price waived His NMC for expansion 

Pretty friggin' ballsy.

The Habs become a bubble team that needs a break or 2 to get into the dance without a healthy Price.  Would almost definitely take that.  Barring injuries, he'll be worth his contract for at least 3 of the 5 remaining years.  They can figure out how to dump ithe contract when the time comes.

That’s really ballsy. He’s expensive, but he’s elite. I know they will be paying him $10M for next 5 years, but it’s not like they’ll be paying a goalie nothing during this time. So, this should be viewed as how much extra money would this be costing the Kraken. 

4 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Price’s wife is from Washington and they’re building a house up in BC so maybe he’d welcome the move. He’s from Vancouver.

Maybe in retirement, but right now he is playing in hockey heaven, the real one.

That said, I don't think he would have waived if it was not something that he is okay with, should Seattle draft him.  

11 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Maybe in retirement, but right now he is playing in hockey heaven, the real one.

That said, I don't think he would have waived if it was not something that he is okay with, should Seattle draft him.  

Your second point is the point I’d make and also Montreal is “hockey heaven” in a similar way New York is the “Mecca of basketball.” The Maple Leafs are more comparable to the Knicks but Montreal hasn’t been successful in a very long time and their finals appearance will prove to be an unrepeatable performance.

Re: Price.  That's a gigantic cap it. 10M+ for years...  but within 3 seasons the cap should start going up again. If I'm Seattle, I give MTL a call and ask for a 2022 or 2023 1st to relieve them of the burden of Price's cap hit. Or alternately, what kind of pick I can get for them to not lose the face of their franchise. See if I can make them sweat a little bit.

If Seattle took Price and Driegder/Vanecek, their goaltending at the NHL level is set. And likely at $12M to bridge the backup...  while super-high, isn't completely unreasonable. Montreal just did it.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

Price’s wife is from Washington and they’re building a house up in BC so maybe he’d welcome the move. He’s from Vancouver.

He’s actually from Anahim Lake, an 11-hour drive from Vancouver, basically as close to Vancouver as Buffalo is to South Carolina.

It’s rural ranch and timber country in the remote Chilcotin Plateau about 5 hours driving away from the nearest town of any size, and  home to only about 1,500 people, a majority of them First Nations. Price’s mom (who I met once) was (maybe still is) the chief.

The highway in just re-opened after being closed by wildfires.

In some ways, Price is actually more of an edge-of-the-world longshot in terms of where he grew up than Dylan Cozens.

(Not trying to be pedantic, so I hope you don’t take it that way. Call me Pierre, but I just find Price’s background and how big and empty my province is interesting.)

Edited by dudacek
  • Thanks (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, dudacek said:

He’s actually from Anahim Lake, an 11-hour drive from Vancouver, basically as close to Vancouver as Buffalo is to South Carolina.

It’s rural ranch and timber country in the remote Chilcotin Plateau about 5 hours driving away from the nearest town of any size, and  home to only about 1,500 people, a majority of them First Nations. Price’s mom (who I met once) was (maybe still is) the chief.

In some ways, Price is actually more of an edge-of-the-world longshot in terms of where he grew up than Dylan Cozens.

(Not trying to be pedantic, so I hope you don’t take it that way. Call me Pierre, but I just find Price’s background and how big and empty my province is interesting.)

I was shocked to hear that he had a wife. 

1 hour ago, DarthEbriate said:

Re: Price.  That's a gigantic cap it. 10M+ for years...  but within 3 seasons the cap should start going up again. If I'm Seattle, I give MTL a call and ask for a 2022 or 2023 1st to relieve them of the burden of Price's cap hit. Or alternately, what kind of pick I can get for them to not lose the face of their franchise. See if I can make them sweat a little bit.

If Seattle took Price and Driegder/Vanecek, their goaltending at the NHL level is set. And likely at $12M to bridge the backup...  while super-high, isn't completely unreasonable. Montreal just did it.

I think it's pretty much impossible that the Habs would let Price go after that SCF run in which he was their MVP.

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I honestly just googled Carey Price and the homepage said Vancouver haha but good to know. I like that too.

35 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I think it's pretty much impossible that the Habs would let Price go after that SCF run in which he was their MVP.

That's the key. Then Seattle needs to figure out what the Habs will give up to a) waive his NMC and b) keep Allen. Sure, he's not been great in the regular season recently, but neither had MA Fleury been before Pittsburgh let Vegas have him. Seattle needs to be on the pillaging path.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.