Pierre McGuire joining Senators Front Office

Brawndo

If it keeps him off of broadcasts, then I’m all for this hire.

I don’t see how he is qualified to be honest.  He hasn’t worked for an NHL team for 25 years.  His highest level experience for an NHL team is one year as Assistant GM/Head Coach of the Hartford Whalers.  Being on television hockey broadcasts is not equivalent to NHL front office experience.

• Like (+1) 4

Well at least he’ll be knowledgeable as to where all the Ottawa Senators players father‘s sister‘s cousin‘s mother went to high school. And not to mention he’ll also know the Ottawa Senators players favorite ice cream flavors. and if they like beaver tails.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 6

38 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t see how he is qualified to be honest.  He hasn’t worked for an NHL team for 25 years.  His highest level experience for an NHL team is one year as Assistant GM/Head Coach of the Hartford Whalers.  Being on television hockey broadcasts is not equivalent to NHL front office experience.

Is Pierre a worse choice for a FO job, than hiring a guy from a youth hockey academy to be your GM?

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

50 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Is Pierre a worse choice for a FO job, than hiring a guy from a youth hockey academy to be your GM?

Actually, yeah, I think so.

24 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Always seeing the negative.

I looked at the positive.  It keeps him off of broadcasts.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Curt said:

2 hours ago, Zamboni said:

Well at least he’ll be knowledgeable as to where all the Ottawa Senators players father‘s sister‘s cousin‘s mother went to high school. And not to mention he’ll also know the Ottawa Senators players favorite ice cream flavors. and if they like beaver tails.

1 hour ago, PASabreFan said:

Always seeing the negative.

Don't worry, guys. Look on the bright side: he gives us a chance to hate that team even more. Now, if only he'd been hired by the Leafs or the Rangers...

Also, another positive: he’ll eventually get fired. Count on it.

4 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

Would including recent former Stanley Cup champion have been too generous to add?

I mean if you’re going to denigrate his meager qualifications, at least be honest about what they are.

17 minutes ago, SDS said:

Would including recent former Stanley Cup champion have been too generous to add?

I mean if you’re going to denigrate his meager qualifications, at least be honest about what they are.

Good point. After all, if I'm not mistaken,some HHOF members have been dead to the world by choice (instead of staying involved in the sport in whatever capacity).

Addendum: in retrospect, I know I was highly critical of Darcy Regier, especially since I had mocked his cup of coffee playing career. Laugh at me if you want, but he was a pretty decent GM FTMP. Also, on-ice success doesn't always translate into positive coaching/FO results, i.e. Wayne Gretzky.

Edited by Crosschecking
Addendum

45 minutes ago, SDS said:

It's a stretch to say that winning a Cup as a player is a qualification for being a GM. Sabres GM Miro Satan anyone?

12 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

lol, "Senior VP of Player Development"

Good luck with that Ottawa. 

idk, I don't share the dislike for the guy seen around here. I'm not sure how good he will be in that role, but he's a knowledgeable hockey guy who has made numerous connections over the years. Could be worse. 

So far Ottawa's rebuild is moving much faster than ours so I'm not going to criticize them. I actually think we need to do what they did (so far). 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PASabreFan said:

It's a stretch to say that winning a Cup as a player is a qualification for being a GM. Sabres GM Miro Satan anyone?

Maybe the definition of meager escapes you.

I was a youth hockey coach for a year. Let’s just leave it at that.

6 hours ago, SDS said:

You can include that.  I didn’t ignore it intentionally.  Just don’t know what it has to do with being hired to be an NHL GM. 

13 hours ago, Brawndo said:

As others have mentioned, as long as it keeps him off the national broadcasts, am good with it.

Don't get why he's to help w/ player development.  Didn't foresee this move, but could've seen it as more of a role interacting w/ the league & other teams.  The guy has contacts in those places.  But the Whale has been gone a loooong time & his need to keep up evaluation/development skills has been long past.  HHopefully it's as effective as bring Gretzky into a hands on management role has worked in the past.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.