Rasmus Dahlin... will be FINE.

LGR4GM

1 hour ago, inkman said:

Dahlin has the very unfortunate circumstance of entering the league at a time where young fast dynamic Dmen are a premium.  Rasmuses speed is fairly pedestrian which makes him seem rather ordinary.  Really hoping Donny 🥩🏐s continues progressing Dahlin to at least make it an argument with Makar and Fox.  It’s downright depressing these other guys are literally skating circles around Rasmus.

Who are all of these extra fast D men you are talking about?  Makar and........?  Fox is a good skater, and maybe his straight line speed is a bit better than Dahlin, but I don’t think Fox is extremely fast or anything.

Edited by Curt

I don’t care how much free reign Dahlin is given by Granato from an offensive standpoint. It all means nothing if he doesn’t become at least average in his own end...and IMO he has a LOT of work to do in order to reach that “average” point. 

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin has that Eichel speed where he looks slow but isn't. His short area explosiveness though needs work. 

The most disconcerting part of Dahlin's game is his inability to react quickly to a play from a decision making perspective.  This, coupled with the short area explosiveness really puts Dahlin in a hole on many plays.  Perhaps if he can "just play the game", this will improve.  However, I'm concerned fans and scouts alike mischaracterized his slow processor with "calmness" in order to fit the "elite talent" narrative, and this flaw is more endemic to this natural game.  

This coming year is crucial for Dahlin.  

2 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

The most disconcerting part of Dahlin's game is his inability to react quickly to a play from a decision making perspective.  This, coupled with the short area explosiveness really puts Dahlin in a hole on many plays.  Perhaps if he can "just play the game", this will improve.  However, I'm concerned fans and scouts alike mischaracterized his slow processor with "calmness" in order to fit the "elite talent" narrative, and this flaw is more endemic to this natural game.  

His offensive zone processing is amazing so I think his defensive zone is calm and collected. He likes to skate out of pressure and Krueger wouldn't let him. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I definitely see what you are talking about.  He sometimes seems hesitant or to be second guessing what to do in the defensive zone, but I’m going to agree with Liger.  I think, and hope, that this is mostly to to do with the constraints placed on him.

I don’t really recall him being so hesitant during his rookie year, or even when he was playing confidently in the 2nd half of his 2nd year.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, WildCard said:

Drew Doughty was 100% integral to the Kings runs. So were Seabrook and Keith to Chicago, and Hedman to Tampa.

Seems like a Norris Trophy type defenseman is just as valuable, maybe more, than an elite 1C.  

2 hours ago, DHawerchuk10 said:

I saw what you saw.

I also wonder how much of that was a factor of trying hard to do what was being asked of him instead of what came naturally - the old thinking-instead-of-reacting issue.

He did look better post-Krueger and this certainly fits with his comments about Granato wanting him to play the way he’s been brought up to play.

I can see this being the year that Dahlin arrives more on the offensive side. To project it: 10G 45A type season perhaps?  Not sure if that is shooting too high for next year but we have to remember that Dahlin post Krueger and no Eichel was really showing some strides on that side of the ice.

3 hours ago, Pimlach said:

Seems like a Norris Trophy type defenseman is just as valuable, maybe more, than an elite 1C.  

They get more ice time.  That is a big part of it.  And 2nd, in their own end, they potentially 'own' half the ice, forward assignments are a bit different.

• Thanks (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

I can see this being the year that Dahlin arrives more on the offensive side. To project it: 10G 45A type season perhaps?  Not sure if that is shooting too high for next year but we have to remember that Dahlin post Krueger and no Eichel was really showing some strides on that side of the ice.

I don’t think your projection is bad with Eichel and Sam on the team.  He needs some people to bury the puck to get that many assists though. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, LGR4GM said:

Rasmus Dahlin, like Reinhart before him will be fine. Krueger tried his hardest to make him something he isn't, a shutdown defender who is only allowed to outlet pass from his own zone. Does Dahlin have work to do? Yes he does but he is going to be fine and we will see a very different Dahlin this season. 

I’m starting to warm up to meatballs 

Edited by Derrico

10 hours ago, dudacek said:

Give him the Chabot deal now? 8x8?

The going rate? 3x4.9 (McAvoy bridge) or 6x6.75 (Provorov term)

Or wait and let Heiskanen, Hughes and Makar set the market and try to slide in behind them?

IF Eichel is gone, they'd better be offering Dahlin a legit 8 year deal (similar to the Chabot deal) the next ####ing day.

13 hours ago, Ruff Around The Edges said:

Dahlin has already produced at a rate similar to that.  2019-20 he had 40 points in 59 games.  That’s 55-56 points over a full season.  I think he can do even more.

If Dahlin takes an actual step forward next season, in addition to being unleashed a bit, I don’t think something like 10-55-65 is pie in the sky.

• Like (+1) 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:20 AM, inkman said:

Dahlin has the very unfortunate circumstance of entering the league at a time where young fast dynamic Dmen are a premium.  Rasmuses speed is fairly pedestrian which makes him seem rather ordinary.  Really hoping Donny 🥩🏐s continues progressing Dahlin to at least make it an argument with Makar and Fox.  It’s downright depressing these other guys are literally skating circles around Rasmus.

So why are you, and maybe they, trying to make him into the fast dynamic D man and not trying to develop him into an all around complete D man?   imo the expectations of what he can be are all wrong and we have been developing him poorly. In that way, I don't think Krueger was wrong in trying to develop his defensive game, it's just that Steve Smith was a crap coach, and possibly Dahlin is a slow learner. 

He does not have elite speed, so we shouldn't be trying to make him into that type of player. he does, however, have exceptional skills, and he can be very very good. 

6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

So why are you, and maybe they, trying to make him into the fast dynamic D man and not trying to develop him into an all around complete D man?   imo the expectations of what he can be are all wrong and we have been developing him poorly. In that way, I don't think Krueger was wrong in trying to develop his defensive game, it's just that Steve Smith was a crap coach, and possibly Dahlin is a slow learner. 

He does not have elite speed, so we shouldn't be trying to make him into that type of player. he does, however, have exceptional skills, and he can be very very good. 

No one is going to make him anything he isn’t.  He just has the unfortunate timing of playing with possibly the fastest dman of his generation. 

On 6/30/2021 at 10:47 AM, LTS said:

Dahlin's quote on Granato sums up why he improved.  If you add that to the YouTube video posted in the Granato thread where he talks about coaches getting in players heads over adherence to a system versus following their instincts you can see why Krueger destroyed Dahlin and why Dahlin showed incredible improvement under Granato.

Watching that YouTube video was very telling and provides great insight into the little things that make coaches different.

Yup. That video was eye opening to say the least. 

1 hour ago, inkman said:

No one is going to make him anything he isn’t.  He just has the unfortunate timing of playing with possibly the fastest dman of his generation. 

I don’t think this is true.  Who are all of these incredibly fast and dynamic defensemen?

Makar is fast.  Fox isn’t really that fast, is he?

56 minutes ago, Curt said:

I don’t think this is true.  Who are all of these incredibly fast and dynamic defensemen?

Makar is fast.  Fox isn’t really that fast, is he?

Dahlin's problem is not speed but confidence. 

Edited by LGR4GM
spelling

37 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Dahlin's probably is not speed but confidence. 

I really don’t think Dahlin is slow, but he isn’t super fast either.

I disagree with the characterization that we are in an era of speed skating defensemen and Dahlin is the odd guy out.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.