Rasmus Dahlin... will be FINE.

LGR4GM

Rasmus Dahlin, like Reinhart before him will be fine. Krueger tried his hardest to make him something he isn't, a shutdown defender who is only allowed to outlet pass from his own zone. Does Dahlin have work to do? Yes he does but he is going to be fine and we will see a very different Dahlin this season. 

• Like (+1) 6

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Wait, so he isn't a bust?? 🤣

IK you're joking but what's fascinating is that even as "bad" as he was under Krueger, Dahlin has still outscored all the guys not named Phil Housley. I am very curious to see how he does under Granato. This is kind of a prove it year in some ways for Dahlin because his peers (Makar, Fox, Heiskanen) are older but all really started to prove themselves at 21. 

Yes.  He will be a player I expect to help lead us out of the basement dregs.  

He must be allowed to skate freely and create offense.  I also see him getting stronger and with more of a man body. 

I also want to see Power on this team.  I want a Norris defenseman and a great goalie.  I want to build from back to front.  

• Like (+1) 1

Dahlin's quote on Granato sums up why he improved.  If you add that to the YouTube video posted in the Granato thread where he talks about coaches getting in players heads over adherence to a system versus following their instincts you can see why Krueger destroyed Dahlin and why Dahlin showed incredible improvement under Granato.

Watching that YouTube video was very telling and provides great insight into the little things that make coaches different.

• Like (+1) 7

1 minute ago, LTS said:

Dahlin's quote on Granato sums up why he improved.  If you add that to the YouTube video posted in the Granato thread where he talks about coaches getting in players heads over adherence to a system versus following their instincts you can see why Krueger destroyed Dahlin and why Dahlin showed incredible improvement under Granato.

Watching that YouTube video was very telling and provides great insight into the little things that make coaches different.

Haven't seen this, do you have it?

I have no concerns about Rasmus being an elite defenseman.

The question lies in how much that is going to end up costing us.

I've expressed before that I believe elite defensemen are often overvalued by teams at the expense of the rest of the roster. Erik Karlsson's career has been a total waste of money. Shea Weber has been and will continue to be overpaid. Drew Doughty? Brent Burns? Great hockey players to be sure, but none of them are pieces that I consider essential to success.

Just now, darksabre said:

I have no concerns about Rasmus being an elite defenseman.

The question lies in how much that is going to end up costing us.

I've expressed before that I believe elite defensemen are often overvalued by teams at the expense of the rest of the roster. Erik Karlsson's career has been a total waste of money. Shea Weber has been and will continue to be overpaid. Drew Doughty? Brent Burns? Great hockey players to be sure, but none of them are pieces that I consider essential to success.

Drew Doughty was 100% integral to the Kings runs. So were Seabrook and Keith to Chicago, and Hedman to Tampa.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Haven't seen this, do you have it?

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/5-things-to-know-about-sabres-coach-don-granato/c-325513248

"His way to play was how I learned to play hockey," Dahlin said. "But the thing I felt was that he trusted me as a player. He really saw what my potential was, and I felt comfortable playing out there. I wasn't thinking too much."

In the YouTube video he references Dallas Drake, who had been in the league 14 years coming to him in a panic over whether he did the neutral zone forecheck properly (the head coach had laid out the system).  His inference is that Dallas Drake may have 14 years but he realizes if he doesn't do what the coach wants he's not a superstar and could be benched or scratched, etc.  Granato's response was, before the coach laid it out you were doing it fine, do it like you know how and you'll be fine.  I see the same for Dahlin.  He made a mistake and he's on the bench.  He lives in fear of making a mistake so now he's thinking about making mistakes or not making mistakes and he's not supposed to be thinking, he's supposed to be reacting.  The time for thinking is off the ice, not in the middle of the play.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Can you say BREAKOUT season?

If Jack/Sam/Risto are gone this is his team. He may not be captain material but he will be the best player.

Top of this thread.

Thanks. My laptop doesn't show the actual tweet, just a link for some reason. 

That is a great quote. If Granato does any singular thing to make me happy with his hiring it's allowing Dahlin to become what he can be. We all forget how highly touted/capable he is.

2 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Drew Doughty was 100% integral to the Kings runs. So were Seabrook and Keith to Chicago, and Hedman to Tampa.

I'm not that convinced on Doughty anymore. Seabrook and Keith aren't in the same league as Dahlin should end up being. Hedman is possibly the only good example of a franchise D man actually making a difference in the last decade and he took a hometown discount to do it...

1 minute ago, darksabre said:

I'm not that convinced on Doughty anymore. Seabrook and Keith aren't in the same league as Dahlin should end up being. Hedman is possibly the only good example of a franchise D man actually making a difference in the last decade and he took a hometown discount to do it...

Keith and Seabrook I'll give you as far as being in the same league, but Doughty I'm sticking too. 

Hedman did take a discount, true. Karlsson and Burns were also old when they took their big deals though, they're best seasons behind them.

8 minutes ago, darksabre said:

Keith in his prime was a great player. If Dahlin turns into that level of talent I’ll be very happy with that. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, WildCard said:

Keith and Seabrook I'll give you as far as being in the same league, but Doughty I'm sticking too. 

Hedman did take a discount, true. Karlsson and Burns were also old when they took their big deals though, they're best seasons behind them.

It's all going to come down to timing. How confident are the Sabres locking him in long term right now? They would be wise to not wait, imo. Because I think if they bridge him and he goes off they're screwed. They're going to have to pay him and he's not going to take a discount like Hedman did. 

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Keith in his prime was a great player. If Dahlin turns into that level of talent I’ll be very happy with that. 

How much you wanna pay for it?

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

IK you're joking but what's fascinating is that even as "bad" as he was under Krueger, Dahlin has still outscored all the guys not named Phil Housley. I am very curious to see how he does under Granato. This is kind of a prove it year in some ways for Dahlin because his peers (Makar, Fox, Heiskanen) are older but all really started to prove themselves at 21. 

Dahlin has the very unfortunate circumstance of entering the league at a time where young fast dynamic Dmen are a premium.  Rasmuses speed is fairly pedestrian which makes him seem rather ordinary.  Really hoping Donny 🥩🏐s continues progressing Dahlin to at least make it an argument with Makar and Fox.  It’s downright depressing these other guys are literally skating circles around Rasmus.

58 minutes ago, French Collection said:

Can you say BREAKOUT season?

If Jack/Sam/Risto are gone this is his team. He may not be captain material but he will be the best player.

Top of this thread.

I won't anoint him Captain yet, but I think Cozens is going to emerge as the leader of this team. I would also not appoint him Captain this year and allow Okposo and Jake McCabe to do that (re-sign Jake is a must for me). 

3 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

So, his plus minus ?

Speaking of that it went from -38 to -1 when he went from Krueger to Granato (in games played under those coaches this season)

31 minutes ago, inkman said:

Dahlin has the very unfortunate circumstance of entering the league at a time where young fast dynamic Dmen are a premium.  Rasmuses speed is fairly pedestrian which makes him seem rather ordinary.  Really hoping Donny 🥩🏐s continues progressing Dahlin to at least make it an argument with Makar and Fox.  It’s downright depressing these other guys are literally skating circles around Rasmus.

You are talking about short area burst. I think it has to do with lower body strength. 

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

Why is his low plus minus not evidence of him performing badly, but his good plus minus (which is what "5v5 gf% is, more or less) is evidence of strong performance 

I think his low +/- under Krueger is evidence of him playing poorly. I just think that was because he couldn't play the game how Krueger wanted and also his defensive partner didn't help him in the way he needs. 

46 minutes ago, darksabre said:

It's all going to come down to timing. How confident are the Sabres locking him in long term right now? They would be wise to not wait, imo. Because I think if they bridge him and he goes off they're screwed. They're going to have to pay him and he's not going to take a discount like Hedman did. 

How much you wanna pay for it?

I’d give him a Skinner level contract with the confidence that he would be worth it

34 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Give him the Chabot deal now? 8x8?

The going rate? 3x4.9 (McAvoy bridge) or 6x6.75 (Provorov term)

Or wait and let Heiskanen, Hughes and Makar set the market and try to slide in behind them?

I would like the Sabres to be confident enough in him to give him the Chabot deal. I think that's the only way you get the value from him you need.

3 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

I’d give him a Skinner level contract with the confidence that he would be worth it

That makes me very uneasy.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.