Get to know Rikard Gronborg - like it or not

MODO Hockey

I watched the video you posted a while back. He comes across as a knowledgeable and experienced coach.

I like him, I'd be fine with him as the Sabres coach if they finish the interview process and decide to hire him. 

34 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

" To me, it’s the ride itself that’s fun,” Gronborg said, reflecting on his coaching career. “It’s a journey that I’m really enjoying. No matter what level you’re at, just being able to support myself coaching hockey, which is a privilege itself,

Based on that quote, he's a Swedish Donnie Granato.  We already have a Donnie Granato, I'm not sure why we need to swap him out with another one.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

Rikard Gronborg:

I just caught that youtube streamer behind the channel Top Shelf Hockey, & he opened up the video by saying we're interviewing Gronborg again. Came on to the site here & see your lovely thread here. He's always been an intriguing candidate to me & many others. Also has that Swedish connection, which could be beneficial in more ways than one.

I'm glad he's a name on the list. We need to look at everyone imo

• Like (+1) 2

Well I read it and watched it and I appreciate your effort, but I'm not convinced. There's still too many Ralph similarities in the sales pitch imo and he's simply not proven in the NHL. I want a sure thing, a coach I can be sure knows how to win in the NHL so that if they still lose it's all on the players and we don't go through this yet again in a few years while contemplating what the disconnect between Dahlin and the Sabres is..................

As for Granato with him that'll never work. Cannot imagine Granato being okay with being an assistant to a new HC that has similarities to himself after being the interim. I'm sure the man has too much pride for that. Recipe for dysfunction imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

@MODO Hockey

@North Buffalo beat me to the comment, but when I read this:

"Another thing that i've mentioned more than once is that he is so utterly good to get beneath the skin of the other teams coaching staff. 

He has done this with perfection many times, he is a ***** beast and he loves it."

Thought immediately of how thoroughly Ruff got under the skin of opponents & their coaches in the playoffs.  He got so far into their heads that Brind'Amour was STILL whining about Ruff right after he'd won the Stanley Cup.

Might be fun to get thatshow back.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Well I read it and watched it and I appreciate your effort, but I'm not convinced. There's still too many Ralph similarities in the sales pitch imo and he's simply not proven in the NHL. I want a sure thing, a coach I can be sure knows how to win in the NHL so that if they still lose it's all on the players and we don't go through this yet again in a few years while contemplating what the disconnect between Dahlin and the Sabres is..................

As for Granato with him that'll never work. Cannot imagine Granato being okay with being an assistant to a new HC that has similarities to himself after being the interim. I'm sure the man has too much pride for that. Recipe for dysfunction imo. 

And still you were one of the guys that were ALL IN on Ralph, you personally bought into his bullsh1t 110%.

Posted October 13, 2019

I'm all in now. 

I don't know if we will be good enough to make the playoffs this year, but I firmly believe from what I've seen this year that there is a huge change taking place and the train is finally on the right track. Now it's simply a question of injuries, luck, goaltending streaks (ours and the opposition's) and how fast the prospects like Cozens and Asplund etc develop.  "

That is just one of your belowed quotes of your thoughts when it comes to Ralph. You literally loved him when he was hired.

We disagree you and i when it comes to Rikard Gronborg, just as we did when it came to our knowledge Sabres was hireing Ralph. 
I cannot convice you, i really cant, so let's just leave it as it is now and see what the outcome is, no matter what we have 10 seasons in a row without playoffs, no matter what the sabres have tried they have failed and yet once again here we are. 

Rikard Gronborg is in my opinion the best choice this trash organisation could make. 

20 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

I respect Modo's opinion, even if he gets a bit grouchy sometimes, and I find Gronborg's beard highly compelling, but ultimately this is where I am as well.

I also think it's important to note, as I posted in the other coaching thread, that Gronborg has coached the Swedish national team and a team in the Swiss league, but he has not coached in a high-level "everyday" league. 

I wonder if Gronborg would come on board as an assistant as others have suggested?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

I respect Modo's opinion, even if he gets a bit grouchy sometimes, and I find Gronborg's beard highly compelling, but ultimately this is where I am as well.

I also think it's important to note, as I posted in the other coaching thread, that Gronborg has coached the Swedish national team and a team in the Swiss league, but he has not coached in a high-level "everyday" league. 

I wonder if Gronborg would come on board as an assistant as others have suggested?

I might even make you a phat panny one day.

And yes, im pretty sure Rikard would accept a assistant position if the terms is right.

• Like (+1) 2

Hell, I’m open to Oscar the grouch if it means he gets the players on board to be their best and go thru a wall for each other. If RG wins out and gets picked, so be it. And just like every single coach before him, (since lindy) there will be a short window to prove he has what it takes.
If it looks bad early on, About 10% of the fans will turn on him in 2-3 months. You know who the posters are. The next 80% will turn on him in month 3 thru 12. And the remaining 10% will hold out hope until he’s fired 😂

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b9521d55616cc32c47f5db

I don't know why, but I like him. I wanted him 2 years ago too. It's not based on anything other than I can mentally see him coaching an inspired team in the playoffs. He just has that inspiring badass vibe. He does remind me of a more relatable Lindy Ruff. I can see him getting a group of underachievers to run through a wall but with a decent uncomplicated system. But my view is not evidence based. Just a feeling. 

• Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, MODO Hockey said:

And still you were one of the guys that were ALL IN on Ralph, you personally bought into his bullsh1t 110%.

Posted October 13, 2019

I'm all in now. 

I don't know if we will be good enough to make the playoffs this year, but I firmly believe from what I've seen this year that there is a huge change taking place and the train is finally on the right track. Now it's simply a question of injuries, luck, goaltending streaks (ours and the opposition's) and how fast the prospects like Cozens and Asplund etc develop.  "

That is just one of your belowed quotes of your thoughts when it comes to Ralph. You literally loved him when he was hired.

We disagree you and i when it comes to Rikard Gronborg, just as we did when it came to our knowledge Sabres was hireing Ralph. 
I cannot convice you, i really cant, so let's just leave it as it is now and see what the outcome is, no matter what we have 10 seasons in a row without playoffs, no matter what the sabres have tried they have failed and yet once again here we are. 

Rikard Gronborg is in my opinion the best choice this trash organisation could make. 

Two things on this quote.

1. I was accused a few times of being too negative on the team so I really tried to buy in and be optimistic and I chose to believe that the wild card off the path coach signing would work. I WANTED to believe so I tried. Big mistake.

2. Fool me once ............ the definition of insanity doing the same thing again and hoping for a different result and all that stuff. 

We won't resolve our difference of opinion here and that's fair. If we hire him and we win feel free to laud it over me for all the years he's here. I will gladly suck that up in exchange for this team winning cause that's all I want. I'm quite happy to be wrong, but I'm not going to buy in and blindly hope ever again. I feel real change is required and anything less will need to prove itself to me or I truly am out after all these years. 

I used to live near Buffalo and grew up with them and it stuck. I occasionally crossed the border and saw a game live while marvelling at how much snow you get there (lol) . It's been hard to stay  a fan moving to southern BC but I have for now. The Kraken however, do provide me with an exit strategy and I just might be forced into it. 

45 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

If they're stuck on the direction they are in philosophically this idea makes more sense to me than Granato staying on with Gronborg as HC. They hire Granato full time and add Gronborg to the staff. If Granato is failing there's your new interim to try out. 

Not my preferred option, but makes more sense to me than giving the job to Gronborg. 

***** it! Go for it. What's the he worst that can happen? Were we the first team ever to finish 31st? Maybe we won't be the first team ever to finish 32nd. My money is on we will be, but I'm still hoping against it. Maybe he can help.

• Thanks (+1) 1

Can someone explain to me how the assistant coach to Kruger comes in and totally changes things.  What the freak did Donato do when

he was an assistant coach?  Why didn't he have more of an influence then?  Was Kruger just shutting out every other voice?  Why do I

seem to be the only person asking this question?  Am I really that clueless on how NHL coaching staffs work? [Yes, I know that is an

invitation for others to slam me. Whatever.]

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, etiennep99 said:

Can someone explain to me how the assistant coach to Kruger comes in and totally changes things.  What the freak did Donato do when

he was an assistant coach?  Why didn't he have more of an influence then?  Was Kruger just shutting out every other voice?  Why do I

seem to be the only person asking this question?  Am I really that clueless on how NHL coaching staffs work? [Yes, I know that is an

invitation for others to slam me. Whatever.]

No it’s a legit question. Donny Meatballs owns some of the stink during the RK tenure. But RK was calling the overall shots. And I think Don and the other assistants under RK were just trying to work within what RK wanted to do. Once Don had “full control” the assistants to him were trying to work within what Don wants to do. That’s being a team player. You wouldn’t last long as an assistant if you were arguing and fighting against what the HC wanted to do. Heck you wouldn’t last long if (in most jobs) if you went against what your immediate boss wanted to do as far as performing a job.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.