Sabres have 35% Drop in Viewership

Brawndo

I expect the Sabres coming early season crowds to be among the worst in franchise history.

And I don’t think anything they can do this summer short of acquiring Crosby or McDavid would change that.

It’s going to take wins.

1 hour ago, dudacek said:

I expect the Sabres coming early season crowds to be among the worst in franchise history.

And I don’t think anything they can do this summer short of acquiring Crosby or McDavid would change that.

It’s going to take wins.

I would agree to an extent but off season moves on ice and coaching could give it a bump. Wins are only way to sustain that.

16 minutes ago, 7+6=13 said:

Totally understand why you'd say this but it's definitely not a good thing.

I honestly think we’ve officially gotten into boycott territory. If enough fans boycotted the team we could force the Pegula’s into changing their operating style or selling.

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

I’m sure the STH renewal numbers will be a closely guarded secret, but I expect them to drop by 2k-3k. 

Good thing if Terry needs money, he will just drill another well...right?

They consider STH as full season, and mini pack holders. IF they release the numbers, you and a few others won’t believe the numbers, so there’s that. Unless of course the numbers embarrass the owners. Then you’ll believe it. Amirite?

I would bet there won’t be more than a 10-15% drop in STH’ers. I’ve been a STH since 2004, and I won’t cancel mine. And I know 12 out of 14 other STH’ers I know who aren’t either. So there’s that.

8 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

They consider STH as full season, and mini pack holders. IF they release the numbers, you and a few others won’t believe the numbers, so there’s that. Unless of course the numbers embarrass the owners. Then you’ll believe it. Amirite?

I would bet there won’t be more than a 10-15% drop in STH’ers. I’ve been a STH since 2004, and I won’t cancel mine. And I know 12 out of 14 other STH’ers I know who aren’t either. So there’s that.

Only time will tell.  Terry and Kim appreciate your loyalty...i hope they reward you by jacking up prices again.  

For the record,   I have been in a group that has shared 4 tickets since the early 2000’s.   We had been losing people over the last four years, and 19-20 was the last of the remaining members of the group. 

They stole enough money from me over the last decade.  That game has come to an end. 

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Only time will tell.  Terry and Kim appreciate your loyalty...i hope they reward you by jacking up prices again.  

For the record,   I have been in a group that has shared 4 tickets since the early 2000’s.   We had been losing people over the last four years, and 19-20 was the last of the remaining members of the group. 

They stole enough money from me over the last decade.  That game has come to an end. 

Kind of harsh here but agree that something has to give. We use to drive to Buffalo (3.5 hours) every year for a game. And before the Harborcenter we would drive right back home. We would spend about $800 a year on those trips. Those days are done.

My wife says I’m loyal as a dog but where’s the scooby snacks ? There’s no good reason to still follow the team of my youth. But I do. And without the reward. I don’t really understand it myself. Its been real hard watching Terry and Kim run this once proud franchise into the ground. 

• Like (+1) 4

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

I'm on the fence with my season tix. Don't split with anyone, go to 27-30 games, sell or gift/give away the rest.

Glutton for punishment, I guess

I believe a significant drop in season tickets will happen and THE SABRES KNOW IT IS COMING.

The Sabres are squirming at the prospect of trying to sell tickets of any kind next year. None of their BS promotions/gimmicks have worked with ticket sales and now more of their loyal fans are going to turn their backs on them. If you're a season ticket holder, and you decline to renew your season tickets, WHAT IS YOUR RISK?....NOTHING !       Those tickets will be there the next year if you want them, there are no waiting lists to buy season tickets. 

There will always be people that go regardless (I've been in that group for countless seasons) but it will get worse for them and if they say anything differently they are liars.

Think about this also....

Imagine the conversation with the featured advertisers. The advertisers are not going to be happy with declining viewership, declining attendance . Pegulas are going to lose money on the advertising.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I honestly think we’ve officially gotten into boycott territory. If enough fans boycotted the team we could force the Pegula’s into changing their operating style or selling.

If enough fans do what you suggest,  then that's a bad thing.  Hurting them financially, while certainly understandable and our decision, won't help the team.  

2 hours ago, 7+6=13 said:

If enough fans do what you suggest,  then that's a bad thing.  Hurting them financially, while certainly understandable and our decision, won't help the team.  

It’s been a decade, enough is enough. These bafoons have turned our once proud franchise into a laughingstock. As fans we have only one logical option for change. 

Edited by I-90 W
Typo

Before I buy tickets, I need to see positive moves which I deem correct.  If the coaching, line-up, and farm team look acceptable, I will get tickets and take my risks.  I am still a fan, after all.

You can question my character, intelligence, or whatever all you want.  The stress relief of just being just another fan for 3 hours for 40+ times instead of an n-word, towel-headed terrorist, a deliberate spreader of the China virus, destroyer of America, or being deemed unamerican because it is only the country of my birth (depending on the year, context, and situation) is worth a couple grand to me.  It beats the hell out of bursting into a rage or into tears because of all the discrimination, finger-pointing, angry looks, or flat out threats I deal with then I leave the house.

Edited by Marvin, Sabres Fan
Clarity.
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 hours ago, Zamboni said:

The Sabres are the only team to my knowledge who were given the OK to let in fans and only did so for select dates. The first game letting in fans drew just over 300 people. If you don't think the STH base is going to implode then you are just ignoring reality. This is the worst organization in the modern history of the sport and it's only going to get worse until the Pegulas are no longer owners because not only haven't they learned from their mistakes they feel like they haven't done anything wrong.

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that horrible in-lay thing where the game gets smaller for an advertisement every 4 or 5 minutes.  Not only was the actual hockey unwatchable but, the broadcast itself seemed so amateur.  I totally get trying to get as much money as possible from advertising but--- it was on a timer and would happen at the most inopportune times.  

I literally would look away each time because I found it so unbelievably distracting.  I think it's further proof of just how amateur the people running Sabres really are to green light that.  If they do it again next year--- I'll watch the other teams broadcast---if I watch at all!!  

• Like (+1) 2

34 minutes ago, tpowenski said:

I'm surprised that no one has mentioned that horrible in-lay thing where the game gets smaller for an advertisement every 4 or 5 minutes.  Not only was the actual hockey unwatchable but, the broadcast itself seemed so amateur.  I totally get trying to get as much money as possible from advertising but--- it was on a timer and would happen at the most inopportune times.  

I literally would look away each time because I found it so unbelievably distracting.  I think it's further proof of just how amateur the people running Sabres really are to green light that.  If they do it again next year--- I'll watch the other teams broadcast---if I watch at all!!  

Welcome to the board!

Here’s hoping that during play advertisements were only for this past season 

18 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

LOL, what did they expect?  I'm surprised it wasn't greater.  My guess is that late season play improved even worse numbers.  

Fans stuck by the team through the tank years.  Why is this different? 

9 minutes ago, inkman said:

Fans need a Purpose and were given it during the tank years. Most fans seemed to be on board and yes they lost, but they lost successfully. Failing even after bringing in Hall (remember the excitement), that 10th straight year of missing the playoffs...I think it caught up to some fans - more than normal - it seemed ridiculous our offense could possibly be mediocre never mind poor - yet that's what happened. Get bit enough and eventually people will stop putting their hand out there. 

Speaking of the tank/rebuild - I don't doubt Adams is leaning rebuild at this point and the idea he can get the fans to buy in on that isn't the most ludicrous thought. They probably learned from the "if we get Hall, that means we are competing for the Cup" vibes all those off-season vids gave off - Adams from his interviews has already consciously been lowering expectations. 

Edited by Thorny

27 minutes ago, inkman said:

Tank fatigue.  A two year tank was ok because it had hope for better players and a future, but after a decade of mismanagement coupled another terrible team was the last straw. I also wonder if the Bills success is part of the disgust with the Sabres.

We can still hire a plane to fly a banner past PSE HQ that reads Pegulas: Sell the Sabres or similar. Cost is $3500. I can't do it myself but will chip in if anyone else (rich) is interested. I actually got a price quote from a Buffalo company...The Pegulas are so blind to how spittin' mad and embarrassed the fans are because of their inept management. Maybe a plane with a banner and national media covering it might make them think twice.

1 hour ago, Kong said:

We can still hire a plane to fly a banner past PSE HQ that reads Pegulas: Sell the Sabres or similar. Cost is $3500. I can't do it myself but will chip in if anyone else (rich) is interested. I actually got a price quote from a Buffalo company...The Pegulas are so blind to how spittin' mad and embarrassed the fans are because of their inept management. Maybe a plane with a banner and national media covering it might make them think twice.

I will chip in for this if it becomes a thing and we tag Sabrespace on it lol

Not something like "sell the team", mind you. Just something funny and inoffensive 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Kong said:

A boycott on tickets and tv ratings will be even more effective, long lasting, and free. If it goes deep enough a boycott would make even more media attention.

I don’t want the Pegulas to sell the team…

Going forward, I just want them to stay out of hockey decisions and just write checks. Unless some decision is massively wrong. So much so that it requires a firing of a GM. Other than that stay out of hockey decisions. I also find nothing wrong with them being briefed through phone calls or zoom meetings or in person meetings about the state of the organization and hockey team. And they are more than welcome to give their opinion… With the understanding that those opinions may not be adhered to or followed. Because they are leaving the decisions 100% up to hockey people.

”but but but don’t you think their opinions will influence the direction of the teams decisions”.
it could, unless the GM 100% agrees with their opinion as well. just because they are in agreement doesn’t mean that the GM is following exactly what the owners want because they said so. 

key word … moving forward …

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.