Jack Eichel Presser on Monday 5-10-21

Brawndo

34 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I just watched the full 24-minute presser.  There is no doubt in my mind that Eichel wants out (no kidding!) and is completely sideways with KA.

I also think it's not impossible that after a cooling-off period, if the Sabres take positive steps (credible coach and FO moves, goaltending, extension for Reino, etc.), the relationship could be repaired and he could stay.

But I think it's more likely that KA has decided -- as many GMs have done and will do so again -- that if Eichel doesn't want to be here, it will be better for the team to move him out.  So I think it's more likely that he is traded.

And with that, the Hindenburg-level debacle that was the tank will reach its final chapter.

I like a good story more than anything, and The Tank ending like this could be the kind of thing you make a documentary out of that would make The Four Falls an enjoyable watch by comparison. 

36 minutes ago, nfreeman said:

Well, I just watched the full 24-minute presser.  There is no doubt in my mind that Eichel wants out (no kidding!) and is completely sideways with KA.

I also think it's not impossible that after a cooling-off period, if the Sabres take positive steps (credible coach and FO moves, goaltending, extension for Reino, etc.), the relationship could be repaired and he could stay.

But I think it's more likely that KA has decided -- as many GMs have done and will do so again -- that if Eichel doesn't want to be here, it will be better for the team to move him out.  So I think it's more likely that he is traded.

And with that, the Hindenburg-level debacle that was the tank will reach its final chapter.

It can't be repaired. He doesn't trust the Sabres medical staff anymore (and he may be right) Once that is gone, the player is gone. It is very identical to the Lindros situation in Philly. Once that trust is gone, the player is usually moved.

39 minutes ago, kas23 said:

Completely odd. What’s even more strange is that Jack is talking about this to reporters. 

For the record, it’s hard to have an opinion on this one. We don’t know the facts. There’s only 2 things we know; Sabres medical staff recommended surgery AND Jack Eichel disagrees with them. I think most of agree Jack should’ve kept his thoughts to himself. 

I thought it was the other way around, the Sabres staff did not recommend surgery, but Jack's own Doctor did, and Jack wants the surgery. Did I misread an article?

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I read this and I had to look this up. You have it backwards on who wants surgery.

from the Athletic...

Thanks for posting. That's what I thought I had read.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

The point is the Sabres would be the ones to choose to void the contract or not, not Jack. If the surgery went well they wouldn't void it

Or it goes so-so and they take him to court to change the terms of his contract, not release him, just pay him less (or he collects the same paycheck but has to pay $X million settlement back to Uncle Pennybags).

44 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Is that really an issue? I'm thinking Cozens, Mitts, Alsplund, etc. Who was a total bust?

Nylander, Grigorenko, Girgensons in the first. Some 2nds that never even came close to being NHL players.

After reading Vogl's articles and after reading the recommendations of the North American Spine Society and numerous other sources, we as fans can assume that the Sabres will point at the best practises -- over 90% of the time, surgery is not necessary and, moreover, may not work.  The biggest minus from Eichel's point of view is that weightlifting is out while going the Sabres' way and heavy aerobics is discouraged.  So waiting the way the Sabres want it means he won't be in shape by training camp.  The surgery is likely to have him in game shape sooner.

If there is a grievance from the NHLPA, how do they have a leg to stand on?  The Sabres have best practises on their side.

• Like (+1) 2

I have been off the grid all day. I landed in San Juan this afternoon. I've got an ocean view room a the mother ***** Hilton. Imy halfway through with a bottle of Bacardi that I picked up straight from the distillery. I had mofongo made by a thousand year old woman from plantains that came off a tree out back.

This thread is the most delicious dessert ever. It's so ***** good!

• Thanks (+1) 1

Just now, Scottysabres said:

We need a meme with Risto, Jake, Linus, Sam and Jack in it saying "oh the humanity" as they're walking out 9f the arena doors.

I was wondering if I could add a pic of Jack in the hatch and proclaim him the Ultimate Tank Commander....

• Haha (+1) 1

I really wonder who is going to write the best book about this Sabres era when it's all said and done. It's going to take a while for everyone to cycle through the league, but in twenty years it'll be a must read (assuming it's done by then).

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, kas23 said:

There’s no touchy-feely stuff here. He has a contract. He can honor it, or he can not honor it. He has complete control over what happens to his body though, not his boss. But, there may be consequences to his decision. All decisions have potential consequences. 

btw, my employees love me. None of them would’ve got to the point of Eichel. But, since he’s aired his laundry in public, he’s now going to face brutal criticism. 

I’m a physician btw and you would be shocked. Not saying you are wrong though. But, it seems everyone has taken a class from Google Medical School nowadays. I wouldn’t be completely surprised if Jack got a second opinion, who then recommended surgery. Jack goes home and Googles it and reads about some success stories and begins to idealize this option. 

Or you can be like me with a “severe” case of c6/c7 disc degeneration that has seen the best neurosurgeons at Mayo, in Dallas and Vegas. Surgeons who are current on the newest technologies to use from surgical standpoint and who also undo operation mishaps from sub-standard surgeons.

All exceptional surgeons communicate one important theme; MRI’s are all well and good (I have had Head, Neck, Neck Soft Tissue), but the key is how the patient presents himself symptomatically. Period. You can have a terrible looking MRI, but if you are not presenting symptoms then any reputable surgeon would not advise surgery. Conversely, if you do present symptoms in a situation such as this, even a knowledgeable surgeon would strongly consider micro disc strategy.

Oh, and I am pretty sure I was googling as I was going through the process but let the standout surgeons make the call. 

Those thinking Eichel is merely googling are either idiots or hardly understand the stakes for him personally. Jack has always been hard core about taking care of his body. With his career on the line, I am sure he is only googling for the advice 👀

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

Taylor Hall just needs to shut up and not even talk about the Sabres ever again! 

He was definitely asked. And he's probably an expert on what it's like to be in that locker room and get steamrolled by bad juju.

1 hour ago, Let's Go B-Lo said:

Nylander. The entire second round other than possibly Asplund. Everyone after that other than Olofsson and MAYBE Bryson.

Ya, the Nylander draft was a disaster . 

JBot's drafts actually don't look too bad though. Still a number of solid possibles in the mix from them. We could end up with 2-3 pros from each and that's decent. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.