• Staal (UFA)
    • McCabe (UFA)
    • Montour (UFA)
    • Ullmark (UFA)
    • Rieder (UFA)
    • Sheahan (UFA)
    • Girgensons

This poll is closed to new votes

I wonder if Okposo is going to get an elevated role this year - less LOG line usage and more two-way deployment riding shotgun with one of our young centres.

Our PP really concerns me.

Olofsson and Dahlin will be in the regular spots and Dahlin will really have to take charge.

Who goes into Jack’s spot? R2 has the best skillset but he’s a lefty. So is Casey. Thompson has the big shot. Can Cozens QB? Miller? Butcher has had some success there, but he’s another lefty. Do Skinner and Okposo get another shot?

Lot of unproven and mismatched pieces.

Edited by dudacek

8 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What did Cozens do last year to convince you he is more ready for the top center job then Mitts.  Outside of Reinhart, Mitts was our best forward the 2nd half of the year.  He played in all situations and helped Asplund and Thompson unlock their potential.  Cozens faded down the stretch.  I can actually see Cozens being our 3rd center behind Mitts and Routsalainen.

Nothing, I'd put Mitts above Cozens right now

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

What did Cozens do last year to convince you he is more ready for the top center job then Mitts.  Outside of Reinhart, Mitts was our best forward the 2nd half of the year.  He played in all situations and helped Asplund and Thompson unlock their potential.  Cozens faded down the stretch.  I can actually see Cozens being our 3rd center behind Mitts and Routsalainen.

Nothing.  I just thought Cozens might match up better with Skinner than Mittelstadt primarily because Mittelstadt has played with Skinner in the past without much success.  I do like Mittelstadt and was happy to see him improve last year.

Like I said I don't see us having a #1 line this season so the order could be changed between the lines.  I just am speculating who may have the best chemistry playing together.

1 minute ago, Digger said:

Nothing.  I just thought Cozens might match up better with Skinner than Mittelstadt primarily because Mittelstadt has played with Skinner in the past without much success.  I do like Mittelstadt and was happy to see him improve last year.

Like I said I don't see us having a #1 line this season so the order could be changed between the lines.  I just am speculating who may have the best chemistry playing together.

That's reasonable.  It would be hard to tell DB to break up Thompson, Asplund and Mitts after their play together last season.  

Honestly, this camp should be one of the most interesting in many years.  So many forwards and so few known combinations.  I can't even say for sure who will be at center besides Mitts next season.  

Skinner, VO, Caggiula, Bjork can play either wing.  Girgensons, Eakin, Cozens, R2, Asplund, Mitts and Hinostroza can play wing or center.  Thompson was drafted as center but has played RW in the NHL.  KO can play up and down the lineup with the right center and his scoring touch returned once DB became coach.  I can also see C's like Hayden or MacInnis forcing their way onto this team.  We may see 1000 line combos in camp.

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Zamboni said:

If Cozens turns out to be our #1 center , he’s gonna be eaten alive. My god…

Screw proper development. Yikes.

Yeah.  Thinking about it Mitts should be our top centre.

Baring unforseen developments, of course.

Cozens should be on line 2, I think.

7 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Also Ruotsalainen is gonna be very interesting to watch

He is the guy who is best-positioned to “come out of nowhere” for us.

Smart hockey poolers should be looking at him in the late rounds.

Edited by dudacek

7 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yeah.  Thinking about it Mitts should be our top centre.

Baring unforseen developments, of course.

Cozens should be on line 2, I think.

7 hours ago, dudacek said:

He is the guy who is best-positioned to “come out of nowhere” for us.

Smart hockey poolers should be looking at him in the late rounds.

In our hot takes thread, I predicted that R2 would lead the team in ES goals.

What is the Sabres' current cap hit without Eichel?  If it is low enough, I wonder if KA is trying to make a return of current salary in an Eichel deal acceptable to Pegula because it would be needed to reach the cap floor.  No pure cap dumps, mind you, but maybe an overpaid contract or two.

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

What is the Sabres' current cap hit without Eichel?  If it is low enough, I wonder if KA is trying to make a return of current salary in an Eichel deal acceptable to Pegula because it would be needed to reach the cap floor.  No pure cap dumps, mind you, but maybe an overpaid contract or two.

https://www.capfriendly.com/teams/sabres

• Thanks (+1) 1

9 hours ago, I-90 W said:

I think Jack will still be on our team this season, possibly all the way up til the trade deadline. Have no idea when he will be playing though due to the injury/ surgery situation. 

If Jack is on the team, he’s 3C to help inflate his numbers against lesser competition.

After all, KA said he didn’t want anyone blocking the development of the prospects. 

1 hour ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

We are near $53 mil.  If Jack is traded we are down to about 43 mill without taking contracts back.  The cap floor is 60.2 mill.  We need 8 mill already to get to the floor.  18 mill if Jack is trade before the season starts.  I figure our RFAs will cost about 10 mill, unless KA buys some of Dahlins FA years.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

I was looking at the poll and 11 players from the list are already gone.

Reinhart, Ristolainen, Montour, Hall, Lazar and Staal were traded.  Borgen was lost to expansion.  Ullmark and McCabe were lost in free agency.  Reider and Sheahan were not re-signed (so far).  Hutton and Irwin are also gone, but were not listed.  

The replacements: Hagg, Butcher, Pysyk, Dell, Anderson, Hinostroza, Bjork, MacInnis, Hayden, and possibly Power.

9 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Reinhart, Ristolainen, Montour, Hall, Lazar and Staal were traded.  Borgen was lost to expansion.  Ullmark and McCabe were lost in free agency.  Reider and Sheahan were not re-signed (so far).  Hutton and Irwin are also gone, but were not listed.  

The replacements: Hagg, Butcher, Pysyk, Dell, Anderson, Hinostroza, Bjork, MacInnis, Hayden, and possibly Power.

Hagg and Butcher are LHD. It is a really good indication that Owen Power will go back to college, like he should. 

7 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Or they can do what TB did with Hedman.  Sign him, have him in practice and ease him into the lineup.  

Let him go to Michigan. Be a big fish on a powerhouse team, play in the WJCs and hopefully a long run in the Frozen Four.  He is 18 and needs to grow his game. Starting in the NHL at 19-20 years of age with that critical extra year of development will be huge for him.

• Like (+1) 3

17 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

my guess is BOrgen is back when waived by Seattle  no way he makes the opening night roster

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.