• McCabe (UFA)
    • Montour (UFA)
    • Ullmark (UFA)
    • Rieder (UFA)
    • Sheahan (UFA)
    • Girgensons

This poll is closed to new votes

18 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

Will Quinn make the lineup?  How about Arttu Ruotsalainen?

Quinn depends on the off season.  He has the talent but I would suspect that the team would want him in a winning atmosphere with Rochester this season.

Ruotsalainen will be on the team.  It wouldn't surprise me to see him get a look at center for a few games especially if we don't get another center added to the lineup.  I'm thinking he may have some chemistry with Asplund with both having the ability to play the center position.  Maybe Olofsson could improve his 5 on 5 scoring playing together with them.

Arttu Ruotsalainen

https://thehockeywriters.com/sabres-ruotsalainen-breakout-potential-2021-22/

After Don Granato took over as the interim head coach, Ruotsalainen scored at a 24-goal pace over an 82-game season. He has produced at all levels so far in his career, and there is reason to believe he will only get better.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks (+1) 1

Who is the best center to play with Skinner this season (with the current players we have on the roster excluding Eichel)?  I just wonder who has the best chemistry with him.  Mittelstadt did not have much success playing with him in the past.  Cozens?

What's the best line for Skinner and why?

6 minutes ago, Digger said:

Who is the best center to play with Skinner this season (with the current players we have on the roster excluding Eichel)?  I just wonder who has the best chemistry with him.  Mittelstadt did not have much success playing with him in the past.  Cozens?

Who is our most skilled C not named Eichel? I'd say that's Cozens , no? LW Jeff Skinner-C Dylan Cozens-RW Vinnie Hinostroza on line #2? LW Victor Olofsson-C Casey Middlestadt-RW Tage Thompson on line #1 if Jack isn't able to play or wont play.

13 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Nice strawman. 

His skill and play style doesn’t overcome his size. He will score, but always be a negative overall

Not a strawman. You are specifically using his size as a reason for him not to succeed. The base of your argument is his size so literally not a strawman. 

17 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Nice strawman. 

His skill and play style doesn’t overcome his size. He will score, but always be a negative overall

He played last year. Because of his inexperience he still has room to improve. But I never got the sense that he was overmatched. Quite the opposite: He was a player that can be a contributor in the NHL. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, MISabresFan said:

Will Quinn make the lineup?  How about Arttu Ruotsalainen?

Quinn- maybe, but doubt it.

Routsalainen- almost definitely 

2 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Can’t handle the big boys, will put up points but will also be running around as other teams too lines feast and score goals. Career AHLer

You think he doesn’t play defense in favor of focusing on offense?

1 hour ago, Digger said:

56 minutes ago, GoPuckYourself said:

Who is our most skilled C not named Eichel? I'd say that's Cozens , no? LW Jeff Skinner-C Dylan Cozens-RW Vinnie Hinostroza on line #2? LW Victor Olofsson-C Casey Middlestadt-RW Tage Thompson on line #1 if Jack isn't able to play or wont play.

I'll buy that for a look and a try.  When I look at the potential lineup combos for next season Skinner has been the hardest for me to visualize a match for without Eichel.  Let's hope Skinner can return closer to his potential this year and have some chemistry with one of the young centers.

5 hours ago, triumph_communes said:

Ruotsolainen is so overrated

FYI:  I posted this is prospects thread, but it should give you a point of reference on R2's potential.

Here is a comparison for you

Age 22 Season

VO (SHL) - 50gms 27g 16a 43 pts - .86 pts/gm

R2 (Liiga) - 44gms 15g 28a 43 pts - .98 pts/gm 

Age 23 season

VO (AHL) 66gm 30g 33a 63 pts - .96 pts/gm

VO (NHL) 6 gms 2g 2a 4pts - .67 pts/gm 

R2 (Liiga) 19gm 16g 11a 27 pts - 1.42 pts/gm

R2 (AHL) 13gm 5g 8a 13 pts - 1 pt/gm

R2 (NHL) 17gm 5g 1a 6 pts - .35 pts/gm

They have taken very similar paths to the NHL.  VO's full rookie year at 24 produced 42 pts in 54 games but 11 of the 20 goals and 17 of the 42 pts came on the PP. R2 received no PP time last season, but is now primed to get PP time this coming fall.  

VO is listed at 5'11 182 by the Sabres

R2 is listed at 5'9' 185 by the Sabres.   

I don't see him getting pushed of the puck much.

Also the team just added Caggiula - 5'10" 176, Hinostroza 5'10" 177 and honestly R2 is already better then both of these players.

3 hours ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

FYI:  I posted this is prospects thread, but it should give you a point of reference on R2's potential.

VO is listed at 5'11 182 by the Sabres

R2 is listed at 5'9' 185 by the Sabres.   

I don't see him getting pushed of the puck much.

Also the team just added Caggiula - 5'10" 176, Hinostroza 5'10" 177 and honestly R2 is already better then both of these players.

And both players are 3rd line ceilings. 

28 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

And both players are 3rd line ceilings. 

What’s your issue with the way Routsalainen plays?  You think he plays only on the perimeter, soft, and doesn’t play defense?

I’m just trying to clarify because your criticisms have been a bit vague and mixed up with his size and nationality.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.