• Staal (UFA)
    • McCabe (UFA)
    • Montour (UFA)
    • Ullmark (UFA)
    • Rieder (UFA)
    • Sheahan (UFA)
    • Girgensons

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm wondering whether next year is going to be another year of the same core(Eichel, Reinhart, Risto, Skinner, Dahlin, Okposo, McCabe, Ullmark...I'm not sure who else should be considered part of the core).  Obviously they are stuck with Skinner, but do any of the other core pieces get shipped out?

Not sure how much good it does to keep swapping out bottom 6 forwards or bottom pair dmen.

I don't know if and where we've talked about protecting players, but I don't really want to expose one of Dahlin, Risto, Borgen, Joki. A post on hfboards reminded me of something I've thought about.

I wonder if Skinner would waive his NMC to be exposed, on the understanding that an expansion team wouldn't want his contract (or maybe he'd rather get out of here?). Then you don't need to use a forward slot on him and you can go the 4-4-1 route, protecting Jack-Sam-Victor-Mitts-Risto-Borgen-Dahlin-Joki. This way you're probably losing Miller. 

I have no idea if Skinner would be likely to do this, but I'd hope he'd understand that it can make the team he's playing on a little better.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thorny said:

You’d have to bet your entire livelihood on the belief they wouldn’t take you, though, and if you didn’t want to move, to the other coast, that contract is long.

I can't imagine preferring living in Buffalo to living in Seattle.

😜

7 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I can't imagine preferring living in Buffalo to living in Seattle.

Maybe not IN Seattle but the surrounding area, no doubt. 

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Next year... 

Skinner - Eichel - idc

idk - Reinhart - Fogarty

Olofsson - Cozens - Okposo (he's looked good?)

idk - Mitts - Lazar

Eakin and Tage are the extra

lol I am being sarcastic but here we go. 

You can do better than that, Skinner-Jack-??......... Olofsson-Cozens-Samson..... Fogarty-Mitts-Tage........ Rieder-Lazar-Okposo/Sheehan

Skinner needs Jack more than Jack needs anyone, Cozens continues to grow and Samson gives him a vet to play with, 3rd line hopefully continues to grow together and the speed of Rieder and Lazar helps Okposo be the trailer because he won't be the front man of that group. Must get a GK.

7 minutes ago, jsb said:

Maybe not IN Seattle but the surrounding area, no doubt. 

You can do better than that, Skinner-Jack-??......... Olofsson-Cozens-Samson..... Fogarty-Mitts-Tage........ Rieder-Lazar-Okposo/Sheehan

Skinner needs Jack more than Jack needs anyone, Cozens continues to grow and Samson gives him a vet to play with, 3rd line hopefully continues to grow together and the speed of Rieder and Lazar helps Okposo be the trailer because he won't be the front man of that group. Must get a GK.

No I'm putting Sam at center

1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

Next year... 

Skinner - Eichel - idc

idk - Reinhart - Fogarty

Olofsson - Cozens - Okposo (he's looked good?)

idk - Mitts - Lazar

Eakin and Tage are the extra

lol I am being sarcastic but here we go. 

No, just no

How about

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Olofsson Reinhart ???? (Gusev)?

R2  Mitts Thompson/Fogarty

Girgensons Lazar Okposo

Eakin

Just now, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, just no

How about

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Girgensons Lazar Okposo

Eakin

If olofsson is in your top 6, the team has issues

Also Cozens needs to be at center. 

3 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No, just no

How about

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Girgensons Lazar Okposo

Eakin

Do you think it's possible or acceptable to go an entire offseason, after this season, making no outside additions to the forward group, assuming we pick up Gusev now?

That would be the dumbest thing this organization has ever done, which is saying something.

Like, this is literally the 2020-21 Sabres

Edited by Randall Flagg
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I don't necessarily disagree.  

Skinner Eichel Cozens

Mitts Reinhart ????? Gusev

R2 Beniers Olofsson

Girgensons Lazar Okposo

Eakin

If this is the forwards, KA will have gone backwards from the perception of the unit at the time he added Hall. Hall for a rookie. There are threads about this being the worst team of all time..if this is the F, we better add 3 top 3 d men and a 1A to Ullmark’s 1B

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

If this is the forwards, KA will have gone backwards from the perception of the unit at the time he added Hall. Hall for a rookie. There are threads about this being the worst team of all time..if this is the F, we better add 3 top 3 d men and a 1A to Ullmark’s 1B

This is the forwards we have to work with right now plus a few guys like Beniers and Gusev who reasonably could be Sabres next year.  This is far from what we’ll see in the Fall.  For example I have Reinhart at center.  This is where he is current playing and if continues to thrive there for the rest of the season then the odds he plays there next year rise dramatically.  If not he is still our top RW.  I also have VO on the roster, but I think he’ll get traded in the off-season. 

We are also playing a very mobile group of D right now and they seem to be playing better. This group consists of Risto, Bryson, Dahlin, Montour, Miller and Jokiharju.  Only Risto, Bryson and Miller are under contract for next year.  Except Montour, who is gone soon and Bryson, who is a mainstay going forward, I can see arguments for or against the remaining guys returning.  

This evaluation camp will go along way to help with those decisions. 

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

6 minutes ago, Crusader1969 said:

2 UFA’s I’d be interested Hyman and Laughton 

3 minutes ago, dudacek said:

They are the type of hungry players I expect Adams to target.

What would we expect those guys to cost?  2-4 years at around $4M?

Just a rough guesstimate.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.