Kim Pegula background...

LabattBlue

Just now, Randall Flagg said:

I mean this endearingly, but when I see him standing by Kim in public/at press conferences I picture an 8 year old accompanying his mom to work 

She does have a much larger presence that TP.  He’s a reluctant leader if I ever saw one. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, sabills said:

Not sure you could call me young, but I'm a millenial so maybe I count. 'Woke' as I may be, I think its a fair question. To Kim's credit, she did have that time at "Fracking USA", and I think she was also involved with Black River, their country music label. If nothing else she's been doing what she's doing at PSE for close to a decade now, and there's no reason to assume she's done any less than Terry, even. 

I'd say its a fair question for most sports team owners, though, who by and large have nothing making them any more qualified to run a sports team than you or me.

I also tend to think most billionaires are basically frauds who started with money and then got lucky with their investments later, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, I guess. 

After reading this I need the whole shaker.  

• Thanks (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Nothing.  The answer is nothing.  Just like Tom Golisano, John Rigas, and Seymour Knox.  Just like John Henry, George Steinbrenner, Ralph Wilson, Shahid Khan, Paul Allen, (EDIT to add Delia Smith), whomever.  The Jerry Joneses and Wayne Gretzkys are very rare among pro sports owners.

We went through this a couple of years ago, btw.

All of the above are or were successful business owners first (some of them inherited wealth and opportunities and some of them created it or greatly expanded what they started with).  So they were establish in business.     Buying a team and hiring good people to run them is not trivial.  

Kim was probably more influential in Terry’s businesses than we will ever know. He seems to prefer her to be the face of the sport franchises because she will watch their interest closely while he plays with the Energy businesses.  The key for her is the same as for any owner - hire good people and create a good environment.  

Edited by Pimlach

It's not a misogynist thing, it's a meddling sports owner thing.

Terry and Kim are meddling owners of the absolute worst variety, and on top of it, neither is a knowledgable sports fan.

It's the reason we have been garbage for a decade, and it is the only reason we could be garbage for a decade.

The Bills have worked out for 2 reasons:  Terry got lucky when he hired McDermott, and then McDermott doubled down by getting Beane in the door....and 2) Terry got the hell out of the way because he knows nothing about football and isn't a fan of the sport to the extent he is a hockey fan.

Terry/Kim have never gotten out of the way in Sabreland and meddle in the team's business on a daily basis.

As long as they adopt this amateurish approach to the team, we will suck.

Get used to it! 

This is why I keep saying it would be great if they would sell; it's the fastest road to success.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mike Honcho said:

I dont know about anyone else, but i feel any owner of any team should be more like a silent partner and leave the running of the team to a hired professional. they should certainly be involved in any decision regardless financial stuff but the actual hockey game stuff, should not be touched by the owners. 

This Is not the sabres specifically, im saying every professional team.

Sure owners can be very knowledgeable, but unless the owner was a former player/coach, they shouldnt be involved in the operations

It's like when TP said, (from memory):  "If we get [Taylor] Hall, then we're not just thinking about making the playoffs; we're talking about going for the Stanley Cup".   That was a very naive statement, and has proven to be grossly inaccurate.   TP is not a hockey guy.  And we didn't hear KP say this kind of stuff either.  From the 1000 foot level, it really seems like TP is the "owner" and KP, as the wife, is day-to-day manager [AFAIK, we're not privy to any pre-nups et cetera which would preclude the typical 50%-50% split in any assets acquired in the marriage. So, AFAIK she is a de facto owner too].    GMKA was probably so tickled pink at having Hall wanting to come to Buffalo that he didn't have the nerve to explain to Terry that signing Hall put the team in a major cap bind for signing the complementary players that they obviously lack(tough, gritty, hard-to-play-against kind of guys).

I agree 100% that we need a president of hockey operations.  When they first bought the team, we had Patty, GMTM, and Craig Patrick as a hockey consultant.    Now we just have GMKA and an obviously tuned-out/incompetent  RaKru.     We went from great communicators, to poor communicators (Housley & JBot), to decent communicators.  It's not the communications per se, stupid; it's the hockey decisions.   But Terry says that communication is important while his own communication skills suck, and Kim rarely says much, especially not in an authoritative owner manner.  Maybe it's just because I don't live in Buffalo that I don't hear more of what they say and do. 

After watching my one annual free Sabres game, all I can say is that the Amerks are infinitely more exiting to watch.  AHL hockey is 2x the energy and 1/2 the emphasis on "systems".  It's like rockem-sockem, play-off pin-ball.  Just give Bryson some time in the NHL and this attitude will be likely drained out of him too.

Edited by etiennep99

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

Others are going to tackle the underlying elements of the question, so I will approach it at face value.

What qualifications do you need to be a president of a sports team?

It's not a trade where you need to show proficiency in a particular skill, like carpenter, or broadcaster, or hockey player. Nor is it a job that requires a specific degree of expertise or knowledge on a specific area like software developer, or lawyer or analytics director.

It basically requires you to lead people and make decisions, predominantly business decisions, so a social presence and a sharp mind and a business background Most importantly, you need the trust of the owner. From superficial viewing at least, Kim seems to check all those boxes.

If the bold is true, I agree with your conclusion. 

She qualified to be president, obviously. I'd be skeptical of her ability to be GM, though, if her position and Terry's are have lots of overlapping job duties with ones generally associated with the GM position. 

Edited by Thorny

3 hours ago, dudacek said:

How in the world does being being a football player on a good team qualify one to be the president of a huge entertainment business?

Then again, I don't think we had a thread questioning Pat Lafontaine's credentials, did we?

"Could be our Steve Yzerman"

Let's look at former GMs and their qualifications:

Punch Imlach: long history in the game as a player, coach and was a great GM (starting in AHL and working up).

John Anderson:was a scout working under Punch for 10 years in Toronto, and came over with Punch... [from Wikipedia] "was a Danish-Canadian former ice hockey executive who was the interim General Manager of the Buffalo Sabres from December 4, 1978, to June 11, 1979, taking his team to the 1979 playoffs."  [Lost 1980 US Presidential Election to Ronald Reagan, a distant third behind him and President Carter with only 7% of the vote --- 🙃 ]

Scotty Bowman: from Quebec (knew hockey culture), CHL coach, hockey legend as winning coach of Blues and Canadiens

Gerry Meahan: Born in the big TO,  won Memorial Cup with Marlboros in OHL, played pro for the Buffalo Sabres, got a law degree and did some work for Scotty, named Sabres AGM in 1984

John Muckler: played pro in the ECHL, started as player/coach way back in 1959, was assistant coach and then head coach to insanely successful Edmonton Oilers. Was Sabres head coach before taking over as GM. [We had a president in those days: Larry Quinn]

Darcy Regier: played in WHL, drafted by California and played for Cleveland Barons and some games for Islanders. Worked for legendary Al Arbour and Bill Torrey.  Was assistant Islanders GM under Don Maloney, and then interim GM for Islanders.

Tim Murray: NHL Scout, director of Player Personal, AHL GM, Ottawa AGM.

Jason Botterill: fringe NHL player, got MBA. Worked for NHL, worked as a scout, AHL GM, Penguins AGM.

Kevyn Adams: 1st round pick, won Stanley Cup as player, was player-agent briefly, assistant coach for Sabres, Sr VP of Business Admin for Sabres in 2019.  AND he is a LOCAL boy! Yay!

Does anyone not belong on this list?

Edited by etiennep99
More info on John Anderson
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, sabills said:

Thinking billionares are somehow better than us is basically everything that's wrong with America.

I 100% agree with this and also 100% don't know another way to acquire an NHL team over which I would be president because I'd, you know, own it.

Edited by Eleven

9 hours ago, sabills said:

Thinking billionares are somehow better than us is basically everything that's wrong with America.

It’s connected to the other thing that’s wrong with America - people taking credit for things their ancestors did before they were even born.  It makes no rational sense yet entire group identities are based on it.

9 hours ago, sabills said:

Thinking about billionaires whatsoever is the issue. Our money is tied to nothing, their billions mean nothing to us non-billionaires. 

14 hours ago, sabills said:

I never said anything like that. ^  I simply am skeptical of you opinion on owners, team presidents, and even billionaires.  I doubt you know even one personally.  You just lump them all in a nice convenient category.  It’s called stereotyping.  That is what you did.  

You said this - “ I also tend to think most billionaires are basically frauds who started with money and then got lucky with their investments later, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, I guess.”

You also took something you think I said and proclaimed it “Thinking billionaires are somehow better than us is basically everything that is wrong with America”.  

Both statements are ridiculous to me.  Even if I think billionaires are better than you or me,  which I don’t, it has nothing to do with what is wrong with America.   Your sense of scale is skewed.  

It’s not ok to dislike or disrespect someone just because of their wealth, or lack there of for that matter.   It’s also bad form to proclaim disagreements with your opinion as “what’s wrong with America”.    

Edited by Pimlach

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.