Kim Pegula background...

LabattBlue

Disclaimer...I’m not accusing her of meddling, and I’m not saying this because she is a woman.

What is it other than being the owners wife qualifies her to be head of PSE, and therefore President of two major league sports franchise in North America?

Her bio doesn’t go into what she did at Fracking USA, therefore I get the impression she had no major role there. 

• Like (+1) 1

Not sure you could call me young, but I'm a millenial so maybe I count. 'Woke' as I may be, I think its a fair question. To Kim's credit, she did have that time at "Fracking USA", and I think she was also involved with Black River, their country music label. If nothing else she's been doing what she's doing at PSE for close to a decade now, and there's no reason to assume she's done any less than Terry, even. 

I'd say its a fair question for most sports team owners, though, who by and large have nothing making them any more qualified to run a sports team than you or me.

I also tend to think most billionaires are basically frauds who started with money and then got lucky with their investments later, so take my opinion with a grain of salt, I guess. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nothing.  The answer is nothing.  Just like Tom Golisano, John Rigas, and Seymour Knox.  Just like John Henry, George Steinbrenner, Ralph Wilson, Shahid Khan, Paul Allen, (EDIT to add Delia Smith), whomever.  The Jerry Joneses and Wayne Gretzkys are very rare among pro sports owners.

We went through this a couple of years ago, btw.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1

In a court of law, I believe an attorney would have this line of questioning thrown out as it’s definitely leading.  As in leading your audience to get a desired outcome.  You are looking to “expose” Kim Pegula.  It’s hard not to think of this as blatantly sexist.  As @Eleven mentioned, it’s odd you don’t see this line of questioning for men owners, just Kim.  Terry, if anything, is just a qualified to own a team but I never hear people clamoring for his qualifications. 

Here are her qualifications to own and run sports team. She owns them. 

As a fellow FHS Red Raider alum, I will defend Kim at every opportunity.  Once a Raider, always a Raider. 

• Like (+1) 5

9 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nothing.  The answer is nothing.  Just like Tom Golisano, John Rigas, and Seymour Knox.  Just like John Henry, George Steinbrenner, Ralph Wilson, Shahid Khan, Paul Allen, whomever.  The Jerry Joneses and Wayne Gretzkys are very rare among pro sports ownership.

You missed the question. It wasn't what qualifies her to own a team. It's what qualifies her to be a team president.

• Like (+1) 5

13 minutes ago, Eleven said:

Nothing.  The answer is nothing.  Just like Tom Golisano, John Rigas, and Seymour Knox.  Just like John Henry, George Steinbrenner, Ralph Wilson, Shahid Khan, Paul Allen, whomever.  The Jerry Joneses and Wayne Gretzkys are very rare among pro sports ownership.

Yup. As the owner she can do what she wants because she owns them. 

What makes Kim or Terry eligible to be president of the team... well they own them, that's what. The rest is irrelevant. 

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

Disclaimer...I’m not accusing her of meddling, and I’m not saying this because she is a woman.

What is it other than being the owners wife qualifies her to be head of PSE, and therefore President of two major league sports franchise in North America?

Her bio doesn’t go into what she did at Fracking USA, therefore I get the impression she had no major role there. 

I don't have a problem with the question but the wording. They are married, they are both owners and Kim has always been a face of the owners with the Bills. 

What makes Kim or Terry qualified is simple, they have the money to do it. Lots of unqualified people with money do things they aren't qualified for. 

For the record you are literally saying "because she is a woman." The very next sentence after that is "being the owners wife" even though they are both the owners. SO since PA wants someone to be woke, the question is what makes Kim qualified to be head of PSE, it is completely irrelevant to add in the "being the owners wife" except to imply that she's a woman and can't do the job. It is like yesterday where Chz was asked to prove she was a woman, we don't ask the male members of this board to prove they are guys do we? 

She isn't the "owner's wife" because she is literally one of the 2 owners. 

Edited by LGR4GM
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, LabattBlue said:

What is it other than being the an owners wife that qualifies her to be head of PSE, and therefore President of two major league sports franchise in North America?

I took the liberty of fixing the above. She and Terry own the teams. That's the only qualification needed, strictly speaking.

Beyond that, I understand that she started with East Resources in 1991 after she graduated from Houghton with a degree in business or communications or something along those lines. So, prior to buying the Sabres, she had ~20 years in business -- not for nothing, that was a period of time during which that business became so valuable that, once sold, it launched she and Terry into the buh-billionaire territory where they now exist. Once East Resources was sold, she became CEO of some spin-off investment company that she and Terry own. She's also an independent director of at least one publicly traded company. 

I do think this is a line of inquiry that warrants honest self-reflection.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

In a court of law, I believe an attorney would have this line of questioning thrown out as it’s definitely leading.  As in leading your audience to get a desired outcome.  You are looking to “expose” Kim Pegula.  It’s hard not to think of this as blatantly sexist.  As @Eleven mentioned, it’s odd you don’t see this line of questioning for men owners, just Kim.  Terry, if anything, is just a qualified to own a team but I never hear people clamoring for his qualifications. 

As a fellow FHS Red Raider alum, I will defend Kim at every opportunity.  Once a Raider, always a Raider. 

You don't listen to me. You never listen to me. Go make me a sandwich.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You missed the question. It wasn't what qualifies her to own a team. It's what qualifies her to be a team president.

Her ownership of the team.  Just like the others I mentioned.  So nothing.

17 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Same is true for most owners of most professional sports teams.  There seems to be a particular focus/outrage on Kim.  I wonder why that is?

Generally speaking, the best way to make money in this world is to start out with money.

Are most owners also the team president, and not only of the highest position in the organization of one team, but multiple teams?

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

Are most owners also the team president, and not only of the highest position in the organization of one team, but multiple teams?

All of them are the highest authority.  Whether they call themselves president or emperor or owner or janitor doesn't matter.  Nevertheless, I think the answer to the question is "yes" but I'm not certain of it and I'm not going to spend time on it.

We went through THIS a couple of years ago, as well, in a thread which suggested multiple layers of upper management would somehow help.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, inkman said:

Terry isn't listed as the team president, Kim is.  Because of that I am coming to the conclusion that she is much more involved in the day to day business side of the organization.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

You don't listen to me. You never listen to me. Go make me a sandwich.

I do make a mean sando. I don’t listen. Just ask my wife. I got a Buffalo (sliced) chicken, salami with lacy swiss and dibellas styke sun oil waiting for me for lunch today.  Mmmmm...

Just now, Eleven said:

All of them are the highest authority.  Whether they call themselves president or emperor or owner or janitor doesn't matter.

We went through THIS a couple of years ago, as well, in a thread which suggested multiple layers of upper management would somehow help.

If you have such vivid memories of this thread from years ago, then there doesn't appear to be a need for you to comment further.  😉

• Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

Potayto, potahto.  

No. Money qualifies you to own something. It doesn't qualify you to run or manage that something.

She was not qualified to be a team president. There are so many people in this world who have worked their entire lives to get such a job. I imagine they kick a few telephone poles when someone like Kim cuts the line.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

They put the Bills and Sabres under the umbrella of a larger entity, PSE. She is the president of PSE so that makes her the president of both teams. I don't know how many owners have multiple teams in the big 4 sports. I would assume they are the top executive for each team although they could have separate "team presidents" under them. Either way the owners get final say. 

Just now, PASabreFan said:

No. Money qualifies you to own something. It doesn't qualify you to run or manage that something.

She was not qualified to be a team president. There are so many people in this world who have worked their entire lives to get such a job. I imagine they kick a few telephone poles when someone like Kim cuts the line.

Really depends on your use of the word qualify. Money certainly allows you to run or manage the thing you own how you want. 

Just now, PASabreFan said:

What do you think the job of team president is?  All a team president is, if not the owner, is someone else to fire.

6 minutes ago, That Aud Smell said:

I took the liberty of fixing the above. She and Terry own the teams. That's the only qualification needed, strictly speaking.

Beyond that, I understand that she started with East Resources in 1991 after she graduated from Houghton with a degree in business or communications or something along those lines. So, prior to buying the Sabres, she had ~20 years in business -- not for nothing, that was a period of time during which that business became so valuable that, once sold, it launched she and Terry into the buh-billionaire territory where they now exist. Once East Resources was sold, she became CEO of some spin-off investment company that she and Terry own. She's also an independent director of at least one publicly traded company. 

I do think this is a line of inquiry that warrants honest self-reflection.

If you're offended, Terry gets some of the blame. Funny, I didn't see Kim making remarks on 2/22/2011. She was not referred to as the owner. Her task? Go redecorate the lockerroom.

3 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

If you have such vivid memories of this thread from years ago, then there doesn't appear to be a need for you to comment further.  😉

I'm just mentioning that we had these discussions when you weren't active on the board.  If my answers bother you, I'm sure there's a way for you to mute me.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.