Kim Pegula background...

LabattBlue

4 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

They put the Bills and Sabres under the umbrella of a larger entity, PSE. She is the president of PSE so that makes her the president of both teams. I don't know how many owners have multiple teams in the big 4 sports. I would assume they are the top executive for each team although they could have separate "team presidents" under them. Either way the owners get final say. 

Really depends on your use of the word qualify. Money certainly allows you to run or manage the thing you own how you want. 

Allow, sure. Entitled, sure. The issue is QUALIFICATION.

Just now, PASabreFan said:

If you're offended, Terry gets some of the blame. Funny, I didn't see Kim making remarks on 2/22/2011. She was not referred to as the owner. Her task? Go redecorate the lockerroom.

What happened when the team bought the Bills? 

I'm not offended but it is hilarious to watch someone say "it isn't because she's a woman" and then follow that up with "owner's wife" like her occupation should be to be Terry's wife and not stick her nose into business. 

Just now, Eleven said:

I'm just mentioning that we had these discussions when you weren't active on the board.  If my answers bother you, I'm sure there's a way for you to mute me.

I've never blocked anyone and I'm not going to start now.  At times, I just need a subtle reminder to not engage certain posters.

1 minute ago, PASabreFan said:

Allow, sure. Entitled, sure. The issue is QUALIFICATION.

You seem to not either understand or realize that money, in and of itself, is a qualification. Kim owns the team, therefore she decides how it is run regards of her personal education/experiential qualifications. 

Just now, LGR4GM said:

I'm not offended but it is hilarious to watch someone say "it isn't because she's a woman" and then follow that up with "owner's wife" like her occupation should be to be Terry's wife and not stick her nose into business. 

The point is that owner's wife is exactly how she and Terry wanted to portray things on Day One.

Just now, LGR4GM said:

You seem to not either understand or realize that money, in and of itself, is a qualification. Kim owns the team, therefore she decides how it is run regards of her personal education/experiential qualifications. 

I guess I'm using a narrow definition of qualification. If I win the Powerball and buy a ski resort, I can decide to name my pothead nephew the manager of it. He's not qualified in any way. The snacks would be top-notch though.

I dont know about anyone else, but i feel any owner of any team should be more like a silent partner and leave the running of the team to a hired professional. they should certainly be involved in any decision regardless financial stuff but the actual hockey game stuff, should not be touched by the owners. 

This Is not the sabres specifically, im saying every professional team.

Sure owners can be very knowledgeable, but unless the owner was a former player/coach, they shouldnt be involved in the operations

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

You're going to nitpick over my choice of words instead of the question of the thread?  Knock yourself out.

Just now, LabattBlue said:

I've never blocked anyone and I'm not going to start now.  At times, I just need a subtle reminder to not engage certain posters.

You posted an extremely provocative question.  You had to know you were going to be unhappy with some of the responses.  Sorry that two of them came from me.

But the fact is, there is no qualification to be a team president.  If you're fortunate enough to own a team, you do what you want with it.

Whether she's meddling--that's something we don't know.  There are theories out there, and you know my position on them, and I won't repeat it here.

Whether she's "qualified" to be a team president?  That's easily answered.  She owns it; she's qualified to be president of it, whatever "president" means.  

Yup.  Kim can be President of the company, because she owns it.

I don’t think you are questioning the right of an owner to run an organization as President if they want to.  Clearly they can do as they please because they own it.

Your question is, does Kim Pegula have the professional experience and ability to do a competent job as a President of a large multi-organization company, sports teams specifically?

This is a fair question.  It should not be dismissed as sexist.  Especially in light of the embarrassing state of Sabres in particular, the question is extremely relevant and the job that the President has been doing is questionable at best.

Perhaps the “safer” and even more relevant question should be, is Kim Pegula doing a good job as President of the Buffalo Sabres?

Edited by Curt
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, PASabreFan said:

The point is that owner's wife is exactly how she and Terry wanted to portray things on Day One.

What happened when they bought the Bills? They were introduced as the owners, plural. Things clearly changed. Maybe when Terry bought the Sabres it was his purchase and when they bought the Bills, Kim was more involved or wanted to be. It would be like if my wife buys a new car versus if we buy a new car. In the first example she is the owner, in the second we are the owners. 

They clearly do not and have not wanted to portray things like that since owning the Bills. 

32 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Same is true for most owners of most professional sports teams.  There seems to be a particular focus/outrage on Kim.  I wonder why that is?

Generally speaking, the best way to make money in this world is to start out with money.

Instead of assuming that the OP is sexist, might you consider that this thread exists because the team she (and her better half) own and run is historically atrocious? Switch Kim and Terry in this scenario and the thread still gets started.

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

You're going to nitpick over my choice of words instead of the question of the thread?  Knock yourself out.

If you are going to drop casual sexism into a conversation that doesn't need it, yes. 

What makes Kim Pegulas qualified to be the president of PSE? There, simple question without all the other ***** you decided to add. Again, she is qualified because she owns it and chooses to do it. If you mean experience or education, she worked for a company for 30 years and has a degree in business communications. 

Instead of assuming that the OP is sexist, might you consider that this thread exists because the team she (and her better half) own and run is historically atrocious? Switch Kim and Terry in this scenario and the thread still gets started.

That would be correct.  Thank you.  

9 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If you're offended, Terry gets some of the blame. Funny, I didn't see Kim making remarks on 2/22/2011. She was not referred to as the owner. Her task? Go redecorate the lockerroom.

That's an odd thing to say. And perhaps a telling one too.

And implicating Terry - in order to deflect ownership of views expressed - is weak sauce.

Sure it does. I can imagine it now.... "What makes the owner's husband qualified to be president?" Lol who are you kidding? That would never be written and again, if the question is about qualifications than be up front about it and don't use "owner's wife" as a disparaging disqualification. 

• Like (+1) 1

Others are going to tackle the underlying elements of the question, so I will approach it at face value.

What qualifications do you need to be a president of a sports team?

It's not a trade where you need to show proficiency in a particular skill, like carpenter, or broadcaster, or hockey player. Nor is it a job that requires a specific degree of expertise or knowledge on a specific area like software developer, or lawyer or analytics director.

It basically requires you to lead people and make decisions, predominantly business decisions, so a social presence and a sharp mind and a business background Most importantly, you need the trust of the owner. From superficial viewing at least, Kim seems to check all those boxes.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

If you mean experience or education, she worked for a company for 30 years and has a degree in business communications. 

Please enlighten me.  What was her position/responsibilities within the fracking business for all of those years.  And oh by the way, we all know the worth of a business degree.  😂

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

One more time for the old folks in the back. You can ask why she qualified without dismissing her as "the owner's wife". 

1 minute ago, dudacek said:

From superficial viewing at least, Kim seems to check all those boxes.

I think that's right.

The better question, IMO, is should the Pegulas, singly or jointly, carry forward with their current breadth of responsibilities within PSE. And I think the answer to that is a resounding no.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

Just now, LabattBlue said:

Please enlighten me.  What was her position/responsibilities within the fracking business for all of those years.  And oh by the way, we all know the worth of a business degree.  😂

Don't know or care. She is qualified because she owns the team and decided she was qualified. I can disagree with her on that but she still gets to make the decision. I have seen very little that shows me she is incapable of being president of PSE. They clearly over-expanded but that happens a lot in business. They have taken steps to correct that. The Bills are purring along. The Sabres from what we know have been meddled in by Terry. 

What makes her disqualified to be president of PSE?

1 minute ago, That Aud Smell said:

I think that's right.

The better question, IMO, is should the Pegulas, singly or jointly, carry forward with their current breadth of responsibilities within PSE. And I think the answer to that is a resounding no.

Fair enough.  I agree with your answer 100%.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.