Ralph Krueger needs to go - like yesterday.

MODO Hockey

It's really going to happen, isn't it?

The Sabres will have, over the span of several years, missed out on all of Trotz, Laviolette, Quenneville, DeBoer, Boudreau, Julien, Gallant, because they needed to hang onto Housley and Krueger for whatever reasons

And we will be coached by either Krueger or Adam Mair in the fall

It's happening

10 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It doesn't matter if one is more impactful than the other - why does the barometer have to be to prove the BIGGEST issue as if there can only be ONE thing that's preventing us from winning? Make your arguments, I just don't understand the need to desire to try and boil it down to "The" problem. If we had a better team around the goalie, it would be costing us wins. The statistics say the backup goaltending has not been good enough to be that of a winning team. It's an issue going forward (and has been)

- - - 

Here are the stats:

We have 12 points in 11 games in the contests Ullmark has started. 

We have 3 points in 9 games in the contest Hutton has started. 

The idea the goaltending isn't costing us points is a myth. Whether by raw performance or the way the team is playing around the goalies in question, we are getting THREE TIMES the amount of points in games Ullmark played relative to Hutton. Of course it's making a difference towards winning! 1.09 points per games played w/ullmark, 0.33 with Hutton. 

This is a standings difference of 62 points over an 82 game season.

Of course you expect weaker performance from a backup, but the discrepancy in the output from the team depending on the goaltender is ridiculous.

And Adams expected to be relying on Hutton in a key back up role in a playoff race. Derp. 

No question our goaltending stinks.  Even with Ullmark in net, we are still below playoff contention standard.  However they are also getting zero help from the D and the forwards.  Getting out shot 2-1 each night puts any goaltender in an impossible situation.  

Edited by GASabresIUFAN

Just now, bob_sauve28 said:

And we had the lead late and the goalies gave up a terrible tying goal. We played very well, imo. 

I was drinking though, so...

That explains it! Hahaha. The flyers took 40 more shot attempts than us, which is lunacy. We were bad outside of finishing on a few key plays 

6 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

I haven't been.  I've been talking about the top 6 shooting% and our lack of EV scoring all season.  I agree with @bunomatic that an entire offense doesn't go into the tank like this without bad coaching, bad player usage and a bad system. 

We have found out one thing this season and that is Sam Reinhart is an truly excellent hockey player.  He can succeed in any system and have success with any player.  

And the failure to acquire good production and supplement areas of need.

What did @LGR4GMsay all offseason? The Sabres were "buying goals". It wasn't about paying for past goals, we were supposed to be buying future goals. Adams job is to find production in the future, evaluations of his performance can't hang their hat on him "trying" because he read the hockey DB page of the players he brought in. 

I don't see the goals. Where are the goals? Goals? Where are you...Kevin??

2 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

No question our goaltending stinks.  Even with Ullmark in net, we are still below playoff contention standard.  However they are also getting zero help from the D and the forwards.  Getting out shot 2-1 each night puts any goaltender in an impossible situation.  

That's why i used save percentage.

And yes, the rest of the team sucks too 

Edited by Thorny

Just now, Torpedo Forecheck said:

Do you believe they all just decided to have bad years, or they not as good as we need, or perhaps the system we play as any impact?

I think Jack is hurt, Staal and Skinner are bad, Victor is limited, the coach is in over his head, and the overall team psyche is incredibly fragile.

Hall, I'm mystified. He is a better player than his numbers, but he's not the star we were hoping for.

Krueger is a problem, and an easy one to address, but I think the fans want to blame him for everything because the alternative is harder to face.

Our problems run deeper than that.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Thorny said:

And the failure to acquire good production and supplement areas of need.

What did @LGR4GMsay all offseason? The Sabres were "buying goals".

I don't see the goals. Where are the goals? Goals? Where are you...Kevin??

That's why i used save percentage.

And yes, the rest of the team sucks too 

They did buy goals, the coach however locked the ability to get them away in a vault, tossed away the key, and then proceeded to tell everyone how awesome and positive everything is. 

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

They did buy goals, the coach however locked the ability to get them away in a vault, tossed away the key, and then proceeded to tell everyone how awesome and positive everything is. 

Adams kept the coach. He didn't buy goals. If he bought them, we'd be seeing some.

When you buy something, you get it. We didn't get it, we didn't buy it. 

He thought he bought it. 

Regardless of who is in goal, this team is 7-24 in its last 31 games.  4 regulation wins in its last 31 games.... 4!!!   To a man, this team has regressed to epic proportions under this soccer coach.  How in the hell does he still have a job?!?!  Some possible reasons:

1. Money issues for the Pegula "brain trust"

2. They haven't noticed because they are more focused on their daughters success with a little yellow ball

3. Krueger has some dirt on the Pegula's.

Lets face it, the team stinks.  The big $ forwards can't score.  The D is a offensive leaning group playing in a D first system and our goalies can't be relied on to make a key save when we need them.  Add to the mess a coach who makes terrible line choices, destroys player confidence by forcing square pegs into round holes, and who coaches an inflexible system that continually fails to put players in their best position to succeed.  Furthering adding fuel to the fire is an unqualified rookie GM who failed to address the glaring need for goalie improvement in the off-season or during the season so far and clearly lacks the authority to fire the terrible bully coach and what do you get? The Buffalo Sabres.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Torpedo Forecheck said:

So if our  backup goaltending was better everything would be alright? Ralph included?

If we had someone to be better than the two guys playing goal now, we would be a lot better. Not saying a for sure play off team, but much better. The goaltending is awful. Hutton the veteran isn't playing. Why? He is terrible 

6 minutes ago, Thorny said:

It doesn't matter if one is more impactful than the other - why does the barometer have to be to prove the BIGGEST issue as if there can only be ONE thing that's preventing us from winning? Make your arguments, I just don't understand the need to desire to try and boil it down to "The" problem. If we had a better team around the goalie, it would be costing us wins. The statistics say the backup goaltending has not been good enough to be that of a winning team. It's an issue going forward (and has been)

- - - 

Here are the stats:

We have 12 points in 11 games in the contests Ullmark has started. 

We have 3 points in 9 games in the contest Hutton has started. 

The idea the goaltending isn't costing us points is a myth. Whether by raw performance or the way the team is playing around the goalies in question, we are getting THREE TIMES the amount of points in games Ullmark played relative to Hutton. Of course it's making a difference towards winning! 1.09 points per games played w/ullmark, 0.33 with Hutton. 

This is a standings difference of 62 points over an 82 game season.

Of course you expect weaker performance from a backup, but the discrepancy in the output from the team depending on the goaltender is ridiculous.

And Adams expected to be relying on Hutton in a key back up role in a playoff race. Derp. 

I don't believe there is one problem. I don't know if there is single thing in your post I would disagree with.

I do believe the performance of the top six has hurt the team more than Carter Hutton and I was responding to @bob_sauve28's post that implied goalie was the biggest problem.

5 minutes ago, GASabresIUFAN said:

Lets face it, the team stinks.  The big $ forwards can't score.  The D is a offensive leaning group playing in a D first system and our goalies can't be relied on to make a key save when we need them.  Add to the mess a coach who makes terrible line choices, destroys player confidence by forcing square pegs into round holes, and who coaches an inflexible system that continually fails to put players in their best position to succeed.  Furthering adding fuel to the fire is an unqualified rookie GM who failed to address the glaring need for goalie improvement in the off-season or during the season so far and clearly lacks the authority to fire the terrible bully coach and what do you get? The Buffalo Sabres.  

That pretty much sums it up. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I don't believe there is one problem. I don't know if there is single thing in your post I would disagree with.

I do believe the performance of the top six has hurt the team more than Carter Hutton and I was responding to @bob_sauve28's post that implied goalie was the biggest problem.

Ok, well, would you say it would be easier to improve the team with fixing the goaltending than trying to fix the top six? 

And the top six has led the way to a top PP unit, just sayin 

I think people are also forgetting that we are comparing goaltending prior to all of the injuries (and Skinner benching) versus what we've seen afterwards.  Ullmark's performance may not have been as good after all the other circumstances have played out.  We cannot compare.

2 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Ah, ok. I saw he said "you can't win with goaltending this bad" or whatever and I think he's right. I guess I inferred the idea that he wasn't saying it was necessarily the biggest issue, cause something can be preventing you from winning and not be the only thing do so. You had quoted and said "the" problem so I dumbly took that too literally. 

5 minutes ago, bob_sauve28 said:

Ok, well, would you say it would be easier to improve the team with fixing the goaltending than trying to fix the top six? 

And the top six has led the way to a top PP unit, just sayin 

I also think the system quite clearly stifles offense, which probably accounts for at least a decent portion of the top 6 considering it's EVERYONE (Jack has been hurt, look - he probably transcended the system last year, that's how good he is), while it benefits and insulated defenders and goaltending because it is such low event. 

Hutton isn't a Krueger issue, it's an Adams issue 

It's actually not presenting itself as terribly as it should be, given the stats, because of so much other stuff going wrong. It was a colossal mistake that's sometimes mentioned as "doesn't matter cause we can't score anyways". 

Which even if sometimes true, doesn't address the asset evaluation from Adams, and that's an issue because it pertains to the future. 

Edited by Thorny

39 minutes ago, WildCard said:

40 minutes ago, WildCard said:

This franchise really is averse to using the otherwise-pointless time they generate by being so bad, for experimentation  doing anything correctly

56 minutes ago, Randall Flagg said:

This franchise really is averse to using the otherwise-pointless time they generate by being so bad, for experimentation 

Wrong sequence above...but my point is they can't do anything right as well.  Aside from the long running on-ice disaster...they screw up even the simple events....remember the 50th jersey fiasco with cheap imitation jerseys and wrong spelling?  Some of their other events were really LAME as well....ex. Hasek's jersey retirement was pitiful.  

If RaKru deliberately threw shade on Skinner — I'm not sure he did, and I love a quote conspiracy theory as much as anyone — it could easily be interpreted as the coach knowing that his job is totally secure. You wouldn't be that overt (or careless) if you thought your job was in jeopardy.

If the Pegulas hired Ralph to be Sean 2.0 and establish a new culture, they could be 100% behind the treatment of Skinner lock, stock and barrel — the fourth line, the benching, the quote. Cull out the ones who don't fit.

RaKru might not be. Going. Nowhere. Or whatever the big lug said of Lindy.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

If RaKru deliberately threw shade on Skinner — I'm not sure he did, and I love a quote conspiracy theory as much as anyone — it could easily be interpreted as the coach knowing that his job is totally secure. You wouldn't be that overt (or careless) if you thought your job was in jeopardy.

If the Pegulas hired Ralph to be Sean 2.0 and establish a new culture, they could be 100% behind the treatment of Skinner lock, stock and barrel — the fourth line, the benching, the quote. Cull out the ones who don't fit.

You took a quote conspiracy theory and turned it into some serious fake moon landing stuff.

Meanwhile, I have to keep visiting this site every 20 minutes to see if Krueger is fired yet.

1 minute ago, John Tucker said:

tpegs.jpg

That is funny.  And I know exactly when and where that photo was taken!

4 minutes ago, PASabreFan said:

Krueger might be going nowhere much like the team he coaches but I am going. I can't sit anymore and discuss a team that doesn't care. It isn't good for my mental health to dwell on this perennial loser that can't help but make mistake after mistake even when the obvious answer is staring at them.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

Krueger might be going nowhere much like the team he coaches but I am going. I can't sit anymore and discuss a team that doesn't care. It isn't good for my mental health to dwell on this perennial loser that can't help but make mistake after mistake even when the obvious answer is staring at them.

We may have an opening in our fantasy baseball league.  Interested?

2 minutes ago, Eleven said:

You took a quote conspiracy theory and turned it into some serious fake moon landing stuff.

Meanwhile, I have to keep visiting this site every 20 minutes to see if Krueger is fired yet.

That is funny.  And I know exactly when and where that photo was taken!

That time Terry looked at Niagara Falls and wondered how much it would cost to buy it and drill under it? I mean, the water source is built right in.

Also — you might be the only fan left who doesn't believe Terry is a meddling schmuck.