Taylor Hall signing: 8 million one yr with Sabres

39 minutes ago, Radar said:

I'm dishing up some myself, come on over!

I gather a Veloute Mushroom Sauce is the best for crow.  Looks like asparagus, multi-coloured carrots, small multi-coloured potatoes, and parsnips are good sides.  Add a pears and apples with a Waldorf-like salad, except that I substitute balsamic vinaigrette for mayonnaise.  White wine, semi-dry.

Who else is joining us?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
5 minutes ago, Taro T said:

Hall had really good things to say about Krueger when he was hired.  Have to believe the possibility to play for Krueger again alongside Eichel getting fed outlet passes from Dahlin has him thinking this MAY be a long term thing.

PS - like the avatar.

I would have thought RK would have a little at least a little to do with him signing. Sounded like the Edm was trending upward before organizational changes were made and RK was booted. Looks like it worked. 

The avatar was a wish I had for a new 3rd jersey after they went BACK to the blue and gold to combine the black and red era with the current. I still have the B&R 3rd Jersey, and not giving it up. Lol. 

Looking at the bigger picture and KA addressed our center problem and penalty killing, while adding an elite winger to the top 6 which should also pay dividends on the power play.  We just need another goalie.  Can't complain honestly.  Oh and JBot was a really bad GM. 

• Like (+1) 3
1 minute ago, Gatorman0519 said:

Looking at the bigger picture and KA addressed our center problem and penalty killing, while adding an elite winger to the top 6 which should also pay dividends on the power play.  We just need another goalie.  Can't complain honestly.  Oh and JBot was a really bad GM. 

There is a part of me that wonders if the Pegulas put too much trust in the NHL Ol' Boyz Grapevine -- both TM and JB were very highly regarded when the Sabres hired them.  Indeed, there are people in NHL media who put no blame on JB for the Sabres the last three years; it's almost as if they take PA's criticism of the Pegulas' meddling to an extreme.

• Like (+1) 3
1 minute ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

There is a part of me that wonders if the Pegulas put too much trust in the NHL Ol' Boyz Grapevine -- both TM and JB were very highly regarded when the Sabres hired them.  Indeed, there are people in NHL media who put no blame on JB for the Sabres the last three years; it's almost as if they take PA's criticism of the Pegulas' meddling to an extreme.

Agreed.  JBot should never be near a FO again.  Just brutal. 

Saw this lineup on Twitter. 

Hall-Eichel-VO

Skinner-Staal-Cozens (My concern is he’s not ready for Top 6 Role)

Thompson-Eakin-Reinhart ( This is similar to Tuch-Eakin-Pacioretty line which Eakin had his most success with) 

Rieder/Zemgus-Lazar-Okposo 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thanks (+1) 1
1 hour ago, miles said:

the stealing of staal alone is more than jbot

Meh. We gave up a solid 3rd liner for Staal. 

JNot gave up Pu for Skinner. I get the Botts hatred, but come on. Everyone is giving Adams credit for a signing that seems like he had almost nothing to do with. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Like (+1) 1
5 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hall-Eichel-VO

Thompson-Eakin-Reinhart ( This is similar to Tuch-Eakin-Pacioretty line which Eakin had his most success with) 

I don't see any circumstance in which Reinhart is not on one of the top two lines. 

1 minute ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Meh. We gave up a solid 3rd liner for Staal. 

JNot gave up Pu for Skinner. I get the Botts hatred, but come on. 

Leaving the roster stripped of true 2c and 3c is not only inexcusable but absurd.

9 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hall-Eichel-VO

I’d definitely switch out Cozens for Reinhart on the 2nd line

• Like (+1) 1

While I'm surprised Hall chose here for his one year (say, 1x$6.5M at Colorado) instead of chasing a championship. That's not to say we can't win a championship, I just think there are better contenders out there next year...

What doesn't surprise me is the shrewdness of a one-year deal this season from both sides. Hall can boost his numbers and decide if he wants to be in the Sabres' future. The one-year deal means he can walk, and also means the Sabres don't have to protect him and can instead protect a younger core player and let Seattle choose from bottom six players. Or give them a pick or two to take Okposo.

• Like (+1) 4

That is not an excuse.

It is. From what I understood, part of the JNot plan was to shed space to eventually get where the Sabres were this offseason. 

Now KA is enjoying the fruits of his patience and labor. 

It is. From what I understood, part of the JNot plan was to shed space to eventually get where the Sabres were this offseason. 

Now KA is enjoying the fruits of his patience and labor. 

Jnot created his own problems. 

What a difference cap space can make. 

I would have been OK with Eichel with Larry, and another pair of #4 actual NHL centres with NHL-calibre wingers.  That is a trivial ask and GMJB could not even do that.

• Like (+1) 1
43 minutes ago, Marvin, Sabres Fan said:

I gather a Veloute Mushroom Sauce is the best for crow.  Looks like asparagus, multi-coloured carrots, small multi-coloured potatoes, and parsnips are good sides.  Add a pears and apples with a Waldorf-like salad, except that I substitute balsamic vinaigrette for mayonnaise.  White wine, semi-dry.

Who else is joining us?

I’m in

and he also created them and had plenty of opportunities to fix them... 2 years with no centers... nobody does that 

I’m pretty sure Jack Eichel is a center. 

Maybe even a centaur. 

Edited by Andrew Amerk
  • Haha (+1) 1
19 minutes ago, Brawndo said:

Hall-Eichel-VO

12 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I don't see any circumstance in which Reinhart is not on one of the top two lines. 

So, a few weeks ago, if someone had told us that the Sabres had added Taylor Hall and Eric Staal to their top 6, AND that Cozens was such a force of nature in training camp that he forced his way in and Reino to 3RW, I think 97% of us would have been insanely psyched for opening night. 

And, as long as we're entertaining the idea, it's worth noting that Reino is an RFA, and the Sabres just gave Montour, also an RFA, a contract that walked him to UFA.  A 2-year contract would similarly walk Reino to UFA.  If they gave him that contract, the Sabres might find themselves, next offseason, in the position of choosing between a fat extension for Hall and a fat extension for Reino.  That would be an interesting subplot, and would probably motivate both guys throughout the season, and would lend extra weight to the question of which one plays with Eichel.

• Like (+1) 1

SabreSpace insider @john wawrow:  https://apnews.com/article/edmonton-oilers-nhl-edmonton-taylor-hall-hockey-169763225eec3e3839a6bf603db4e068

The deal came together after the Sabres made landing Hall their top priority in free agency, with second-year coach Ralph Krueger playing an integral role.

Krueger was an assistant in Edmonton during Hall’s rookie season, and then spent the 2012-13 lockout shortened year as the Oilers coach. In Hall’s one season playing under Krueger, he had 16 goals and 34 assists for 50 points in 45 games.

“I think the way that Ralph had built a relationship with Taylor previously, absolutely played a big role in this,” Adams said. “I know they spent quite a bit of time over the last few days talking. That to me is what’s critical in this, that we got to a place on both sides that there was a comfort level and we all wanted the same thing.”

• Thanks (+1) 2