Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
gilbert11

So, why couldn’t the Sabres sign a Ilya Sorokin?

Recommended Posts

Hello, GM Adams?  You there?
 

Did the Islanders still have the rights to Sorokin after 6 years?  I read they signed him to an entry level contract for this year, even though he can’t play, so he became a Restricted Free Agent to sign for next season.  Dude had Save % .93 and above for the last 3 KHL seasons.  With the KHL play being very wide open, that’s really damn good.

Would a smart GM work behind the scenes to make a deal for the rights to a Sorokin so they could sign him?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

Hello, GM Adams?  You there?
 

Did the Islanders still have the rights to Sorokin after 6 years?  I read they signed him to an entry level contract for this year, even though he can’t play, so he became a Restricted Free Agent to sign for next season.  Dude had Save % .93 and above for the last 3 KHL seasons.  With the KHL play being very wide open, that’s really damn good.

Would a smart GM work behind the scenes to make a deal for the rights to a Sorokin so they could sign him?  

Wasn’t Sorokin exclusive rights to the Islanders? We had as much of shot at signing him as we do Lafreniere.

Edited by dudacek

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

Hello, GM Adams?  You there?
 

Did the Islanders still have the rights to Sorokin after 6 years?  I read they signed him to an entry level contract for this year, even though he can’t play, so he became a Restricted Free Agent to sign for next season.  Dude had Save % .93 and above for the last 3 KHL seasons.  With the KHL play being very wide open, that’s really damn good.

Would a smart GM work behind the scenes to make a deal for the rights to a Sorokin so they could sign him?  

I believe that the Islanders did in fact still hold his rights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, dudacek said:

Wasn’t Sorokin exclusive rights to the Islanders? We had as much of shot at signing him as we do Lafreniere.

That’s what I was asking.  The Islanders drafted him in 2014.  I thought there was like a 3 year window to sign drafted players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, gilbert11 said:

That’s what I was asking.  The Islanders drafted him in 2014.  I thought there was like a 3 year window to sign drafted players.

Two years junior and four years college. I thought Europe is four years as well, so you raise a good question. Maybe they can retain his rights by offering him a contract, even if he doesn’t sign?

That Kaprizov kid the Wild just signed might fit the same scenarios.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read recently that KHL draft picks retain rights forever, I really don't know much about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, rakish said:

I read recently that KHL draft picks retain rights forever, I really don't know much about it.

This is true the Sabres still hold the rights to Artyom Kryukov who was their First Round Pick in 2000 at 15th Overall.  He remained in the KHL and retired after the 2015-16 Season. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Brawndo said:

This is true the Sabres still hold the rights to Artyom Kryukov who was their First Round Pick in 2000 at 15th Overall.  He remained in the KHL and retired after the 2015-16 Season. 

🤮

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they signed him to an ELC last year, draft pick rights are no longer a question here since he has an NHL contract already. 
 

edit: Oops I misread that part about when the contract was signed. 

Edited by shrader

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brawndo said:

This is true the Sabres still hold the rights to Artyom Kryukov who was their First Round Pick in 2000 at 15th Overall.  He remained in the KHL and retired after the 2015-16 Season. 

For unto us, there is a lurker waiting to be born.  And his name shall be ....Artyom "Fowl" Kryukov.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Curt said:

I believe that the Islanders did in fact still hold his rights.

Why don't we trade them a 3rd round draft pick for the right to talk to him? 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, PerreaultForever said:

Why don't we trade them a 3rd round draft pick for the right to talk to him? 

Because they don't want to trade him or his rights. 

12 hours ago, gilbert11 said:

Hello, GM Adams?  You there?
 

Did the Islanders still have the rights to Sorokin after 6 years?  I read they signed him to an entry level contract for this year, even though he can’t play, so he became a Restricted Free Agent to sign for next season.  Dude had Save % .93 and above for the last 3 KHL seasons.  With the KHL play being very wide open, that’s really damn good.

Would a smart GM work behind the scenes to make a deal for the rights to a Sorokin so they could sign him?  

Or, the Islanders didn't want to trade him. So a smart GM regardless of how smart he is couldn't do anything. 

There are lots of legitimate reasons to be annoyed with the Sabres but this isn't one. Another team signing a player they owned the rights too and want, what are we supposed  to do? Overpay and screw this team up further?

Edited by LGR4GM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Because they don't want to trade him or his rights. 

Or, the Islanders didn't want to trade him. So a smart GM regardless of how smart he is couldn't do anything. 

There are lots of legitimate reasons to be annoyed with the Sabres but this isn't one. Another team signing a player they owned the rights too and want, what are we supposed  to do? Overpay and screw this team up further?

The CBA clearly states that draft pick rights are retained for 4 years for any player drafted from a team outside of North America (2 years if drafted at age 20).  So if anyone was reporting that they still had his rights, I don't know what rules could make that possible.  That said, in cases like this, I think the players have had a good working relationship with the team through years of communication.  Minnesota would have had the same thing recently with their signing of Kaprizov, drafted in 2015.  I have seen stuff listing these guys as prospects for those teams prior to the signings, I just don't know how that can actually be the case:
 

Quote

 

(d) Players Drafted from a Club Outside North America.


(i) Notwithstanding any provision of Sections 8.6(a) or (b) to the contrary, if
a Player drafted at age 18 or 19 is drafted from a club outside North
America, his drafting Club shall retain the exclusive right of negotiation
for his services through and including the fourth June 1 following his
selection in the Entry Draft. The Club need not make a Bona Fide Offer to
such Player to retain such rights.

 

 

It's different than with guys like Kryukov, not that it really matters.  He was drafted under a previous CBA with a different set of rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could have qualified him to retain his rights even if he did not sign and come over, correct?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, LGR4GM said:

They could have qualified him to retain his rights even if he did not sign and come over, correct?

That isn't done with the european picks.  It's the "bona fide offer" mentioned in that section.  All I can think is that there is some addition at the end of the document that relates specifically to the KHL and the lack of a transfer agreement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, shrader said:

That isn't done with the european picks.  It's the "bona fide offer" mentioned in that section.  All I can think is that there is some addition at the end of the document that relates specifically to the KHL and the lack of a transfer agreement.

hmm that could be. Everything I read seems to indicate the Islanders were the only option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LGR4GM said:

hmm that could be. Everything I read seems to indicate the Islanders were the only option. 

Why would he come here anyway?

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They did something I've never seen before...they signed him to an ELC and immediately gave him a $2M extension.

Sorokin, Shesterkin and Merzlikins are about to take the NHL by storm...and we still have Carter Hutton. Lol.

Edited by OhMyDahlin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2020 at 9:18 AM, OhMyDahlin said:

They did something I've never seen before...they signed him to an ELC and immediately gave him a $2M extension.

Sorokin, Shesterkin and Merzlikins are about to take the NHL by storm...and we still have Carter Hutton. Lol.

I wonder if the Rangers would move Georgiev? Lundquist still has a few years as a mentor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 8:12 PM, gilbert11 said:

That’s what I was asking.  The Islanders drafted him in 2014.  I thought there was like a 3 year window to sign drafted players.

the research is fairly easy.  You tried to make Adams look foolish, but instead it looks good on you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...