COVID-19

Indabuff

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

This thread is the worst ever (at least the last several pages).  Much worse than the tank era threads.

What ever happened to the unwritten (unwritten because it should not have to be written) cardinal rule around here of 'making it about the post and not the poster'.

The personal attacks by two posters in here are terrible.  I am really surpirsed by one of them.  The other it's a pattern.

Who makes the posts?

40 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

Yes.  It's called a pandemic.  Maybe you've heard about it up in your idyllic corner of the world, where you can avoid human contact to the point that you can smugly avoid the virus.  Me, I live in a densely populated area.  I think @Cascade Youth said it best:

Too many people in my state, particularly leaders and those who *should* know better, don't give a ***** about the greater good and it's ridiculous the number of deaths they're causing, 3,768 in my county alone, for instance.  Nova Scotia has managed to keep the death toll down to 94 cases, roughly 1 in 10,000 people.  In my county, one in every 550 people has already died of this disease. 

My wife is immunocompromised.  She's vaccinated but we don't know if her body has built up the same resistance to the disease as a healthy person.  She works as a school teacher.  Our ***** governor is literally putting her in harm's way by forbidding a mask mandate at her school and other measures to slow down the spread of the disease.

So when people actively work against vaccination, the most effective tool against the disease right now, that's what's going on with me.

I am at an advantage over many in where I live.  I am not smug about it.  Most in Nova Scotia take this seriously and we are very isolated from the rest of the world basically.  It is a huge advantage and an even bigger advantage is that we listen and do as we are told for the most part.

I understand your frustration with the situation, but the focus should not be on the relatively few that will not get the vaccine for whatever reason.  The root of your issues are directly linked to your governments in action, or bad actions.

Just now, Doohickie said:

If it was a relative few people who refused the vaccine that would be fine.  It's basically half the population which makes it that much harder to get to anything like herd immunity.

What?  

Are you saying upwards of 150 million in the US are refusing the vaccine?  WOW!!  I did not realize it was that high.

Here in NS about 100,000 out of about 800,000 eligable have not been vacinated.  The number is hovering at around 12% of eligible have not and it has not changed much in the last month, or so.  It seems that this is where we will stay ... roughly 10%, which has our Public Health Department thinking herd immunity will be reasonably in place.  I am not sure what the numbers are in the rest of Canada, but the vast majority are being vaccinated.

You really do have a problem down there.  Sorry about your wife's condition and the fact that she is likely to be in a compromised situation with her work.  That can't be easy to deal with.  I understand the stress that you are under.

I also apologize for calling you out on your post to Woody.  I don't agree with what you said to him, but I understand where it came from.

One fine day, I hope, this will all be behind us.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doohickie said:

So if they say, "I don't believe I have cancer" when they're stage 4, you're okay with that?  How very kind of you.

I think the better analogue is someone who has stage 4 cancer but decides against treatment, maybe?  But even then, cancer isn't contagious.

Edited by Eleven
  • Like (+1) 1

The vaccine doesn’t stop the spread. Y’all claim to understand science yet keep stumbling over this same nonsense. 

A schoolteacher who is immunocompromised needs to find a new job. Seriously. I’m sure the government and school can figure something out. Blaming kids for not wearing masks or mask mandates is silly. Kids eat each other’s boogers that’s what they do. Masks don’t stop that. It just stunts their growth. 

Though I’m not surprised, schools approach to having one kid with peanut allergies is prevent everyone in the school from having peanuts at all. Not a lot of common sense. 

Edited by triumph_communes

34 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Got it.

There isn't.

Look, I'm sorry you're offended by what I wrote.  You've reported me so I'll live with the consequences.  I have a ton of family in NS believe it or not, and they're just like me in tearing their hair out over the unvaccinated resisters.  Anyhow.  There are posts upthread that are posting outright lies about the science and the medical situation, coupled with conspiracy theories about Big Pharma.  Woody, a self-proclaimed medical professional, seems to be cheering them on for reasons that only he can understand but I feel well within my bounds to call him out for being so irresponsible.  I am just beyond sick of it all and I'm sorry if I've gone too far in expressing it - but this is literally life and death to me.  I've lost people to COVID.  I'm concerned for my kids if this thing lingers and mutates.

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

The vaccine doesn’t stop the spread. Y’all claim to understand science yet keep stumbling over this same nonsense. 

Like this for example - this is a complete lie, but it's allowed to wallow here for all eternity but hey, at least it doesn't attack any poster.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

Repeating things like this here and on other message boards is going to kill someone.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

A schoolteacher who is immunocompromised needs to find a new job. Seriously. I’m sure the government and school can figure something out. Blaming kids for not wearing masks or mask mandates is silly. Kids eat each other’s boogers that’s what they do. Masks don’t stop that. It just stunts their growth. 

Though I’m not surprised, schools approach to having one kid with peanut allergies is prevent everyone in the school from having peanuts at all. Not a lot of common sense. 

it reduces the threat and prevents serious illness, hospitalizations and death

7 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Look, I'm sorry you're offended by what I wrote.  You've reported me so I'll live with the consequences.  I have a ton of family in NS believe it or not, and they're just like me in tearing their hair out over the unvaccinated resisters.  Anyhow.  There are posts upthread that are posting outright lies about the science and the medical situation, coupled with conspiracy theories about Big Pharma.  Woody, a self-proclaimed medical professional, seems to be cheering them on for reasons that only he can understand but I feel well within my bounds to call him out for being so irresponsible.  I am just beyond sick of it all and I'm sorry if I've gone too far in expressing it - but this is literally life and death to me.  I've lost people to COVID.  I'm concerned for my kids if this thing lingers and mutates.

Like this for example - this is a complete lie, but it's allowed to wallow here for all eternity but hey, at least it doesn't attack any poster.

First off, the only time I've ever actually stepped in for someone was for NS when I was cheering HIS decision, which is sound. He was being unnecessarily bullied and I don't like seeing that at all. 2nd, no, I am not out here agreeing with conspiracies and nonsense; my sister is a huge anti-vaxxer and conspiracist and I tell her where she can shove it all the time. 

The truth is that ever since this pandemic started, there has been a lot of muting of people with sound questions, yes there are many many that are just dumb and we can't do anything to fix that; what I'm dealing with, as I've stated before is the less that ideal bullying of those with actual sound concerns. 

Lastly, please quit questioning my medical knowledge on here, I've been here long enough and know a lot of people here personally, I've built hospitals in 3rd world countries out of my own heart and funds, I do medicine the best I can, but that doesn't mean I'm not allowed to have an opinion and also not standing up against bullying. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

CDC outright has stated repeatedly it doesnt stop anyone from transmitting.  They also have never shown any data on reductions of transmissions related to vaccine status. It’s been entirely lockdowns/masks and no controlled studies on the former. 

But you’re the oh so expert I’m sure. Government has never done any wrong. 

you’re doing a great job making enemies and dehumanizing people being critical of their government. Real freaking brave of you. 

26 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

Edited by triumph_communes

20 minutes ago, nucci said:

it reduces the threat and prevents serious illness, hospitalizations and death

Yes. Though I will argue for healthy individuals below 35 the risk reduction is very debateable. Granted that excludes all the obese people that’s 70% of the populace.. but I’ll digress 

Same with all the nonsense with kids now. The ones dying are the morbidly obese kids yet they’re making it out to be something else. It’s Darwinism finally catching up 

5 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

CDC outright has stated repeatedly it doesnt stop anyone from transmitting.  

What are you talking about?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

"A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) are less likely than unvaccinated persons to acquire SARS-CoV-2 or to transmit it to others."

2 minutes ago, Cascade Youth said:

What are you talking about?

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/science/science-briefs/fully-vaccinated-people.html

"A growing body of evidence indicates that people fully vaccinated with an mRNA vaccine (Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna) are less likely than unvaccinated persons to acquire SARS-CoV-2 or to transmit it to others."

All they’ve done is a few very tiny studies show a lower viral load.  Read the references.  None of which have statistical power of any sort to them. The statement above is pure conjecture.  Presenting otherwise is BAD science. There is much better data/science that ivermectin Dave’s patients than there is to back this claim. 

Jones NK, Rivett L, Seaman S, Samworth RJ, Warne B, Workman C, et al. Single-dose BNT162b2 vaccine protects against asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. Elife. 2021;10.

Levine-Tiefenbrun M, Yelin I, Katz R, Herzel E, Golan Z, Schreiber L, et al. Initial report of decreased SARS-CoV-2 viral load after inoculation with the BNT162b2 vaccine. Nat Med. 2021;27(5):790-2.

McEllistrem MC, Clancy CJ, Buehrle DJ, Lucas A, Decker BK. Single dose of a mRNA SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is associated with lower nasopharyngeal viral load among nursing home residents with asymptomatic COVID-19. Clin Infect Dis. 2021.

Petter E MO, Zuckerman N, et al. Initial real world evidence for lower viral load of individuals who have been vaccinated by BNT162b2. medRxiv. 2021;https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.08.21251329v1external icon.

2 minutes ago, triumph_communes said:

All they’ve done is a few very tiny studies show a lower viral load.  Read the references.  None of which have statistical power of any sort to them. The statement above is pure conjecture.  Presenting otherwise is BAD science. There is much better data/science that ivermectin Dave’s patients than there is to back this claim. 

Jones NK, Rivett L, Seaman S, Samworth RJ, Warne B, Workman C, et al. Single-dose BNT162b2 vaccine protects against asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infection. Elife. 2021;10.

Levine-Tiefenbrun M, Yelin I, Katz R, Herzel E, Golan Z, Schreiber L, et al. Initial report of decreased SARS-CoV-2 viral load after inoculation with the BNT162b2 vaccine. Nat Med. 2021;27(5):790-2.

McEllistrem MC, Clancy CJ, Buehrle DJ, Lucas A, Decker BK. Single dose of a mRNA SARS-CoV-2 vaccine is associated with lower nasopharyngeal viral load among nursing home residents with asymptomatic COVID-19. Clin Infect Dis. 2021.

Petter E MO, Zuckerman N, et al. Initial real world evidence for lower viral load of individuals who have been vaccinated by BNT162b2. medRxiv. 2021;https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.02.08.21251329v1external icon.

I think you're talking past each other. The CDC link above says two-dose (Pfizer and Moderna), and those links all appear to be talking about single-dose, right?

I am not going to get dragged into a non-vax debate.  I am not vaccinated for reasons that I have clearly outlined ... YET.  I am NOT anti-vax.  I am fortunate to be in a position to be able to wait and see what happens.

All I will say is that the vaccines have not been out long enough for anyone to really say how well they will work long-term.  When the leading country in vaccination rates (Israel) and the first to say that the country is fully vaccinated yet they are now calling for booster shots then something tells me the vaccines will not be the complete answer to this.

• Thanks (+1) 1